Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    In Natalie we trust.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Festat View Post
    In Natalie we trust.

ZOMG the responsibility!
    Natalie

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wagner: Der Fliegende Hollander, Klemperer. 1968

Theo Adam,
    Anja Silja,
    Martti Talvela,
    Ernst Kozub,
    Gerhard Unger,
    Annelies Burmeister
    BBC Chorus & New Philharmonia Orchestra
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Post Thanks / Like
    Walter Felsenstein Edition - Beethoven: Fidelio film on DVD:

Vienna State Opera Chorus
    Vienna Symphony Orchestra
    Fritz Lehmann, conductor
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Senior Member Involved Member Nekrotzar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, now I really had no idea so many Fidelio DVDs actually existed. Who are the singers on that one?
    If you would seek salvation, remember this:
    a life in Hell can still aspire to BLISS.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekrotzar View Post
    Okay, now I really had no idea so many Fidelio DVDs actually existed. Who are the singers on that one?

The singers on this DVD are likely to be unknown to most, and the video likely on the primitive side since it would have been produced in the 1960s or 70s in the former East Berlin. The East German government (usually referred to as the DDR or GDR) kept tight wraps on their artists, allowing little foreign travel.

A while back, I bought the DVD by Walter Felsenstein and the Komische Oper of Tales of Hoffmann, the first opera I ever saw, but which I have been kind of afraid to watch.

The whole production, in my memory, was outstanding - it would have to have been to capture the attention of a 21 year old in 1972.

The most famous sequence was the first, Olympia. For her final and rightly famous aria, they had fashioned a doll that was the absolute spitting image of the soprano and then somehow managed a switch, substituting the doll for the real singer, with Olympia sitting in some kind of chair that popped out from stage right. At the end of the aria, when the doll falls apart, they had her head and limbs on springs that suddenly, well, exploded. No one in the audience was prepared because the substitution was done so cleverly everyone thought it was still the soprano. OMG! I was stunned. My memory of this is so strong that I fear watching the real thing would be a disappointment.
    Last edited by Hoffmann; August 29th, 2015 at 12:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekrotzar View Post
    I have not watched it yet but have read several reviews. In most cases the singers are dubbed in to actors. In the case of Leonore, there are three women: one to act, one to sing, and one to do the spoken parts. As I understand it, the thought parts are sung but the actors don't lip sync those parts to show they are thoughts. You can read about this unique production and its cast here. If you don't want to read the whole linked article, I tried to present the gist of it in a single paragraph, mostly of phrases and sentences taken from the article:

In a post-WWII Austria, the Soviets ran the studio, leading to numerous textual and musical changes due to military censors. The studios ended up with enormous debts and no funds to finish dubbing, complete complex editing sequences, or re-shoot the final scene. Further major musical cuts were made in material already shot. Finally the film was finished. It is deliberately and defiantly old-fashioned. Thoughts are handled different than spoken words. When Rocco sings openly in the act II dungeon scene, Florestan’s thoughts are sung in his mind. It all looks so real that the viewer seems almost an invader upon something holy and private. I can think of no other production of Fidelio that captures as much of its raw spirit. Sound is PCM stereo, though there is some moderate loss of the upper frequencies. The picture, at times, has overly contrasted and occasionally unevenly lit sequences, but for the most part there is great definition to the screen image. If Fidelio moves you as an expression of human empathy, you really should see this.

Post Thanks / Like

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    HOO BOY!!

The place shook as "her nibs" left in a state of high dudgeon (conservative impression on my part) after being told that Blu rays of Le Comte Ory, Elisir, Maria Stuarda, Il Barbiere , La Donna Del Lago and Macbeth had been pre ordered.

Sometimes the Biblical adage "... you shall know the truth and the truth will set you free" is a bit inaccurate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    HOO BOY!!

The place shook as "her nibs" left in a state of high dudgeon (conservative impression on my part) after being told that Blu rays of Le Comte Ory, Elisir, Maria Stuarda, Il Barbiere , La Donna Del Lago and Macbeth had been pre ordered.

Sometimes the Biblical adage "... you shall know the truth and the truth will set you free" is a bit inaccurate.

I don't know what could be wrong - those all seem to be strong choices to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    I don't know what could be wrong - those all seem to be strong choices to me.
    Brother, when that woman goes on a "keep to the budget" kick, there is a whole new dimension to that "Hell hath no fury ...." thing!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    Brother, when that woman goes on a "keep to the budget" kick, there is a whole new dimension to that "Hell hath no fury ...." thing!!
    Oh. That. Yes, I seem to recall Mom and Dad back when having a go-around on the subject now and then. I don't have anyone to answer to (well, other than my sister who indeed has accused me of living "an extravagant lifestyle"), so mostly have lost this perspective.

When the new DVDs arrive, probably shouldn't start by suggesting that you both watch Macbeth...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Oh. That. Yes, I seem to recall Mom and Dad back when having a go-around on the subject now and then. I don't have anyone to answer to (well, other than my sister who indeed has accused me of living "an extravagant lifestyle"), so mostly have lost this perspective.

When the new DVDs arrive, probably shouldn't start by suggesting that you both watch Macbeth...
    Actually yes. She's a big opera fan; she's just not a big buying opera fan right now.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    When I saw Berganza on this, I could not help myself and ordered it immediately:

Add this one in too. I see another great, Montarsolo, is in this.