Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My 6th Hollander set:

Post Thanks / Like
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Member Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been listening to different recordings of the three operas at Naxos Music Library, and decided on these. The Marco Polo recording of Der Ferne Klang re-issued on Naxos also sounds good, but the singing is stronger on the Capriccio recording. I decided against Capriccio for Der Schatzgraber, as the fidelity of the Challenge recording is superior. Challenge also has a recording of the Hartmann opera, but the BR Klassik sounds fantastic and is more affordable.

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Christmas gift to myself:

Thank heavens for Presto Classical -- no more waiting until recording labels decide to release new DVDs or CDs on this side of the pond.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post

Thank heavens for Presto Classical -- no more waiting until recording labels decide to release new DVDs or CDs on this side of the pond.
    Presto classical is the bomb diggety. They also reply to your emails, with a real person behind the email. And if you follow up on the email the same person replies!
    Natalie

Member Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Presto classical is the bomb diggety. They also reply to your emails, with a real person behind the email. And if you follow up on the email the same person replies!
    And they pack the hell out of the shipments so you don't end up with damaged product. Anybody try their manufactured on demand CDs? There's a couple I want, but the high prices keep me away. After all, they are CD-Rs even if they claim to be coated for long life.

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a fan of Presto as well. Many times, their pricing for DVDs and Blu rays is much less than in the US, and they are frequently available at an earlier date than here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have also been using Presto Classical for searching out albums. They have great listings, often with quotes from reviews, and often clips (even video clips for DVDs).
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Recent discussions on the Opera Lively favourite cds and dvds thread have led me to this gem which I am greatly enjoying so far.

Name:  61ehJoCihwL.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  71.3 KB
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    After a long time not buying much, I went into a small spree, and got on blu-ray or DVD:

Ennio Porrino's I Shardana - From the Teatro Lirico di Cagliari
    Donizetti's Maria di Rohan - From the Teatro Donizetti in Bergamo, conducted by - weird! - Gregory Kunde!
    Donizetti's Gemma di Vergy - From the Teatro Donizetti in Bergamo as well, but in this one Kunde sings.
    Cilea's L'Arlesiana - from the Fondazione Pergolese Spontini
    Thierry Escaich's Claude - From the Opéra de Lyon, stage direction by Olivier Py
    Rameau's Les Indes Galantes, the new version with Les Talens Lyriques conducted by Christophe Rousset, Opéra National de Bordeaux

Does anybody know anything about these operas/versions? Where these good buys?

I haven't watched any of them, yet. Of course I do know Les Indes Galantes and L'Arlesiana, but the other four operas are new to me which is always exciting.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); December 4th, 2015 at 05:18 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Rameau's Les Indes Galantes, the new version with Les Talens Lyirques conducted by Christophe Rousset, Opéra National de Bordeaux...
    I am looking forward to hearing Luiz's comments on this.

No, wait...

I've heard about this production...

I am look forward to hearing Luiz's comments about this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    I am looking forward to hearing Luiz's comments on this.

No, wait...

I've heard about this production...

I am look forward to hearing Luiz's comments about this.
    I love this production of les Indes Galantes. A great contrast to the other one, with a big nod to contemporary issues. Luiz will love the prologue....
    Natalie

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I love this production of les Indes Galantes. A great contrast to the other one, with a big nod to contemporary issues. Luiz will love the prologue....
    Uh oh! That can only mean one thing ... or should that be two things?
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Uh oh! That can only mean one thing ... or should that be two things?
    ALL the things!

Natalie

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    After a long time not buying much, I went into a small spree, and got on blu-ray or DVD:

Ennio Porrino's I Shardana - From the Teatro Lirico di Cagliari
    Donizetti's Maria di Rohan - From the Teatro Donizetti in Bergamo, conducted by - weird! - Gregory Kunde!
    Donizetti's Gemma di Vergy - From the Teatro Donizetti in Bergamo as well, but in this one Kunde sings.
    Cilea's L'Arlesiana - from the Fondazione Pergolese Spontini
    Thierry Escaich's Claude - From the Opéra de Lyon, stage direction by Olivier Py
    Rameau's Les Indes Galantes, the new version with Les Talens Lyirques conducted by Christophe Rousset, Opéra National de Bordeaux

Does anybody know anything about these operas/versions? Where these good buys?

I haven't watched any of them, yet. Of course I do know Les Indes Galantes and L'Arlesiana, but the other four operas are new to me which is always exciting.
    I've never heard Escaich's opera myself, but here's a summary of the recording review from the November issue of Das Opernglas:

Reviewer’s evaluation: This first opera by noted French composer Thierry Escaich has a libretto by Robert Badinter, the country’s former Minister of Justice, that’s based on Victor Hugo’s novel Claude Gueux. Imprisoned for theft in Hugo’s original, Claude in the opera is a revolutionary, an unemployed worker who lost his job as a result of automation and can no longer feed his family. He’s sent to the Clairvaux prison, where he is constantly tormented by the guards and the prison director. When the tall, robust Claude sees other inmates raping the fragile 19 year-old Albin, he intervenes and beats the others into flight. Claude and the grateful Albin become close friends, and then lovers. When the prison director finds out, he has Albin transferred to another wing of the building and ignores Claude’s fervent pleas to be reunited with his friend. Finally, Claude murders the director and is publicly executed for the deed.
    With sets by Pierre-André Weitz, Olivier Py’s production captures the prison’s brutal atmosphere in an impressive manner. The harassment of the prisoners by the guards is depicted in strong images as the inmates are forced to engage in laborious, completely meaningless tasks. A dismal gray dominates the scenery, with the prison represented by a square, three-level structure, each level separated into three cells. The one exception in all this dreariness is the dancer in white who appears shortly before Claude’s execution, and is a symbol of hope imagined by the condemned man. Jean-Sebastian Bou is vocally and visually an ideal Claude, powerfully built yet lean, with the facial expressions of a rebel. His robust baritone can produce everything from incendiary tones to gentle, tender moments. Countertenor Roberto Ferreira is a delicate Albin, an underdog in life and in prison, whose gratitude toward Claude and the love that develops from it are deeply touching. Jean-Philippe Lafont pulls all the stops of his formidable bass-baritone to convey the prison director’s vile character and his bottomless scorn for humanity. The many smaller roles have also been well cast. Jérémie Rhorer leads the Orchestra and Chorus of the Opéra de Lyon with a passion that’s audible in every measure, including the few lyrical “islands” in Escaich’s score. With its mixture of occasional melodies and taut structure, Escaich’s writing is strongly reminiscent of Dutilleux and Messiaen.