Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #2371
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,947
    Post Thanks / Like
    The guy at the secondhand store let me go in the back room and sift through three piles of CDs that had just come in. I paid $6 for each opera set below, along with some vocal and instrumental music.









    The really bad news: He told me, come Monday I can go into another storage room and be the first to look through about 400 additional CD acquisitions, once they get it all processed.

    I'm listening my way to the poor house.

  2. #2372
    Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    534
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post


    I'm listening my way to the poor house.
    That Cav and Pag looks lovely though. How's the sound quality?
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

  3. #2373
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,947
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    That Cav and Pag looks lovely tho. How's the sound quality?
    Not bad at all for 1953 mono. Just listened to the Cav this morning; powerfully dramatic. If you like Callas at all, you should definitely get this set, her only recorded performances of these two operas.

  4. #2374
    Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    534
    Post Thanks / Like
    Amfortas you are a very bad influence...

    Name:  81KMRUSzUWL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  91.1 KB
    Name:  81rypABsULL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  92.1 KB

    but with that cast list .... You've got the grand trio as well as Panerai whose Sharpless is a highlight on the Scotto Butterfly.
    Been looking for a good cav and pag for a while...
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

  5. #2375
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    3,117
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

  6. #2376
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,467
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh that's a good one!

  7. #2377
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    3,117
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Oh that's a good one!
    I had ordered the Sawallisch set with Silja as Elsa, but the deal fell through when the seller found a missing disk. I am glad now because I think this one is a better set. I compared it side by side with the Sawallish set and like the voices on this one much better and as a fan of Waltraud Meier, this is what I should have ordered in the first place, but at the time this one was expensive. I found a used copy rated "good" online for $12, half what other listings were going for, so grabbed it. That the other deal fell through and this one came up must mean this is the one I am supposed to get.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

  8. #2378
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,544
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    I had ordered the Sawallisch set with Silja as Elsa, but the deal fell through when the seller found a missing disk. I am glad now because I think this one is a better set. I compared it side by side with the Sawallish set and like the voices on this one much better and as a fan of Waltraud Meier, this is what I should have ordered in the first place, but at the time this one was expensive. I found a used copy rated "good" online for $12, half what other listings were going for, so grabbed it. That the other deal fell through and this one came up must mean this is the one I am supposed to get.

    I have the Sawallisch set, but haven't listened to it in a long time - it's hard for me to listen to any other Lohengrin than the Kempe/Thomas/Grümmer/Ludwig recording which is so good. I haven't heard this set with Jerusalem/Meier - and, I, too, love Waltraud Meier (I've been really lucky to see her sing several times, most recently as Ortrud). Somehow, though, as good as she was, I don't quite see Cheryl Studer singing Elsa.

  9. #2379
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Posts
    866
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just pre-ordered the new Blu ray of Faust from Presto Classical, with an estimated shipping date of 2/26.

  10. #2380
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,467
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    I have the Sawallisch set, but haven't listened to it in a long time - it's hard for me to listen to any other Lohengrin than the Kempe/Thomas/Grümmer/Ludwig recording which is so good. I haven't heard this set with Jerusalem/Meier - and, I, too, love Waltraud Meier (I've been really lucky to see her sing several times, most recently as Ortrud). Somehow, though, as good as she was, I don't quite see Cheryl Studer singing Elsa.
    dammit!

    Clayton databases need reconfiguration


    I had it recorded all this time that this was the recording recommended to me by the Hoffmann...



    I am 100% sure it was Hoffmann that directed me to Lohengrin, must just be the *which recording* part of the data files that got corrupted

    - - - Updated - - -

    too much whisky corrupts data files

  11. #2381
    Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    534
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post

    too much whisky corrupts data files
    Depends on the whiskey...
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

  12. #2382
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,947
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went and did it.

    Following up on a tip from last week, I went to my local secondhand store and was shown an upstairs storage room with several tall piles of CDs, just received. After several hours sifting through the inventory, I ended up with the fifteen operas below, mostly classic recordings, along with a half dozen other classical music items. At $3 per disc, plus an additional volume discount when I brought my haul to the register, I don't think I'll suffer too much buyer's remorse.































  13. #2383
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,467
    Post Thanks / Like
    like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, ....

  14. #2384
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    3,117
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    I went and did it.

    Following up on a tip from last week, I went to my local secondhand store and was shown an upstairs storage room with several tall piles of CDs, just received. After several hours sifting through the inventory, I ended up with the fifteen operas below, mostly classic recordings, along with a half dozen other classical music items. At $3 per disc, plus an additional volume discount when I brought my haul to the register, I don't think I'll suffer too much buyer's remorse.
    What a fantastic haul!
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

  15. #2385
    Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    534
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    I went and did it.

    Following up on a tip from last week, I went to my local secondhand store and was shown an upstairs storage room with several tall piles of CDs, just received. After several hours sifting through the inventory, I ended up with the fifteen operas below, mostly classic recordings, along with a half dozen other classical music items. At $3 per disc, plus an additional volume discount when I brought my haul to the register, I don't think I'll suffer too much buyer's remorse.
    That Trittico is the second best I'd say next to Pappano's. While the Schicchi is not my favourite (Gobbi plays evil too well in my mind) the Angelica is brilliant and the Tabarro is also great.
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

Similar Threads

  1. What vocal music have you purchased recently?
    By Clayton in forum Other Classical Vocal Music
    Replies: 411
    Last Post: Yesterday, 05:00 AM
  2. I've been fond of drawing beavers recently
    By Aramis in forum Off-topic discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: April 17th, 2012, 05:57 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS