Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    I would hope that isn't the reason. That cover is so tame compared to what one could find in the usual "girlie" magazines that are available in any book store or magazine shop.

For whatever reason, new recordings, whether DVD or CD, are usually released on this side of the pond much later than they are in Europe. Case in point: the new DVD of Humperdinck's Die Königskinder with Kaufmann as the prince. It's been released in Europe, but I can't even pre-order from Amazon at this point.
    I bet that when released in America, the cover picture will be different. Opera DVD sales are depressed enough that the companies won't risk offending prude older opera lovers, since unfortunately nudity is still a (silly, in my opinion) cultural taboo this side of the pond. So from a marketing perspective, it makes sense to change the picture, as lame as it sounds. The girlie magazine covers aim at a different demographic and a different context, nothing to do with the opera-going crowd. Opera DVD cover picture with nudity? Probably a "no go" in our conservative land, when the corporate heads get together to see how to better market their products.

But reviews of this production in specialized magazines are not very favorable. Anyway, the landmark Glyndebourne production is so *incredibly* good that I think other Giulio Cesare productions will have a really hard time competing. Of course, Ms. Dessay has her own niche of followers so this should still sell reasonably well, but even though I haven't seen this one - not even on YouTube except for a couple of short clips - therefore shouldn't be prejudiced, Glyndebourne has set the bar so high that I can't imagine that this one will climb to preferred status anytime soon.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); August 26th, 2012 at 04:36 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HarpsichordConcerto View Post
    Girls and boys here at OperaLively will soon be adding a new recording of Handel's Rodelinda on DVD/Blu-ray to their collection. See here:- Fleming/Scholl/Handel Rodelinda
    Oh wow, that's a nice change!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A trio of Waltraud Meier will hold me over till MET Ring blu ray arrives......

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    But reviews of this production in specialized magazines are not very favorable. Anyway, the landmark Glyndebourne production is so *incredibly* good that I think other Giulio Cesare productions will have a really hard time competing. Of course, Ms. Dessay has her own niche of followers so this should still sell reasonably well, but even though I haven't seen this one - not even on YouTube except for a couple of short clips - therefore shouldn't be prejudiced, Glyndebourne has set the bar so high that I can't imagine that this one will climb to preferred status anytime soon.
    The Glyndebourne production will remain one of the great opera DVDs, no question. But from what little I've seen of it so far, the Pelly staging goes in a different direction I find intriguing on its own terms.

This is actually a little scary: owning two productions of Giulio Cesare. Am I in danger of becoming a Handel aficionado?

Wagner is rolling over in his grave!

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post

This is actually a little scary: owning two productions of Giulio Cesare. Am I in danger of becoming a Handel aficionado?

You'll have to changed your name!
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    The Glyndebourne production will remain one of the great opera DVDs, no question. But from what little I've seen of it so far, the Pelly staging goes in a different direction I find intriguing on its own terms.

Health warning issued by the International Handel Aficionado Anonymous: more than two versions of Giulio Cesare in Egitto leads to Baroque wig wearing at weekends and a wig collection as well. At your peril!

Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post

That just looks weird! I dunno ...

Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Health warning issued by the International Handel Aficionado Anonymous: more than two versions of Giulio Cesare in Egitto leads to Baroque wig wearing at weekends and a wig collection as well. At your peril!
    I KNEW it. If only I could have resisted the charms of Ewa Podles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wondering how the wig will look with my Wagner silks and satins . . .

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Youtubes looks cool, Waltraud Meir is too good looking for Klytämnestra, the stilted disoriented architecture looks very tomb like, the dead are alive!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is actually really, really good. One of the best stagings I've seen. Rather powerful with excellent acting (singing not as good by the singer doing the main character - Iréne Theorin - who is a bit passed her prime but she does compensate for it with impressive acting). The supporting roles are great and the orchestra is spectacular.

Staging is unsettling but with no distortions - it's very realistic, claustrophobic, and impressive.

This may be my preferred Elektra on video, actually - or at least pretty fierce competition for the one I used to like best thus far, with Eva Marton (it must be understood that I haven't seen the one with Birgit Nilsson).

Our member jflatter has reviewed it (very favorably) [here].
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); August 27th, 2012 at 11:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got this one as well (along with the old Götz Friedrich film featuring Leonie Rysanek). Nikolaus Lehnhoff's production is very powerful, with a knockout ending. Made me appreciate Elektra a good deal more than I had.

Senior Member Involved Member jflatter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gatti's conducting is also a massive plus point in the Lehnhoff Elektra as well.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone see the theme running through this?

I'll give you a hint- it's got the initials KFV .

Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Anyone see the theme running through this?

I'll give you a hint- it's got the initials KFV .
    Hm... let me try. Kentucky Fried Veal?