Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post

I like anything with Nicolai Ghiaurov!

Please tell me again which recordings are the original Boris, pre-Rimsky-Korsakov.

I played in a bridge tournament here in Virginia on 15 July, right after I got back home (I'm sure jet lag was at fault for my poor showing..) and had a great opera conversation with an old friend and the French Ambassador to the U.S. who also is an opera-lover (you never know who is going to show up at these things). My friend, however, had a strong reaction when I told him I had seen the 'original' Boris, stating that he hated that version because it is missing so much great music.

I found the production I saw (co-production with ROH), done in one act, to be riveting and accessible. Pimen, though, becomes the really critical role - barely second to Boris himself.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Please tell me again which recordings are the original Boris, pre-Rimsky-Korsakov.
    Mussorgsky orchestrations on CD (albeit conflated/supersaturated between 1869 and 1872 in most cases)

Gergiev has a double opera set with the pure 1869 (no one else has this) and the 1872. All others have some conflation. You only get the 1869 in the double set. There is a separate 1872 only Gergiev set also.

Fedoseyef, is more or less the 1872 version. No St Basil scene (1869).

Kitaenko, Aage Haugland sings three bass roles (boris, Pimen, and Varlamm). Only six scenes included. Incomplete version.

Rostropovich, supersaturated including most everything from both versions and fool scene in both St Basil (1869) and Kromy Forest (1872).

Semkow, supersatured as Rostropovich but cuts fool episode from Kromy forest scene.

Tchakarov, supersaturated similarly to Rostropovich with both fool scenes.

Two sets of excerpts in Mussorgsky orchestration are Domarkas and Matacic, the latter being sung in German.

There also are Rathaus's and Shostakovich's orchestrations.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Post Thanks / Like
    A Life For The Tsar (a.k.a., Ivan Susanin), but this one apparently is censored:

This recording was made in Bulgaria in the early days of perestroika, before the rehabilitation of the original text. (Here, following Stalin’s 1939 initiative, every major reference to ‘tsar’ is replaced by ‘Russian land’, ‘honour’ or ‘people’.
    Nonetheless, musically I won't notice the difference, and for $6 shipped used VG, can't resist. The Tchakarov set is probably the best but far more costly used.

"Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    I like anything with Nicolai Ghiaurov!

I played in a bridge tournament here in Virginia on 15 July, right after I got back home (I'm sure jet lag was at fault for my poor showing..) and had a great opera conversation with an old friend and the French Ambassador to the U.S. who also is an opera-lover (you never know who is going to show up at these things). My friend, however, had a strong reaction when I told him I had seen the 'original' Boris, stating that he hated that version because it is missing so much great music.

I found the production I saw (co-production with ROH), done in one act, to be riveting and accessible. Pimen, though, becomes the really critical role - barely second to Boris himself.
    How cool to meet the French Ambassador. Vive La France!!

Wiki does a list which shows which recordings have orchestrations by others.

Notes on the ROH co-production which is probably the one you saw. I would have gone but didn't, as I'm not keen on Bryn Terfel's voice. If/when it's revived and another singer takes the role, then I will definitely go.

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    When one can't choose between two iconic recordings of Magic Flute, one simply gets both....

Bohm

Klemperer

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Sound Clips Recorded 1960.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Florestan, do you have this yet? If not, I'd recommend it for your current malady . . . you know, all that Flem you're dealing with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    Florestan, do you have this yet? If not, I'd recommend it for your current malady . . . you know, all that Flem you're dealing with.
    I gave that one some consideration and passed for a number of reasons, one of which: isn't that Dmitri Hvorostovsky guy kind of like another Andrea Bocelli? That would kind of ruin things.

Post Thanks / Like
    I gave that one some consideration and passed for a number of reasons, one of which: isn't that Dmitri Hvorostovsky guy kind of like another Andrea Bocelli? That would kind of ruin things.
    Are you kidding me? Hvorostovsky is a highly respected opera singer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonata View Post
    Are you kidding me? Hvorostovsky is a highly respected opera singer!
    I am not familiar with him and somehow got a mistaken impression then.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not familiar with him and somehow got a mistaken impression then.
    Yes, Florestan, Hvorostovsky is entirely legit. Very good singer, too. Unfortunately he's been ill with a brain tumor.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    OMG Hvorostovsky in his prime was an amazingly good baritone - beautiful tone and depth, breath control!!! And he is excellent as Onegin. I love this DVD. The last scene is the best I have ever seen.
    Natalie

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was about to reply to Florestan but I think there's enough replies there now. Though I will point out one member may have shed a tear with that comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    I was about to reply to Florestan but I think there's enough replies there now. Though I will point out one member may have shed a tear with that comment.

Sorry for you being taken to task Florestan! If this makes up for it, I'm going to thank you for exposing me to this opera:

Khovanshchina- Conducted by Gergiev.
    This is a very high quality Russian opera, in my opinion. One I never would have bothered to look into were it not for your multiple posts related to it.

And now:
    I've said it before but I need to say it again: I am going to take a purchasing break. Tickets go on sale for Rigoletto next week and I need to have money for that. And well.....yeah I've overspent by a pretty penny on music. I spent the weekend reorganizing my two iPods, so I think that will get me motivated to delve through all of my current music, many of which is yet unplayed. That will let my wishlist build up so I can give Santa recommendations anyway :lol: