Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

Bookmark and Share
    Member Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have just ordered these two

I want to get to know Strauss a bit more. I have only seen three of his operas (a masterpieces Elektra, Rosenkavalier, that I have really liked, and Die Frau ohne Schatten, for this one I want 3 Stunden meines Lebens zurueck!, let's just say I didn't like it lol). Anyway I also wanted to buy arabella buT apperently this dvd was only for prime Kunden here in Germany, so i was a bit pissed but ok lol
    I like Strauss, it's weird, it's so simillar to belcanto, to Verdi and Puccini, but still so different. Melodies and beautiful, still chaotic, and I'm always missing a climax in Strauss operas. When i say climax I mean, something like Vissi di arte, there you have a beagining, and it's all building up to a climatic end, outburst of emotions and suffering, everything explodes in final minutes, while with Strauss it's just different. i have no idea if i'm making sense at all lol

2. Likes MAuer, Hoffmann liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just ordered to complete my 1968 Roma Ring:
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DasNino View Post
    I have just ordered these two

I want to get to know Strauss a bit more. I have only seen three of his operas (a masterpieces Elektra, Rosenkavalier, that I have really liked, and Die Frau ohne Schatten, for this one I want 3 Stunden meines Lebens zurueck!, let's just say I didn't like it lol). Anyway I also wanted to buy arabella buT apperently this dvd was only for prime Kunden here in Germany, so i was a bit pissed but ok lol
    I like Strauss, it's weird, it's so simillar to belcanto, to Verdi and Puccini, but still so different. Melodies and beautiful, still chaotic, and I'm always missing a climax in Strauss operas. When i say climax I mean, something like Vissi di arte, there you have a beagining, and it's all building up to a climatic end, outburst of emotions and suffering, everything explodes in final minutes, while with Strauss it's just different. i have no idea if i'm making sense at all lol
    Rosenkavalier does have a climactic end with the amazingly beautiful trio. I just object to some of the three whole hours leading up to it.

Natalie

5. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I keep thinking I should also explore more of Strauss' operas -- I only have audio recordings of Salome, Der Rosenkavalier, and Guntram (because of Reiner Goldberg in the title role), and the video of the original version of Ariadne auf Naxos (because of Jonas Kaufmann's Bacchus). I'm afraid Elektra might be a tough pill to swallow, even though there is a recording with Evelyn Herlitzius and Camilla Nylund as the sisters which should appeal to me. JK is supposed to make his role debut as the Kaiser in Die Frau ohne Schatten next year, so with any luck, that performance will eventually be released on DVD. Time to start looking at Presto Classical to see what's in their inventory.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    I keep thinking I should also explore more of Strauss' operas -- I only have audio recordings of Salome, Der Rosenkavalier, and Guntram (because of Reiner Goldberg in the title role), and the video of the original version of Ariadne auf Naxos (because of Jonas Kaufmann's Bacchus). I'm afraid Elektra might be a tough pill to swallow, even though there is a recording with Evelyn Herlitzius and Camilla Nylund as the sisters which should appeal to me. JK is supposed to make his role debut as the Kaiser in Die Frau ohne Schatten next year, so with any luck, that performance will eventually be released on DVD. Time to start looking at Presto Classical to see what's in their inventory.
    I'm not so keen on Elektra - too many shrieking sopranos - but Salome has epic music. The DVD with Stratas is beautiful.
    Natalie

8. Likes MAuer, Amfortas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

10. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Itullian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Picked this one up because.............
    Live audience.
    Beautiful, traditional production.
    Good singers.
    No oceans of blood.

12. Likes MAuer, Hoffmann liked this post
    Member Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    so just yesterday I was in Stuttgart, and always when I'm there I have a need to visit big Saturn store there, ofc only to see if there is something interesting, I'm not gonna buy anything... so I've thoughr...
    one hour and 22 euros later, I have ended up with this thing

I have seen only 2 hours of it and i already hate every cent I have gave for it... I just don't like it, and i'm starting to think I hate Wagner... ok I'm overreacting but I really don't like this production. I don't know if that's legal here on the forum, but if anyone is interested in trading i would gladly send him/her this bly ray for pretty much anything in return lol
    God i am so pissed off with myself... I have no caracter, I have just bought two opera blu rays I don't need another one lol

14. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    I've seen both of these; they are nice.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

16. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Itullian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    so just yesterday I was in Stuttgart, and always when I'm there I have a need to visit big Saturn store there, ofc only to see if there is something interesting, I'm not gonna buy anything... so I've thoughr...

I have seen only 2 hours of it and i already hate every cent I have gave for it... I just don't like it, and i'm starting to think I hate Wagner... ok I'm overreacting but I really don't like this production. I don't know if that's legal here on the forum, but if anyone is interested in trading i would gladly send him/her this bly ray for pretty much anything in return lol
    God i am so pissed off with myself... I have no caracter, I have just bought two opera blu rays I don't need another one lol
    eurotrash, try the Stein and Levine for what Wagner intended.
    For something different Sinopoli, which is futuristic production but very respectable to the opera.
    Also, Parsifal is a very different kind of work.
    It attempts to slow life down and demands a long attention span
    which is antithetical to the modern world.
    It's very beautiful if you can adapt to its world.

18. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I know how you feel. It took me a long time to appreciate Parsifal. Although I have enjoyed a couple of live performances over the years - one with Domingo singing Parsifal and the other the Berliner Staatsoper production by Tcherniakov (Andreas Schager sang a superb Parsifal, and Anja Kampe, Rene Pape and Wolfgang Koch were all excellent) even if the production does have a couple of weird moments.

Still, I'm not sure I would want to spend an afternoon listening to Parsifal on cd. Just not there yet...

Yes, although I consider myself a Strauss fan, I understand your comment. Strauss kind of composed in his own idiom. You might try Ariadne auf Naxos, which was composed after Der Rosenkavalier, but is more its natural successor than the strictly modern Elektra. You might also try - if you haven't already - a recording of Strauss' Vier Letzte Lieder, which have orchestra accompaniment and are really extraordinary, showing just how gifted Strauss was in composing for the female voice.

I prefer this Ariadne auf Naxos cd set (I don't really watch dvds):

Name:  ariadne2.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  21.5 KB

There are a number of 'traditional' arias in the opera: perhaps most famous is a wonderful soprano aria composed for Zerbinetta that is off the charts. Ariadne has a famous aria, as does the composer and also Bacchus.

20. Likes DasNino liked this post
    Member Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Yes, I know how you feel. It took me a long time to appreciate Parsifal. Although I have enjoyed a couple of live performances over the years - one with Domingo singing Parsifal and the other the Berliner Staatsoper production by Tcherniakov (Andreas Schager sang a superb Parsifal, and Anja Kampe, Rene Pape and Wolfgang Koch were all excellent) even if the production does have a couple of weird moments.

Still, I'm not sure I would want to spend an afternoon listening to Parsifal on cd. Just not there yet...

Yes, although I consider myself a Strauss fan, I understand your comment. Strauss kind of composed in his own idiom. You might try Ariadne auf Naxos, which was composed after Der Rosenkavalier, but is more its natural successor than the strictly modern Elektra. You might also try - if you haven't already - a recording of Strauss' Vier Letzte Lieder, which have orchestra accompaniment and are really extraordinary, showing just how gifted Strauss was in composing for the female voice.

I prefer this Ariadne auf Naxos cd set (I don't really watch dvds):

Name:  ariadne2.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  21.5 KB

There are a number of 'traditional' arias in the opera: perhaps most famous is a wonderful soprano aria composed for Zerbinetta that is off the charts. Ariadne has a famous aria, as does the composer and also Bacchus.
    I have just watched Rosenkavallier and wow, blown away just like first time. I still think he could have made it shorter, but last years MET production is perfect. I really want to explore Strauss more. I like Electra, even tho it's so chaotic. I have a recording of Ariadne and i have listened to it few times (it played in the backround as i was ironing or cleaning lol) I think it has a potential, I just have to give it more attention

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

ALINA:
    1987. Daniela Dessí is Alina. Paolo Coni is Volmar. Antonello Allemandi conducts the Orchestra Sinfonica dell'Emilia Romagna "Arturo Toscanini".

MARIA DI ROHAN:
    1988. Recorded live. Marina Nicolesco is Maria. Giuseppe Morino is Riccardo. Massimo de Bernart conducts the Orchestra Internazionale d'Italia Opera.

GIANNI DI PARIGI:
    1988. Luciana Serra is La Principessa di Navarra. Angelo Romeo is Il Gran Siniscalco. Carlo Felice Cillario conducts the Orchestra Sinfonica di Milano della RAI.

IMELDA DE' LAMBERTAZZI:
    1989. Floriana Sovilla is Imelda. Diego D'Auria is Lamberto. Mark Andreae conducts the Orchestra della Radiotelesione della Svizzera Italiana.

RITA:
    1991. Recorded live. Adelina Scarabelli is Rita. Pietro Ball is Beppe. Federico Amendola conducts the Orchestra da Camera Siciliana.

IL GIOVEDI GRASSO:
    1961. James Loomis is Il Colonnello. Maria Minetto is Camilla. Edwin Loehrer conducts the Orchestra della Radiotelevisione della Svizzera Italiana.

Post Thanks / Like

25. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, Amfortas liked this post