Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sonnambula #17 for my collection!

This should be it:
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

2. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    On order from Amazon:

I don't think of myself as a Callas fanatic. But then again, this will bring me up to 23 of her opera recordings, so . . .

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    I wanted that Ciofi Sonnambula so badly that I just kept searching every which way until I found it. It is part of this 24 disk set for $9.99 in mp3 download. You get three download choices: Java Downloader, Direct Download, and Dropbox. I used direct which is painstaking as you have to separately download each track, but it goes quickly. As it is, I already had half the content, so only had to download six operas. Based on the file sizes I got from it, it must be around 256 kbps and it is MP3 files. The other problem is the tracks are not numbered, so I had to sort each folder by download time and manually number them.

EDIT: I tell ya, this was a great find because PrestoClassical wants $252 for the download and other sites were over $100. One site was $6 but googling said it is a bad site based in Russia that just rips off the artists. Here, hopefully I have a legitimate site with CD Universe.
    Definitely a great bargain!
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

5. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another visit to the Little Shop. Like I said . . . *not* a Callas fanatic!

Post Thanks / Like
    This makes for my 18th Sonnambula CD set, second only to Fidelio at 24 sets and just beating out the Flying Dutchman at 17 sets.

"Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

8. Likes MAuer, Amfortas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Sonnambula #19 ($5 at Dearborn Music on their 20% off sale) and my 4th Sutherland Sonnambula:

Post Thanks / Like
    I am awestruck! One of my favorite operas and I just stumbled on this new release (15 June 2018 at PrestoClassical; 18 May 2018 at Amazon). I've listened to the clips and this is the most wonderful Martha I have ever heard. $20 shipped but it is a must have for me. There are clips at Prestoclassical, but itunes has much longer clips so you can really get a good preview of this recording. The Nancy (alto) on this has a most awesome voice. In fact, all the voices are wonderful. I'll be listing to these clips over and over in anticipation of this CD coming. I have half a dozen Martha recordings on my mp3 player, but none satisfied like the video I found on You Tube. Once this set arrives, I may only have one on the player. There will be no need for any others. I SURE HOPE they release this also on DVD!

12. Likes Clayton, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds exciting. I love that when the recording comes out of the one you've been waiting for but didn't know it!

14. Likes Florestan, Soave_Fanciulla, MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Visited Dearborn Music this morning. They have a 20% off sale this weekend. Got all this used for $8 each on the sale:

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love that Simon Boccanegra with Milnes.

17. Likes Florestan, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Visited Dearborn Music this morning. They have a 20% off sale this weekend. Got all this used for $8 each on the sale:

Excellent haul!
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

19. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post

Excellent haul!
    And I already sneaked a peak and see that Anna Tomowa-Sintow is way better in this than Kiri is in the Solti Boccanegra DVD.

21. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sonnambula #20

Post Thanks / Like
    Came across this in my ramblings around on Amazon and was intrigued to the point of had to buy it.

Set in revolutionary France, Il Piccolo Marat is a "rescue opera" after the manner of Fidelio, with a brutal embodiment of evil in the form of the "Ogre". Among the prisoners in his jail is Princess Fleury, whose son pretends to join the revolutionaries, the "Marats" (hence he is known as "the Little Marat") in order to gain access to her and rescue her. Along the way he falls in love with the Ogre’s unhappy niece, Mariella, and aims to rescue her too. The story pivots around the noble figure of the carpenter who, utterly disgusted at the things he has been made to do (such as inventing a device for sinking a barge-full of prisoners in the open river) now works against the revolutionaries. It he who saves Fleury by slaying the Ogre, and as the opera ends he carries him off, severely wounded, to the boat where Mariella and Fleury’s mother are waiting to flee.

Read more: http://www.musicweb-international.co...#ixzz5JaCtirwi
    Musically quite beautiful and interesting. Here is a clip of the same performance:

24. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post