Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hit my favorite record/bookstore in Berlin (I didn't have any luck convincing Luiz to join me..) and picked up a few recordings:

Name:  Die Entführung aus dem Serail.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  19.7 KB

Name:  Die tote Stadt.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  30.1 KB

Name:  King Arthur. Christie.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  88.9 KB

Name:  Orfeo ed Euridice.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  93.5 KB

and a couple of others I will post separately.

2. Likes MAuer, Clayton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    And these:

Name:  Fidelio.Rattle.jpg
Size:  24.3 KB

Simon Rattle: Angela Denoke, Alan Held, Thomas Quasthoff, Jon Villars and Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra & Arnold Schoenberg Choir

Name:  Lohengrin.Elder.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  75.3 KB

(with Klaus Florian Vogt, Camilla Nylund, Katarina Dalayman, Samuel Youn)

Name:  La Traviata. Kleiber.jpg
Size:  35.7 KB

4. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You really hit the jackpot!

6. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    You really hit the jackpot!
    I miss browsing in record stores - it used to be a form of therapy when having rough day, and it still gives me a great deal more pleasure to stand surrounded by potentially wonderful listening than the ability to buy off the internet (which is quick and easy). I once could drive over to Tower Records, located on the George Washington University campus, do some browsing/buying and then drive home past the White House. It was a favorite thing. Now Tower has gone under and it no longer is possible to drive any where near the White House.

I fear that browsing CDs at Dussmann/Berlin is on borrowed time. Each year the CD section is reduced in floor space from the year before. The opera section once had a separate room and now is co-located with all of classical music, with both CDs and DVDs sharing space. Buying there is both a labor of love and an effort to preserve something wonderful that is about to disappear.

8. Likes MAuer, Clayton liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    I hit my favorite record/bookstore in Berlin (I didn't have any luck convincing Luiz to join me..) and picked up a few recordings:
    He doesn't know what he missed!

I miss browsing in record stores - it used to be a form of therapy when having rough day, and it still gives me a great deal more pleasure to stand surrounded by potentially wonderful listening than the ability to buy off the internet (which is quick and easy). I once could drive over to Tower Records, located on the George Washington University campus, do some browsing/buying and then drive home past the White House. It was a favorite thing. Now Tower has gone under and it no longer is possible to drive any where near the White House.
    Definitely therapy.

I fear that browsing CDs at Dussmann/Berlin is on borrowed time. Each year the CD section is reduced in floor space from the year before. The opera section once had a separate room and now is co-located with all of classical music, with both CDs and DVDs sharing space. Buying there is both a labor of love and an effort to preserve something wonderful that is about to disappear.
    I've only been to Berlin once but headed to Dussmann's at the first opportunity. Sad to hear about its decline.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Sad to hear about its decline.
    That's what I've always said; we can't stop evolution.
    We went from wax to gramophones to vinyl to analog tape to CDs to digital and who knows what's next.
    These stores that try to preserve the past at all costs are doomed to failure, as technology evolves.
    Maybe it's sad, but it's also inevitable, so people might as well get used to it.
    Are we still crossing the Atlantic by sailboat, or by modern airline jets?
    In our cities, do we go places on horseback, or modern cars?
    So, I'd say that if a business tried to transport people across the Atlantic by sailboat or tried to cater to urban people trying to go places on horseback, they wouldn't be getting too many customers, and would end up going bankrupt.
    I'm perfectly fine with buying CDs, DVDs, and blu-ray discs (and increasingly, digital downloads) on Amazon rather than going to a brick-and-mortar store, which often has a much smaller selection and higher prices.
    Are the store clerks more knowledgeable? Not even. They are less and less so. These days you get some clueless sales person. Online, you get hundreds of reviews; some of them, insightful.
    21st century people shopping from 21st century businesses - that's how it is.
    So, explaining why I said to Jim that I didn't want to go to the store - let's suppose I go, and I find a CD or DVD there that might interest me. Most of the time I can't listen to samples or see a video clip, then and there at the store (unlike I'd be able to do online). Most of the time it is twice the price I'd pay online, to have it shipped "prime" to my home in under 48 hours (nowadays, becoming 24 or less), often simultaneously with an immediate digital download (not to forget, I'd have to take the purchases home, occupying luggage space).
    Sorry, my friends, but I'll stick with Amazon.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    That's what I've always said; we can't stop evolution.
    We went from wax to gramophones to vinyl to analog tape to CDs to digital and who knows what's next.
    These stores that try to preserve the past at all costs are doomed to failure, as technology evolves.
    Maybe it's sad, but it's also inevitable, so people might as well get used to it.
    Are we still crossing the Atlantic by sailboat, or by modern airline jets?
    In our cities, do we go places on horseback, or modern cars?
    So, I'd say that if a business tried to transport people across the Atlantic by sailboat or tried to cater to urban people trying to go places on horseback, they wouldn't be getting too many customers, and would end up going bankrupt.
    I'm perfectly fine with buying CDs, DVDs, and blu-ray discs (and increasingly, digital downloads) on Amazon rather than going to a brick-and-mortar store, which often has a much smaller selection and higher prices.
    Are the store clerks more knowledgeable? Not even. They are less and less so. These days you get some clueless sales person. Online, you get hundreds of reviews; some of them, insightful.
    21st century people shopping from 21st century businesses - that's how it is.
    So, explaining why I said to Jim that I didn't want to go to the store - let's suppose I go, and I find a CD or DVD there that might interest me. Most of the time I can't listen to samples or see a video clip, then and there at the store (unlike I'd be able to do online). Most of the time it is twice the price I'd pay online, to have it shipped "prime" to my home in under 48 hours (nowadays, becoming 24 or less), often simultaneously with an immediate digital download (not to forget, I'd have to take the purchases home, occupying luggage space).
    Sorry, my friends, but I'll stick with Amazon.
    It's true. The market is speaking and the future beckons. However, I nonetheless mourn that which gave me pleasure. Make no mistake, I like Amazon - it provides great service. It's not as much fun, there's nothing romantic about it, but it does what it does well.

The same argument you make, though, might apply to live theater as well. As people become more and more enamored of their increasingly clever devices, it will become easier to stay at home and not venture out into a cold or rainy night to seek the joy of live performance. So, the march of time takes its toll on many things - and not always for the better.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Amazon and EBay are awesome for music selection, but I do love to browse my brick and mortar store, especially the used racks. Still love to have physical product rather than downloads.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's true. The market is speaking and the future beckons. However, I nonetheless mourn that which gave me pleasure. Make no mistake, I like Amazon - it provides great service. It's not as much fun, there's nothing romantic about it, but it does what it does well.

The same argument you make, though, might apply to live theater as well. As people become more and more enamored of their increasingly clever devices, it will become easier to stay at home and not venture out into a cold or rainy night to seek the joy of live performance. So, the march of time takes its toll on many things - and not always for the better.
    But it's not exactly the same argument.
    The CD you get from the brick-and-mortar store is exactly the same CD you get from Amazon. So, I'd rather shop for it from the convenience of my living room. Once I've purchased it, it doesn't play any better because I got it from the store as opposed to the one I get from Amazon.
    But the aural experience you get from the live show at the opera house is superior to the one you get from the iPhone live streaming.
    And when we meet Elina Garanca face-to-face at the Met Press Department to interview her (remember?), it's more fun than just listening to her.
    So, going in person to the Met has advantages over watching the show online.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

14. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Amazon and EBay are awesome for music selection, but I do love to browse my brick and mortar store, especially the used racks. Still love to have physical product rather than downloads.
    Amazon Marketplace has plenty of used CDs, and you can order them and get the physical product delivered to your home.

16. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are the store clerks more knowledgeable? Not even. They are less and less so. These days you get some clueless sales person.
    There are still exceptions, thank goodness. The guy in Silver Platters in Seattle was extremely knowledgeable about opera. He tried (jokingly) to persuade me to change my mind about a DVD I wanted, saying another staging was better! He also carefully checked every DVD I bought to make sure I could watch it in UK. He also scrutinised my CD purchases and commented on each one. Some he reckoned were a 'good choice' some he raised an eyebrow! He was brilliant.

And Ludwig Beck's in Munich is a joy. Huge squashy sofas and top of the range headphones so you can sit in comfort and listen before you buy.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

18. Likes MAuer, Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Um . . . some audiophiles prefer the sound quality of LP recordings, so guess what old technology seems to be making a comeback?

Of course, I'm happy to have Amazon and Presto Classical with their huge inventories and the convenience of shopping online. But I do miss the old bricks-and-mortar stores, especially the ones in Germany where I could go "treasure hunting" for recordings on the small European labels that never made it across the pond.

20. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Florestan liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Amazon Marketplace has plenty of used CDs, and you can order them and get the physical product delivered to your home.
    Yes. Most of my online purchases are used and at great low prices.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Post Thanks / Like
    The thing is, it's a personality thing. I'm a very pragmatic guy, I like the here-and-now, and I embrace technological advancements. I like science fiction, I like the Internet (which is one of the reasons why I started this website), I like the sciences in general, and I'm not the kind of person who is focused on the past. Modern things are my things. This is seen for example in how I like contemporary opera (the ones authored by composers who are alive today), and how I prefer to focus on current singers who are in activity than on singers of the past.

There is nothing wrong with those who are more in tune with the past. I respect people's opinions on this, and if you guys like the bricks-and-mortar stores of a bygone era, more power to you.

I just meant that they are on their way out, so just as a matter of advice (unsolicited, and maybe perceived as annoying) I said that people should get used to the fact that those stores will be no more, and embrace the new technologies, which are the trend for how shopping happens in the 21st century.

But if you still find some old-fashioned stores with knowledgeable sales people, great; enjoy! Not my thing, though. For me, the more technological, the better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Um . . . some audiophiles prefer the sound quality of LP recordings, so guess what old technology seems to be making a comeback?
    Well, if you said "some" audiophiles I assume that you meant some of them, not all... So, it would seem that we'd be able to find audiophiles who would say the exact opposite.

Frankly, I attribute this preference for LPs more to the charm of these older technologies than to actual aural advantages. I find it hard to believe that an LP will be truly superior, from the sound engineering standpoint, to a DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 track. The full immersion and high fidelity of the latter, I doubt it can be matched by the former. Frankly, those who say LPs are superior, I just don't believe in what they are saying. I think it's nostalgia.

Those old rounder TV tubes were not as good as the analog flat ones which were not as good as the digital flat ones which were not as good as the 720p ones which were not as good as the 1081 ones which are not as good as the 4K ones. With each technological advancement, the image got sharper, more realistic, clearer, with better definition, more life-like. I believe that with sound recording and reproduction, it's the same thing, so I have a hard time believing that the latest technology is inferior to one from precisely 70 years ago (LPs were invented in 1948).