Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    There is a deluxe edition that is a book with both audio CDs and the DVD in one set. Not sure the sound is any different, but nice packaging.
    Thanks, I'll bear it in mind.

Next time I go to ROH, I'll see if they have a PAL version of the disc in their shop and if not, I might try this special edition.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Thanks, I'll bear it in mind.

Next time I go to ROH, I'll see if they have a PAL version of the disc in their shop and if not, I might try this special edition.
    Well I have both. I was overzealous and had to have the pretty book version. I forgot to mention that besides my low-grade sound system for watching videos, I also rip the DVDs with Handbrake, so they come out to maybe 2GB vs a virtual disk usually is 8GB. Not sure how or if that affects sound and image quality is no issue on my 20 inch screen. I also burn in the subtitles, it skips the menus (which is a great convenience), and I take whatever sound track is default.

Maybe an inquiry to the record company will help determine if the deluxe edition is any better in sound our image quality. I have my doubts. Maybe I can look at my deluxe set (the regular DVD is loaned out in hopes, but probably vain hopes, that a co-worker will actually watch it).
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

3. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I have both. I was overzealous and had to have the pretty book version. I forgot to mention that besides my low-grade sound system for watching videos, I also rip the DVDs with Handbrake, so they come out to maybe 2GB vs a virtual disk usually is 8GB. Not sure how or if that affects sound and image quality is no issue on my 20 inch screen. I also burn in the subtitles, it skips the menus (which is a great convenience), and I take whatever sound track is default.
    Sounds good.

I usually have the sound on my telly set to about 10 but for this DVD it needed 45-55 and the highest was 87 for the opening lines of 'Parigi, o cara'. I also had to keep the remote in my hand the whole time to dial the volume up and down as appropriate.

Maybe an inquiry to the record company will help determine if the deluxe edition is any better in sound our image quality. I have my doubts. Maybe I can look at my deluxe set (the regular DVD is loaned out in hopes, but probably vain hopes, that a co-worker will actually watch it).
    Thanks. The pretty book would be nice but no point getting the set if the DVD isn't any better.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

5. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Sounds good.

I usually have the sound on my telly set to about 10 but for this DVD it needed 45-55 and the highest was 87 for the opening lines of 'Parigi, o cara'. I also had to keep the remote in my hand the whole time to dial the volume up and down as appropriate.

Thanks. The pretty book would be nice but no point getting the set if the DVD isn't any better.

I looked it over yesterday and saw nothing about a better mastering. Probably just a repackaging job.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

7. Thanks Ann Lander (sospiro) thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    First watch (Levine set) was good enough that I have to have more, so here for a very different performance,

9. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some of the costumes are pretty strange and I'm not wild about Gambill's Tannhäuser (he sounds fine as long as he's singing in his midrange and at moderate dynamic levels), but Nylund, Meier, and Milling are wonderful.

11. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could not resist this on special at ArkivMusic and shipping in US was only $3!

Here are the three operas in this set as sold separately:

13. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could not resist this on special at ArkivMusic and shipping in US was only $3!
    Nice find!

15. Likes MAuer, Florestan liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those casts look appealing -- please let us know what you think when you've viewed these performances.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Those casts look appealing -- please let us know what you think when you've viewed these performances.
    Looks good from the preview video:

18. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post