Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Involved Member StLukesGuildOhio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of
    Congress .. But I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    StLukes' hauls always make me feel better abut my compulsive collecting habit!
    Natalie

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yay. My Presto Classic bag of goodies has arrived.

I got:

The Glyndebourne Don Giovanni DVD with Gerald Finley and Luca Pisaroni, Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, Jurowski. I look forward to this one.

L'Incoronazione di Poppea, DVD with Danielle de Niese and Philippe Jaroussky, Les Arts Florissants, William Christie. Well, I look forward to this one too.

Manon, DVD with Dessay and Villazón - Hm... I'm not looking forward to it, because it sounds like betrayal. I should stick with my Anna's version. Well, I guess if I leave it long enough on my UWP, it will be sufficient punishment, then maybe I'll watch... a bit of it... I guess. [Alma, very guilty]

Bernstein's Trouble in Tahiti DVD from the BBC, Karl Daymond, Stephanie Novacek, Paul Daniel. Well, I've never heard this opera, so some novelty will be interesting.

Diana Damrau's CD of R. Strauss Lieder, "Poesie" - Münchner Philharmoniker, Christian Thielemann. This is neat because I'll be able to ask her to sign it for me when I interview her on March 22.

Well, I just met Sir Simon Rattle's lovely wife... and didn't get any of her CDs. So, to compensate, I got five of his... I'm not sure exactly how or why it compensates for anything, or what I'm trying to compensate for (hm... maybe for the fact that I found her quite lovely in person?). OK, so, 5 CDs, two of them with the Berliner Philharmoniker, three with the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra. The CDs are: Schoenberg's Gurrelieder. Shoenberg's Chamber Symphony no. 1 + Erwartung + Variations for Orchestra Op. 31; Schoenberg's Five Orchestral Pieces Op. 16, Webern's Six Orchestral Pieces Op. 6, and Webern's Five Orchestral Pieces Op. 10, Nos. 3-5, Berg's Lulu-Suite; Brahms/Schoenberg Piano Quartet no. 1, Schoenberg's A Survival from Warsaw, and Berg's Violin Concert, conclusion. Looks like I'm in for quite a bit of Second Viennese School. Scary...

All the goodies above, shipping and posting included, for the INCREDIBLE bargain price of a grand total of $67.17

I know I did good, didn't I?

PS - Did StLukes win the lottery or something?
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); March 1st, 2013 at 12:37 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Involved Member StLukesGuildOhio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    No lottery win... yet. This haul is over the last 4 or 5 weeks at least. The Vivaldi discs were all part of a box set that was selling for something like $12 US. Most of the jazz/pop discs are $5 or $6. Only the Bach Complete Organ Works was a bit more expensive... but an absolute necessity.
    "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of
    Congress .. But I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice purchase, there! It motivates me to want to pick up some of the jazz albums you have there.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Aargh, six weeks, that would drive me bonkers. I've been checking the mail every day for about 3 weeks. NZ post have literally been sitting on the parcel since 5 Feb, they say they left a card when they "couldn"t deliver" (which involves knocking very quietly on your door and then running away as fast as they can - I've caught them doing that from the top window and have had to go in hot pursuit up the driveway) but there was no card, I know because of all the obsessive checking.
    That was very funny actually! The obsessive checking on my part usually comes after the expected time frame for the packages, especially Amazon sites, which I try to minimise purchasing from. (I have experience over the years and know what to expect from different sites and my estimates are often correct). Presto UK remains my personal favourite, and they send my (larger) packages via premium freight that literally takes three or four days from their door to mine (I think they know me as a customer quite well). Small packages from them takes up to two weeks using standard mail, which is fine. Australia Post is thankfully efficient on their part.

Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    What do you think about the 1912 Ariadne version?

How does it play - I'm fascinated by the result of concluding with a Zerbinetta final aria instead of the Bacchus-Ariadne duet. Is the Zerbinetta aria a keeper?
    From what I've heard of the 1912 Ariadne (mostly the longer Grossmächtige Prinzessin), I can't really say I'm a fan. Although I don't know the final Zerbinetta aria.

Plus, I'm one of those strange people that actually really love the prologue.

Staff Writer & Reviewer - Life-time Donor Veteran Member Jephtha's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    From what I've heard of the 1912 Ariadne (mostly the longer Grossmächtige Prinzessin), I can't really say I'm a fan. Although I don't know the final Zerbinetta aria.

Plus, I'm one of those strange people that actually really love the prologue.
    I love the Prologue! How can anyone sit through the 1912 version without a Composer, or the snide remarks and hysteria of the Prima Donna?

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jephtha View Post
    I love the Prologue! How can anyone sit through the 1912 version without a Composer, or the snide remarks and hysteria of the Prima Donna?
    I agree! Of course the prologue is very interesting!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    More R. Strauss CD sets added to collection used from Amazon

Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jephtha View Post
    Or indeed the Major-Domo. I love the Major-Domo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    Or indeed the Major-Domo. I love the Major-Domo.
    I have several standard 1916 Ariadne auf Naxos with the prologue my main interest in early 1912 version is expanded role of Zerbinetta with more singing time....this is a good thing for me (Nagano version uses Sumi Jo)

Post Thanks / Like
    A little birdie told me I needed a couple Korngold operas

Staff Writer & Reviewer - Life-time Donor Veteran Member Jephtha's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    A little birdie told me I needed a couple Korngold operas

I love that Tote Stadt recording. Leinsdorf's conducting is just matter-of-fact enough to prevent the score from sounding too over the top, and Prey's is the best version of the Harlequin aria I know. Enjoy, DA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't have many versions to choose from for Die Tote Stadt, more DVDs than CDs