Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Not only pre-ordered JK's Verdi album, but this gem as well:

Not only favorite tenor, but one of my favorite sopranos, mezzos, and basses!! Apparently, this was released in Europe back in spring, but will only become available on this side of the pond in early September.
    I am getting the blu ray version.......like to have subtitles

Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    I am getting the blu ray version.......like to have subtitles
    Och yes, subtitles are very useful when you're listening to a mass. So much text, no verbal repetitions... not to mention that every requiem has it's own unique text.

Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    Och yes, subtitles are very useful when you're listening to a mass. So much text, no verbal repetitions... not to mention that every requiem has it's own unique text.
    Wonder why I didn't see the Blu-ray the first time? NVM, I've cancelled the CD and ordered the Blu-ray. Like DA, I have a generic media player which treats DVD the same way it does CDs when I've turned the TV off and for the extra $10-15, I'd always prefer the DVD/Blu-ray to a CD.
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    I find subtitles useful, not only for myself, but also if I'm sharing a work with someone coming to it for the first time (like this Thursday night, when I'm showing Eugene Onegin to some friends). Nowadays many people are unfamiliar with the Latin mass, so subtitles can help new listeners.

Post Thanks / Like

RLD is in buy basket for 7/30/13 release Amazon USA.

Laurent Pelly famous for his fun wacky Offenbach productions (especially La Vie Parisienne) seems to have infused the Meyerbeer grand opera with the same fun factor, youtubes seem to confirm this

Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    ... (like this Thursday night, when I'm showing Eugene Onegin to some friends). ...
    What?!?! And I haven't been invited to phone in a pre-performance lecture?!?!

See if I invite you to talk at any of my future opera soirées!

And aren't you going to post a survey to let us all vote on which production of E.O. you will be showing?

And I suggest that with E.O. you serve wine and cheese puffs--preferable either Cheetos or Cheez Doodles.
    Last edited by tyroneslothrop; July 23rd, 2013 at 11:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    What?!?! And I haven't been invited to phone in a pre-performance lecture?!?!

See if I invite you to talk at any of my future opera soirées!

And aren't you going to post a survey to let us all vote on which production of E.O. you will be showing?

And I suggest that with E.O. you serve wine and cheese puffs--preferable either Cheetos or Cheez Doodles.
    Actually, one of the guests is bringing his famous jambalaya. I know: what could be more Russian?

I've got three different versions on DVD, including the Met's wonderful Robert Carsen production with Fleming and Hvorostovsky and the old Bolshoi Opera film version. But I'm showing the recent Valencia staging with Kristine Opolais and Artur Rucinski. Watching that production inspired me to extend the invitations in the first place: initially to a woman who knows the opera somewhat, then to two men who very bright and creative but aren't opera buffs at all. I realize that under the circumstances a safer, more traditional version might seem in order, but I think the stylized theatricality of this production may offer some new perspectives to the woman and help hold the interest of the men.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    But I'm showing the recent Valencia staging with Kristine Opolais and Artur Rucinski. Watching that production inspired me to extend the invitations in the first place: initially to a woman who knows the opera somewhat, then to two men who very bright and creative but aren't opera buffs at all. I realize that under the circumstances a safer, more traditional version might seem in order, but I think the stylized theatricality of this production may offer some new perspectives to the woman and help hold the interest of the men.
    Well, with that flimsy négligée that hottie, Opolais, wears, you'll need to make sure there is assigned seating in your living room!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, with that flimsy négligée that hottie, Opolais, wears, you'll need to make sure there is assigned seating in your living room!
    Nah, wrong production. She's pretty well covered in this one (though still very attractive).

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

RLD is in buy basket for 7/30/13 release Amazon USA.

Laurent Pelly famous for his fun wacky Offenbach productions (especially La Vie Parisienne) seems to have infused the Meyerbeer grand opera with the same fun factor, youtubes seem to confirm this
    Yes, and we've interviewed him already, long and detailed, one hour and five minutes. It hasn't been transcribed yet, it will take a while (it's in French which makes it slower for me). He talked at length about the Robert Le Diable production. It's coming (it may take a few weeks with back and forth for corrections).
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    I find subtitles useful, not only for myself, but also if I'm sharing a work with someone coming to it for the first time (like this Thursday night, when I'm showing Eugene Onegin to some friends). Nowadays many people are unfamiliar with the Latin mass, so subtitles can help new listeners.
    Even if it was sung in English still need subtitles to fully understand what they are saying, that is double edge sword of opera style singing:

The exaggerated vocal effects are both exciting/beautiful but also hard to understand clearly

Post Thanks / Like
    Even if it was sung in English still need subtitles to fully understand what they are saying, that is double edge sword of opera style singing:

The exaggerated vocal effects are both exciting/beautiful but also hard to understand clearly
    Maybe that is one of the things that is wrong with the world--that people don't talk to each other operatically!

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe that is one of the things that is wrong with the world--that people don't talk to each other operatically!
    As long as I don't have to kill myself because someone doesn't love me/someone is blackmailing me into bed/someone is planning to murder my no-good ex lover/someone blew a horn, I'm all good with that.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    My copy of Soldaten also arrived. I have been too busy to watch it though. Let me know what you think of this Vienna production.