Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Does size matter?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a fragment of the third one:

"J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the first act of the first one:

I disagree with my friend, this actually sounds very beautiful, see for example the aria around 16 minutes. The orchestration sounds a bit Central European meets Russian. My friend says, "no kidding, we're not really just Southern Slavs, we are a bit Central Europeans!"

Here is the second and final act:

I think I like this one. Will give it a full try, later. I wish I had a translation of the libretto.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); May 8th, 2017 at 09:38 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Involved Member jflatter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    One house that was rebuilt in 90s and has terrible sight lines, if you are in more reasonably priced seats. is the Teatro Real in Madrid. They obviously recognise it as a problem, as they have live cameras filming the stage so people in the amphitheatre can watch it while they listen to the music.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jflatter View Post
    One house that was rebuilt in 90s and has terrible sight lines, if you are in more reasonably priced seats. is the Teatro Real in Madrid. They obviously recognise it as a problem, as they have live cameras filming the stage so people in the amphitheatre can watch it while they listen to the music.

What an oversight.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh wait . . . I just realized . . . the thread title!

[Blush and giggle.]

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Oops, I meant Wilmington has only 70,000 inhabitants, and typed Delaware instead. It's still a very small state.

Wilmington, DE, has 71,948 inhabitants.

But OK, the metropolitan area has a lot more; 723,341. And then, Wilmington is considered to be also part of a larger conglomerate if one includes the whole Delaware valley which then would encompass Philadelphia and Candem, for a total of 7,183,479 inhabitants according to Wikipedia, so no wonder they can sell out a theater with 1,200 seats.

They are probably seen as a supplement to the Philadelphia opera season, given that Philadelphia is a mere 20-minute train trip from Wilmington. I hadn't realized it was so close (I usually bypass Wilmington through the external highway ring when I'm traveling north, I haven't ever been to the city except for one day when I drove through it instead of taking the faster external ring, just out of curiosity; I didn't stop, just drove by). Apparently the opera house is at walking distance from the Amtrak station so it is very easy for Philadelphia patrons to go see an opera in Wilmington. By car, due to frequent traffic jams, it's double that, but still a very manageable 41 minutes on I-95.

From me, it's a more daunting 6 hours 14 minutes drive.

By air, no direct, non-stop flights from RDU so it's not worth it. Flights have 1 or 2 stops so with all the waiting times in airports it would take a similar time for a lot more money than gas and tolls. Actually longer. Average time from RDU to Wilmington is 5 and a half hours from the start of the trip so counting getting to RDU to check in and all and getting from the airport to the opera house, it's significantly longer than by car.

There is a non-stop flight, actually, by air taxi... for the very cheap rate of $5,125. I bet it is a bit excessive to attend an opera, LOL.

I'll have to drive a lot to attend an opera there, but I'm really curious so I guess I'll do it. I'm eager to know what they'll have for 2018.

Hoffmann, for you it is much closer, so we might plan to meet there.

Too bad we missed Semiramide. You and I love Rossini so we'd have had a lot of fun.
    Next time you can fly to DC and we can drive up together!

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK this thread is really about the size of opera houses but I've decided to add this story as it's still about size.

If this article is true, a tenor has been sacked for being too short. http://operawire.com/tatar-opera-hou...-of-his-height

If they're going to only use tall tenors they'll struggle to find them as tenors tend to be of short stature.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

8. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    If they're going to only use tall tenors they'll struggle to find them as tenors tend to be of short stature.
    Now that is an interesting observation. I wonder if there is a strong correlation between height and voice type in men.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

10. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It does seem as though there are a number of short, or at least average height tenors. The only tall ones who come to mind are Siegfried Jerusalem and Christoph Strehl. What I found interesting -- and contrary to my expectations -- is that boy choristers with those angelic high soprano voices usually become baritones or basses when they mature. The boy altos, however, often become tenors after their voices change.

12. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    It does seem as though there are a number of short, or at least average height tenors. The only tall ones who come to mind are Siegfried Jerusalem and Christoph Strehl. What I found interesting -- and contrary to my expectations -- is that boy choristers with those angelic high soprano voices usually become baritones or basses when they mature. The boy altos, however, often become tenors after their voices change.
    My son had a pretty high voice. I can't say soprano, not sure, but then it turned bass.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

14. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4