Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recordings by Sena Jurinac

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Involved Member SenaJurinac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Recordings by Sena Jurinac

Hello,

Who can help me with making a list of all known recordings by the great Viennese opera diva Sena Jurinac?

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenaJurinac View Post
    Hello,

Who can help me with making a list of all known recordings by the great Viennese opera diva Sena Jurinac?
    Hi, welcome to Opera Lively. I may be able to look into some databases later but not now, I have to rush to work.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not so sure about this - Sena Jurinac's singing career was sort of pre-stereophonic LP recordings, which is not a strength of my opera collection. I might have one or two recordings with Jurinac, I will check and get back to you.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just listened to her for the first time prompted by your question (I usually avoid older recordings, and soprano is my least favourite fach). Very nice perfomance of "Dove sono" from Nozze.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for help. In the meantime I managed to find at least one filmed recording: http://klassikundopern.web.tv/video/...2__pykfddfs8ss

I know she sung at the reopening of Vienna Opera House following its destruction by bombardment in the WW II, but don't know if this recording is available anywhere

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, here you go, friend. I found a list of 38 of Sena Jurinac's recordings with pictures of covers:

Click here:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/836124-Sena-Jurinac

Now, Operadis is a very good and complete database and they actually list 85 recordings by her. The interface is less beautiful but it is very complete; you click on the blue links and you are taken to the full details about the recording, including publications in which it was reviewed. Click here to explore:

http://www.operadis-opera-discograph...k/CLSIJURI.HTM

According to the Operadis database, the performance you have mentioned for the reopening of the Vienna State Opera doesn't seem to have been recorded. It was a performance of Fidelio, conducted by Karl Böhm, in 1955, and Jurinac does not seem to have a recording of that opera in those years conducted by Böhm (she did have a couple with von Karajan).
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); November 30th, 2017 at 01:28 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another option, which I often do for a singer I am currently interested in (most recently Anneliese Rothenberger) is to plug the singer's name into searches on Amazon and on Ebay. Find quite a lot that way.
    Since that night at the Polka, I don't understand you, Sheriff.
    --Ashby, La Fanciulla del West

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's two recordings in my tea cabinet (I keep my CD's in an old tea cabinet but that's another story) that spring to mind.

Name:  Don Giovanni - Ferenc Fricsay 1958 DG.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  49.9 KB
    Mozart: Don Giovanni, K527
    Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau (Don Giovanni), Sena Jurinac (Donna Anna), Ernst Haeflinger (Don Ottavio), Maria Stader (Donna Elvira), Karl Christian Kohn (Leporello), Walter Kreppel (Il Commendatore), Ivan Sardi (Masetto), Irmgard Seefried (Zerlina)
    RIAS-Kammerchor
    Radio-Symphonie-Orchester Berlin, Ferenc Fricsay
    Recorded Jesus-Christus-Kirche, Berlin, October 1958

Name:  Der Ring des Nibelungen - Wilhelm Furtwängler.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  76.4 KB
    Wagner: Der Ring des Nibelungen
    RAI Milano Orchestra & Chorus
    Wilhelm Furtwängler
    Live broadcast 1958
    Sena Jurinac (Woglinde/Third Norn)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    OK, here you go, friend. I found a list of 38 of Sena Jurinac's recordings with pictures of covers:

Click here:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/836124-Sena-Jurinac

Now, Operadis is a very good and complete database and they actually list 85 recordings by her. The interface is less beautiful but it is very complete; you click on the blue links and you are taken to the full details about the recording, including publications in which it was reviewed. Click here to explore:

http://www.operadis-opera-discograph...k/CLSIJURI.HTM
    Wow, thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post

According to the Operadis database, the performance you have mentioned for the reopening of the Vienna State Opera doesn't seem to have been recorded. It was a performance of Fidelio, conducted by Karl Böhm, in 1955, and Jurinac does not seem to have a recording of that opera in those years conducted by Böhm (she did have a couple with von Karajan).
    it looks I made a mistake - she actually sung Elvira in Don Giovanni which was also performed for the reopening! I succeeded in finding two CDs of this reopening performance (Google: sena jurinac wiedereroffnung wiener staatsoper, Sena Jurinac Reopening Venna State Opera). There were also several other operas performed, Aida, Die Meistersinger, Wozzeck, Der Rosenkavalier, Die Frau ohne Schatten):

https://shop.wiener-staatsoper.at/cd...fest-1955.html

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/det...5/hnum/2923477

The first set of CDs was performed on the anniversary evening in 2015 at the Austrian radio (OE1):

http://oe1.orf.at/programm/20151107/409190

That channe can be listened online and has often first class performances!!!

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Opera Lively! Sena Jurinac is one of my favorite singers and I have several recordings with her. They include:

- Beethoven: Fidelio (the Knappertsbusch version in which she sings Leonore)
    - Mozart: Don Giovanni (the Fricsay mentioned in Clayton's post, where she sings Donna Anna)
    Don Giovanni (a live recording on the Opera d'Oro label with her Donna Elvira)
    - Mozart: Idomeneo (one of John Pritchard's Glyndebourne recordings; she sings Ilia here)
    Idomeneo (a live recording from the Vienna State Opera in which she sings Elettra)
    - Mozart: Le Nozze di Figaro (a live recording from Rome with her as Countess Almaviva)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenaJurinac View Post
    it looks I made a mistake - she actually sung Elvira in Don Giovanni which was also performed for the reopening! I succeeded in finding two CDs of this reopening performance (Google: sena jurinac wiedereroffnung wiener staatsoper, Sena Jurinac Reopening Venna State Opera). There were also several other operas performed, Aida, Die Meistersinger, Wozzeck, Der Rosenkavalier, Die Frau ohne Schatten):

https://shop.wiener-staatsoper.at/cd...fest-1955.html

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/det...5/hnum/2923477

The first set of CDs was performed on the anniversary evening in 2015 at the Austrian radio (OE1):

http://oe1.orf.at/programm/20151107/409190

That channel can be listened online and has often first class performances!!!
    Oh, OK, so most likely they are talking about the reopening *season* instead of the very first performance that reopened the house which apparently was Fidelio with Böhm; others must have followed.

Edit - Indeed; I clicked on your link and the first performance was Fidelio with Böhm but not with her. The second one seems to have been Don Giovanni with her as Donna Elvira.

That one is listed on Operadis, #31. See that shortly thereafter, #32, she did it again but with a different cast. The recording #31 was re-issued in 1998.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); November 30th, 2017 at 12:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Welcome to Opera Lively! Sena Jurinac is one of my favorite singers and I have several recordings with her. They include:

- Beethoven: Fidelio (the Knappertsbusch version in which she sings Leonore)
    - Mozart: Don Giovanni (the Fricsay mentioned in Clayton's post, where she sings Donna Anna)
    Don Giovanni (a live recording on the Opera d'Oro label with her Donna Elvira)
    - Mozart: Idomeneo (one of John Pritchard's Glyndebourne recordings; she sings Ilia here)
    Idomeneo (a live recording from the Vienna State Opera in which she sings Elettra)
    - Mozart: Le Nozze di Figaro (a live recording from Rome with her as Countess Almaviva)
    Sena is my fellow countrywoman, unfortunatelly quite forgotten in her homeland.

An interesting reading is her obituary from the British daily "The Guardian":

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...rinac-obituary

Here is a great documentary on her life (though, in German):

http://klassikundopern.web.tv/video/...t__lhxjkmmelwi

Member Recent member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heard a recording of Fidelio with her as Leonore from 1970 with Slovo von Matacic as conductor a year ago.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've got her on a Knappertsbusch Fidelio that I haven't listened to it in a long time. Gave it a spin, but the tempo is too slow on this one. Fortunately of my 24 Fidelio recordings (not counting Leonore recordings), I have two more with Jurinac:

Furtwangler Vienna Philharmonic Modl, Windgassen, Jurinac, Frick so Jurinac is probably Marzilene.

Klemperer 1961 Covent Garden Vickers Jurinac Hotter Frick.
    Since that night at the Polka, I don't understand you, Sheriff.
    --Ashby, La Fanciulla del West

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast