Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Site will have downtime for upgrades / XSS issue on Chrome

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Site will have downtime for upgrades / XSS issue on Chrome

I'll post this here so that more people see it, since it is the most frequented area of the site.

At some point between tomorrow Thursday 12/7 (unlikely) and Saturday or Sunday (likely) Opera Lively will be a few hours down to upgrade its software to a slightly newer/safer version of vBulletin. We are not changing to the level 5 release but merely to a newer level 4 (our current one) so there will be no changes or learning curve; it's just that the updated version is safer.

So if you try to log in and the site is down, don't worry. It will be up a few hours later. Also, I made a full back-up so if something goes wrong, there will be no loss of content except for the latest posts. In previous upgrades we lost no content whatsoever.

I don't know exactly when I'll have the time to do it (it's a bit time-consuming) but I'm hoping to get it done by this weekend.

-----------------

Another matter:

The new version of the Chrome browser has been causing an issue not only with Opera Lively but thousands of other sites, according to a specialized forum. When a member posts a message that contains a link to another Opera Lively page, Chrome interprets it as an XSS attack (a trick used by hackers). No worries. Opera Lively remains absolutely malware free (which I just confirmed by running a full scan through our Sucuri sentinel) and there is no XSS attack. Chrome misinterprets it as such, and says that the site was blocked and it would be dangerous to proceed, compromising passwords and credit card info. Again, no worries. That's not going to happen. Just refresh and proceed to the site anyway.

I found a workaround, and edited Opera Lively's config.php file with a line that prevents Chrome from issuing this alert. OK, good, apparently the alert is not coming, however this partial fix does cause other problems; the site then breaks and shows the content without formatting. Again, just refresh and/or direct your browser back to www.operalively.com (or click on the icon if you have it pinned to your taskbar or bookmarked) and the site will load normally.

This is a bug in Chrome's new version. Webmasters are hoping that Chrome will come up with a better fix than the workaround that only partially solves it. Meanwhile, be patient, and fear not; our site is safe, XSS free, and malware free.

Thanks for being a valued member/visitor.

I'll bump this from time to time, and will tell you when the upgrade is over.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); December 7th, 2017 at 01:21 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate all the work you do to keep this site up and running in good order. Thanks!
    Since that night at the Polka, I don't understand you, Sheriff.
    --Ashby, La Fanciulla del West

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to add my thanks as well.
    " if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it, and above all become passionate about it."
    Roald Dahl

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, my friends.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yay for Luiz! Now if I can only get him to help pay for all the CDs this site encourages me to buy . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't found the time yet but maybe I'll start working on it tonight. If not then tomorrow.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    I haven't found the time yet but maybe I'll start working on it tonight. If not then tomorrow.
    Thanks, Luiz! Any amount will be appreciated. Just mail me the check.

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Upgrade will start soon. Site will be down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hm... upgrade aborted at 56% by encountering an error. I cancelled it and reopened the site while I consult Technical Support. It's still working, but given that vBulletin Technical Support can be sluggish, if I restart the upgrade later today instead of a couple of hours, the site might be down for much longer including a day or two. Sorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, the site seems to be up and running but it's slower than before. Most likely the software is struggling with sets of instructions that belong to both the old version and the new version given that the upgrade script failed at 56%. Please be patient.

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, the site seems to be up and running but it's slower than before. Most likely the software is struggling with sets of instructions that belong to both the old version and the new version given that the upgrade script failed at 56%. Please be patient.
    We are on standby and will post as possible. I could not click a like though, but no problem, that should straighten out with the full upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, things are not smooth. The Like/Thank function is not working (it's an add-on; I might have to re-install it later anyway) and worse, the Edit function is not working either, and everything is definitely slower. The support ticket was filed at about 11:20 AM and so far it hasn't even been assigned yet. I think we are in for several hours/couple of days of trouble.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); December 9th, 2017 at 08:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, things are not smooth. The Like/Thank function is not working (it's an add-on; I might have to re-install it later anyway) and worse, the Edit function is not working either, and everything is definitely slower. The support ticket was filed at about 11:20 AM and so far it hasn't even been assigned yet. I think we are in for several hours/couple of days of trouble.
    No problem for us. Again, all your effort is appreciated and we realize you have other things to do besides constantly sitting there trying to fix the web site and do have to wait for support to answer. Thankfully, there is a good deal of site functionality at this time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, but it's irritating that 10 hours after the ticket was started, there's been no answer. I have two new things to post - I finished the interview with Sandrine Piau, and I'm watching on ARTE a great contemporary opera from Aix-en-Provence - but I don't want to spend a lot of time formatting the interview with the pics and all, and posting a review, and then if there is no fix and we need to go back to the backed-up version, I'll lose everything and will need to redo.

In the past, vBulletin used to answer a lot faster. I guess they grew their customer base but not their support staff.

The edit function, though, is working after all. It was probably a temporary glitch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast