Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous YouTube videos

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    OPERA SHOW - a new Opera YouTube channel championing opera and the UK opera scene.

" … if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it, and above all become passionate about it."
    Roald Dahl

2. Thanks halochef thanked for this post
    Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla, halochef liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic! (And now I'm going to spend even more time watching YouTube videos.)

4. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

While listening to some YouTube clips of Allan Clayton yesterday, I came upon this rendition of Handel's "Where e're you walk" sung by the wonderful Welsh tenor Richard Lewis and was just bowled over. I searched for a complete recording of Semele with him, but it doesn't seem as though one exists. Too bad, because this is just gorgeous.

6. Thanks halochef thanked for this post
    Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), halochef liked this post
    Junior Member Recent member
    Post Thanks / Like
    can i play please?

8. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Junior Member Recent member
    Post Thanks / Like

Haydn: Orlando Paladino, Aria, Alcina

this is how much of a freshman i am about Opera. did not know Haydn composed operas. are his operas different? i will watch all this one on the 'tube.

10. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by halochef View Post
    this is how much of a freshman i am about Opera. did not know Haydn composed operas. are his operas different? i will watch all this one on the 'tube.
    I'd say, the reason why few know about Haydn's operas is that he wasn't very good at composing operas. The only one I know from him is quite forgettable. Being a great composer doesn't equal being a great *opera* composer. Beethoven would agree. Even though his Fidelio is actually quite good, he didn't think so (which is why he kept revising it, and never tried again to compose a second opera).
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

12. Thanks halochef thanked for this post
    Likes halochef liked this post
    Member Recent member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don' know how to post this extract but, if you havent watched the Callas/ Gobbi Tosca ROH circa 1964, it is breathtaking- literally in Gobbi's case as he gasps his last very tunefully!! 2 twentieth century greats! its Act 2 of course and Scarpia bears an uncanny likeness to Onassis! No wonder she sticks the knife in with relish!!!!

14. Likes Florestan, MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Da55id View Post
    I don' know how to post this extract but, if you havent watched the Callas/ Gobbi Tosca ROH circa 1964, it is breathtaking- literally in Gobbi's case as he gasps his last very tunefully!! 2 twentieth century greats! its Act 2 of course and Scarpia bears an uncanny likeness to Onassis! No wonder she sticks the knife in with relish!!!!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

16. Thanks Da55id thanked for this post
    Likes Florestan liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Recognition scene from Simon Boccanegra.

" … if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it, and above all become passionate about it."
    Roald Dahl

18. Likes MAuer, Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Francisco Araiza established an international reputation singing roles by Mozart, Rossini, and Donizetti, but later in his career, began moving into some of the lyric-dramatic repertoire -- he recorded Max in Der Freischütz and Hagenbach in La Wally. He sings Florestan’s aria in concert here, and his performance makes one wish he’d had the opportunity to record this role as well. (He did appear in some staged productions of Fidelio.) He's up to the technical challenges and sings with a great deal of feeling.

20. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    I'd say, the reason why few know about Haydn's operas is that he wasn't very good at composing operas. The only one I know from him is quite forgettable. Being a great composer doesn't equal being a great *opera* composer. Beethoven would agree. Even though his Fidelio is actually quite good, he didn't think so (which is why he kept revising it, and never tried again to compose a second opera).
    Actually Haydn operas are growing on me. They are certainly a lot of fun!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post

Francisco Araiza established an international reputation singing roles by Mozart, Rossini, and Donizetti, but later in his career, began moving into some of the lyric-dramatic repertoire -- he recorded Max in Der Freischütz and Hagenbach in La Wally. He sings Florestan’s aria in concert here, and his performance makes one wish he’d had the opportunity to record this role as well. (He did appear in some staged productions of Fidelio.) He's up to the technical challenges and sings with a great deal of feeling.
    Saw him a bit in the 80s, really liked him
    Natalie

Member Recent member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Thanks for posting this! I'm blubbing like a baby! Zefferelli, Callas, Gobbi, Puccini, its all here!! Has there been a thread about operatic moments that move us to tears? Anyway, Puccini's big moments always set me off. I'm very shallow!!!!

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Da55id View Post
    Thanks for posting this! I'm blubbing like a baby! Zefferelli, Callas, Gobbi, Puccini, its all here!! Has there been a thread about operatic moments that move us to tears? Anyway, Puccini's big moments always set me off. I'm very shallow!!!!

Just wait until you are sitting and watching Wotan's Farewell (Die Walküre, Act III). It has to be one of the most powerful scenes in all theater. The first time I saw the opera, and with surtitles - so we knew what Wotan was singing, I had tears rolling down my face that wouldn't stop. Puccini? A few sniffles (well, except for La Boheme...). Wagner is the real thing.

24. Thanks Florestan, Da55id thanked for this post
    Likes Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Actually Haydn operas are growing on me. They are certainly a lot of fun!
    I hear you; your good taste and great knowledge regarding the Baroque and Classical periods are credentials that give weight to your opinion. So, I'm ready to experiment. What do you recommend?

Member Recent member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Just wait until you are sitting and watching Wotan's Farewell (Die Walküre, Act III). It has to be one of the most powerful scenes in all theater. The first time I saw the opera, and with surtitles - so we knew what Wotan was singing, I had tears rolling down my face that wouldn't stop. Puccini? A few sniffles (well, except for La Boheme...). Wagner is the real thing.
    Sorry, i'm just not a Wagnerian!! I did say im very shallow!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast