Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous YouTube videos

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Da55id View Post
    Sorry, i'm just not a Wagnerian!! I did say im very shallow!!!

I understand. One of these days. There's always hope!

2. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Da55id liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Sometimes it takes a while. I stuck my toes in the waters of Wagner safely with the more conventional Flying Dutchman, but ended up fully immersed, but for Tannhauser, which I have in my pile of yet-to-be-watched DVDs, and the lesser-known early operas.
    "Music is enought for a whole lifetime--but a lifetime is not enough for music." --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

4. Thanks Da55id thanked for this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just wait until you are sitting and watching Wotan's Farewell (Die Walküre, Act III). It has to be one of the most powerful scenes in all theater. The first time I saw the opera, and with surtitles - so we knew what Wotan was singing, I had tears rolling down my face that wouldn't stop. Puccini? A few sniffles (well, except for La Boheme...). Wagner is the real thing.
    Sorry, i'm just not a Wagnerian!! I did say im very shallow!!!
    I'm with you there Da55id. I'm sure the music is sublime but the stories have never appealed to me. Same reason I can't get into Tolkien or Harry Potter books I suppose.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Member Recent member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have 2 friends who are fervent Wagnerians! i took one to Verona to see Madam Butterfly! She hasnt invited me to Bayreuth yet!!!

7. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Member Recent member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    I'm with you there Da55id. I'm sure the music is sublime but the stories have never appealed to me. Same reason I can't get into Tolkien or Harry Potter books I suppose.
    Interesting! I'm not a Tolkien fan either!! Never linked that to my failure to appreciate Wagner!! Until now!!

9. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Member Recent member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tosca Act 2. Can anybody recommend any other great Scarpia/ Tosca combinations? An extract would be nice!!

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tosca Act 2. Can anybody recommend any other great Scarpia/ Tosca combinations? An extract would be nice!!
    I'm hopelessly biased but I really do love this DVD. I can't find an extract from Act 2 but I saw it live and Terfel and Gheorghiu were superb.

Te Deum on YouTube.

"Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

12. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Member Recent member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm hopelessly biased but I really do love this DVD. I can't find an extract from Act 2 but I saw it live and Terfel and Gheorghiu were superb.

Te Deum on YouTube.

Wow! Great cast! Terfel in great voice in the extract, But hmmmm I wont say any more, Just thanks for the recommendation.

14. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This was another instance of looking for one singer on YouTube and coming across something quite different and unexpected. Gwyneth Jones and Jon Vickers are about the last people I would have thought to hear in the leads of L’Incoronazione di Poppea – their voices seemed much too big. But here they are. And while I’ve never much cared for the voices of either one, I really like them here. When Vickers scales back his massive tenor, I actually find it quite attractive.

16. Thanks halochef thanked for this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

18. Likes Da55id liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry!!

20. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Member Recent member
    Post Thanks / Like

22. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I find the plot in the four Ring operas to be very interesting, even suspenseful (I remember feeling this way when I watched the cycle for the first time). A lot of it is metaphorical so I relate to it not just regarding the plot as stated, but also as it touching on broader issues about the human condition and its arc, involving a number of elements such as greed, hunger for power, father-daughter love, spousal love, faithfulness, trust, purity, heroism, gods vs. mortals, nature and the Mother Earth, etc., etc. It is extremely rich and complex, especially if one correlates the various emotions and actions to the various leitmotifs.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

24. Thanks Da55id thanked for this post
    Likes Florestan, Hoffmann liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone ever heard of this lady?
    "Music is enought for a whole lifetime--but a lifetime is not enough for music." --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This clip from the production of Ariadne auf Naxos at the 2001 Salzburg Festival captures the tenor Jon Villars at a time when his international career was really taking off and documents the quality of his singing. I first heard him more than a decade ago in a radio broadcast of Turandot, in which he was singing Calaf, and was very impressed with his attractive voice. A winner of the Metropolitan Opera’s National Council auditions in 1995, he had a tremendously promising career started around the turn of the 20th century, with appearances in leading roles at the Opéra de Paris, Dresden State Opera, Bavarian State Opera, La Scala, Chicago Lyric Opera, and the Met, as well as the Salzburg Festival and Salzburg Easter Festival. He usually sang roles in the lyric-dramatic/spinto Fach (though he included Puccini’s Rodolfo and Massenet’s Werther in his repertoire), made some recordings (such as the Dresden Ariadne auf Naxos I’ve been listening to) – and then lost it all in a fit of temper. In 2009, he was supposed to sing Florestan with the Canadian Opera Company in Toronto, and had a memorable (for all the wrong reasons) clash with the conductor at a public dress rehearsal. Specifically, he flipped the Maestro “the finger” and stormed offstage. Needless to say, he was replaced, and if he’s sung anywhere since, I’m not aware of it. News reports of the incident quoted other cast members (not named), who mentioned the ongoing tension between conductor and tenor that had existed during previous rehearsals. This was probably the tip of the iceberg; it's anyone's guess what else might have been going on in Villars' life at the time that made him decide to end his performing career. (I can't imagine that this single incident would have been serious enough for other houses to cancel their contracts with him.) Now one can only wonder what might have been.

27. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast