Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Miscellaneous YouTube videos

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    First in a six part series on the history of opera. I found it very interesting and look forward to seeing the rest.

"Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

2. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Simon Keenlyside takes you for a walk around his farm and sings some lovely songs while he walks.

"Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

4. Thanks Florestan thanked for this post
    Likes Florestan, MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is awesome:
    "Music is enought for a whole lifetime--but a lifetime is not enough for music." --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

6. Likes MAuer, Nemorino liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Had COVID-19 not scuttled everything and the performance on 17 March been shown in cinemas, I suspect there may have been a DVD release of this production. Which may have been a good thing -- or not. I watched a YouTube clip of Lise Davidsen singing "Komm, Hoffnung," from Kratzer's staging, and can't say I was impressed. By Kratzer's staging, not Davidsen! Okay, I can understand Leonore locking herself in a room and removing her shirt and bindings; I guess it emphasizes that she is stepping out of her Fidelio guise and is her true self here. But then Marzelline shows up -- the room evidently had another entrance -- and she'd have to be an absolute idiot not to realize at this point that "Fidelio" is a woman. (And what's up with that shiner on her left eye that Marzelline appears to be showing?) So Leonore's cover has been blown before she even sets foot in Florestan's dungeon. And it makes Marzelline's astonishment in the final scene ("O weh mir, was vernimmt mein Ohr?") nonsensical.

Why can't directors just trust the composer and librettist for a change?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Had COVID-19 not scuttled everything and the performance on 17 March been shown in cinemas, I suspect there may have been a DVD release of this production. Which may have been a good thing -- or not. I watched a YouTube clip of Lise Davidsen singing "Komm, Hoffnung," from Kratzer's staging, and can't say I was impressed. By Kratzer's staging, not Davidsen! Okay, I can understand Leonore locking herself in a room and removing her shirt and bindings; I guess it emphasizes that she is stepping out of her Fidelio guise and is her true self here. But then Marzelline shows up -- the room evidently had another entrance -- and she'd have to be an absolute idiot not to realize at this point that "Fidelio" is a woman. (And what's up with that shiner on her left eye that Marzelline appears to be showing?) So Leonore's cover has been blown before she even sets foot in Florestan's dungeon. And it makes Marzelline's astonishment in the final scene ("O weh mir, was vernimmt mein Ohr?") nonsensical.

Why can't directors just trust the composer and librettist for a change?
    I am afraid I did not watch the whole video that I posted but listened while working (so not always 100% on the spoken part either), with a few peeks here and there. Was some of this revealed in the video or do you have another source? What I got out of the video was some very awesome highlights of the opera Fidelio, more than anything about this particular production, and I like the idea of showing Leonore dressed as an aristocratic lady in the beginning, presumably during the overture.
    "Music is enought for a whole lifetime--but a lifetime is not enough for music." --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the clip I watched. Yup, Marzelline's figured it out, all right, and while Leonore is addressing her absent husband ("O du, für den ich alles trug"), she's watching Marzelline and trying to figure out how she's going to get her shirt and bindings back from the girl. From the point where Marzelline enters, Leonore's actions are out of synch with what she's actually singing.

I do like the video with Sir Tony and the cast members discussing the opera. That's interesting and informative.

10. Thanks Florestan thanked for this post
    Likes Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post

Here's the clip I watched. Yup, Marzelline's figured it out, all right, and while Leonore is addressing her absent husband ("O du, für den ich alles trug"), she's watching Marzelline and trying to figure out how she's going to get her shirt and bindings back from the girl. From the point where Marzelline enters, Leonore's actions are out of synch with what she's actually singing.

I do like the video with Sir Tony and the cast members discussing the opera. That's interesting and informative.
    That video clip is very strange and really ruins the show. One can assume there are other absurdities in the rest of the performance. Still, it might be worth a watch, but even if it went out on DVD, I won't be lining up to pre order.

12. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you're curious, I posted the video of the complete performance on the thread "Complete Operas on YouTube."

I watched parts of this, and the musical performance is really the only good thing about it. If there had been a video release with JK's Florestan, I suppose I would have caved in and purchased it. If I can put up with Guth's Salzburg production for the sake of the excellent musical performance, I could probably put up with Kratzer's.

14. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Found this clip of Michael Spyres singing Florestan's aria during a concert. He's quite impressive, and I hope he has a chance to record the role at some point.

16. Likes Florestan liked this post
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7