Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: Film

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    Excellent films! "The Death of Stalin" is terrific. Trailer cues: Polonaise from "Eugene Onegin" (my favorite), and the choral piece is the Soviet National Anthem. Also, the score of the film emulates Shostakovich and Prokofiev really well. I mean, I could tell it wasn't them, but it was close enough that it made me smile.

Note about the accents for anybody watching the trailer who thinks it's weird the combination of American and British actors all using their native accents. The director had 3 justifications for this: 1. He didn't want to mess with the actors' natural comic timing. 2. Russians and Russian immigrants *hate* it when we try to do the "Russian accent" in movies (rightly so), and 3. The politicians in Moscow depicted in the movie are all from so many different far-flung Russian states that they all had accents to each other, it wasn't all one dialect of Russian.
    I had no idea that the choral piece was the soviet national anthem! The fact that it was used with the Polonaise though does seem to indicate that as far as Russian opera goes Eugene Onegin is possibly the most famous. The Polonaise is also one of my favourite pieces in any opera as well. Again I want to reiterate just how much I enjoyed the Death of Stalin probably the best film I have seen this year.
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    I had no idea that the choral piece was the soviet national anthem! The fact that it was used with the Polonaise though does seem to indicate that as far as Russian opera goes Eugene Onegin is possibly the most famous. The Polonaise is also one of my favourite pieces in any opera as well. Again I want to reiterate just how much I enjoyed the Death of Stalin probably the best film I have seen this year.
    I am definitely going to see this!
    Natalie

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    Recently I have been on trips to the cinema to see two films both of which I thought were brilliant. The first was Blade Runner 2049 as a fan of the original bladerunner (the final cut though) I found it to be a more than worthy sequel. The other film was one that a friend encouraged me to see with him which was The Death of Stalin. This was an incredibly humorous film only matched by how very very dark it was . Interestingly the trailer contains several examples of opera one of which I was able to recognize immediately as it is immensely popular and well known (I think?) the other though I am at a loss for though my guess is one of the Five? I have linked the trailer if anyone wants to have a gander (a warning though quite a bit of the language is rather coarse!)

Both are definitely recommended though with Blade Runner 2049 a viewing of the original will add significantly to the experience and with Death of Stalin I must reiterate it is a wonderful but very dark film.
    "Death of Stalin" sounds interesting, though it might be a while. These types of films don't always make it to DC (even though in this case there would seem to be more Russia admirers around than in the past )... Anyway, "Death of Stalin" isn't even showing on Amazon at this point, so am not sure when or how it might show up.

Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    "Death of Stalin" sounds interesting, though it might be a while. These types of films don't always make it to DC (even though in this case there would seem to be more Russia admirers around than in the past )... Anyway, "Death of Stalin" isn't even showing on Amazon at this point, so am not sure when or how it might show up.
    It's a UK production so it came out in Povero's backyard first. (I saw it at a film festival.) Just checked and it comes out March 19 on our side of the pond, but it should be a fairly major release.

Junior Member Newcomer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did anyone see "Darkest Hour" yet? I thought it was fantastic. I can't believe that was Gary Oldman. He did an amazing job in that role.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    "The Death of Stalin" is terrific. Trailer cues: Polonaise from "Eugene Onegin" (my favorite), and the choral piece is the Soviet National Anthem. Also, the score of the film emulates Shostakovich and Prokofiev really well. I mean, I could tell it wasn't them, but it was close enough that it made me smile.

Note about the accents for anybody watching the trailer who thinks it's weird the combination of American and British actors all using their native accents. The director had 3 justifications for this: 1. He didn't want to mess with the actors' natural comic timing. 2. Russians and Russian immigrants *hate* it when we try to do the "Russian accent" in movies (rightly so), and 3. The politicians in Moscow depicted in the movie are all from so many different far-flung Russian states that they all had accents to each other, it wasn't all one dialect of Russian.
    Death of Stalin finally made it to New Zealand and it was BRILLIANT, in equal parts deeply absurdly hilarious and chillingly viscerally horrifying. It was R16 which put the scuppers on my plans to take the 15 year old to it (they asked for ID) and I can't really work out why, as they get worse stuff in history class and most of the violence was off screen or implied (might have had to do with the appearance of the C-word?)

I had forgotten all about our discussion about the music, and I was sitting at the end going: "It sounds a lot like Shostakovitch....nah it sounds like Prokofiev... but I don't know it..."

There is an interesting interview with the composer who did all the soviet pastiche film music.
    Natalie

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There must be quite a few people waiting to see this. I typed "The death" in Amazon and "the death of Stalin" comes up. Though of course it's not offered yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Death of Stalin finally made it to New Zealand and it was BRILLIANT, in equal parts deeply absurdly hilarious and chillingly viscerally horrifying. It was R16 which put the scuppers on my plans to take the 15 year old to it (they asked for ID) and I can't really work out why, as they get worse stuff in history class and most of the violence was off screen or implied (might have had to do with the appearance of the C-word?)

I had forgotten all about our discussion about the music, and I was sitting at the end going: "It sounds a lot like Shostakovitch....nah it sounds like Prokofiev... but I don't know it..."

There is an interesting interview with the composer who did all the soviet pastiche film music.
    I just checked and found this has been playing here in the Washington, DC area for the past couple of weeks. I will plan on seeing it next week!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, is "The Death of Stalin" dark, or what? Brilliant, indeed.

I was stunned by the antics of the film's Soviet central committee that was in direct counterpoint to the mayhem that Stalin had leveraged against his population but, at the same time, found myself laughing out loud (however, was the only one of about 1/2 dozen in the theater that found it humorous).

I think it needs another viewing to better understand what happened - the film moves very quickly.

10. Likes Nemorino, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Wow, is "The Death of Stalin" dark, or what? Brilliant, indeed.

I was stunned by the antics of the film's Soviet central committee that was in direct counterpoint to the mayhem that Stalin had leveraged against his population but, at the same time, found myself laughing out loud (however, was the only one of about 1/2 dozen in the theater that found it humorous).

I think it needs another viewing to better understand what happened - the film moves very quickly.
    I couldn't stop laughing at the sheer terrifying absurdity of the political shenanigans and the brilliant dialogue and scene-setting, but at the same time i definitely acknowledge the horrors in the background of nearly every scene. (I'm still haunted by the scene where Beria is having an animated conversation with his sidekick at the NKVD headquarters and in the background you see a body rolling down the stairs and nobody bats an eyelid - business as usual)
    Natalie

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12