Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Film

Bookmark and Share
    Schigolch
    In 1948 the great American filmmaker Robert J. Flaherty shot a movie that was not a documentary, but was shot with the usual techniques of a documentary: Louisiana Story, with a script written by his wife, Frances.

Virgil Thomson's soundtrack won the Pulitzer Prize for Music in 1949:

And, of course, Thomson also wrote several operas. We can hear The Mother of Us All, complete in youtube:

Last edited by Schigolch; September 14th, 2012 at 08:58 AM.

Schigolch
    The Toll of the Sea (1922), one of the first color movies ever filmed, and a variation of the Butterfly story set in China:

Senior Member Involved Member Bardamu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Being an Opera-centric forum my film suggestion somewhat related to the genre are:
    M. Butterfly by Cronenberg,
    2046 by Wong Kar-wai (in some way this film was what get me to try Norma, my first full Opera)
    Farewell my Concubine by Chen Kaige.
    The Innocents by Jack Clayton.

My favorite movies are , in sparse order:

La Strada, 8 1/2, Giulietta degli Spiriti (Fellini)
    The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries (Bergman)
    Solaris, Stalker, Nostalghia (Tarkovskj)
    Giù la testa, C'era una volta in America (Leone)
    Nuovo Cinema Paradiso (Tornatore)
    Faust (Soukorov)
    Il Demonio (Rondi)
    Cani Arrabbiati (Bava)
    La Grande Guerra, Il Marchese del Grillo, Amici Miei (Monicelli)
    Leon (Besson)
    Irma le douce, The Apartment (Wilder)

Schigolch
    We have been talking about Dialogues des Carmélites lately, and of course there is also a movie on the subject. It was filmed in 1960, based on Gertrud von Le Fort's novella. The original idea was to use a script from Georges Bernanos, but ultimately the real work (though Bernanos was still in the credits) was done by the directors Philippe Agostini and Raymond Leopold Bruckberger.

The final result was much closer to the rather feeble novella than to anything related to Bernanos's. Pascale Audret was Blanche and Jeanne Moreau, mère Marie de l'Incarnation:

There was also a TV series in France based on the tragedy of the Carmélites. Both TV series and movie are much weaker than Bernanos's play and Poulenc's opera.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardamu View Post
    Being an Opera-centric forum my film suggestion somewhat related to the genre are:
    M. Butterfly by Cronenberg,
    2046 by Wong Kar-wai (in some way this film was what get me to try Norma, my first full Opera)
    Farewell my Concubine by Chen Kaige.
    The Innocents by Jack Clayton.

My favorite movies are , in sparse order:

La Strada, 8 1/2, Giulietta degli Spiriti (Fellini)
    The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries (Bergman)
    Solaris, Stalker, Nostalghia (Tarkovskj)
    Giù la testa, C'era una volta in America (Leone)
    Nuovo Cinema Paradiso (Tornatore)
    Faust (Soukorov)
    Il Demonio (Rondi)
    Cani Arrabbiati (Bava)
    La Grande Guerra, Il Marchese del Grillo, Amici Miei (Monicelli)
    Leon (Besson)
    Irma le douce, The Apartment (Wilder)
    Interesting list, I love many of the above. Wong Kar-Wai is one of my favorite directors and I own some of his movies and watch them over and over (especially In the Mood for Love and Chungking Express, two phenomenal masterpieces). However I've only seen 2046 once, and I don't remember what the reference to Norma is - would you please remind me?
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Involved Member Bardamu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Interesting list, I love many of the above. Wong Kar-Wai is one of my favorite directors and I own some of his movies and watch them over and over (especially In the Mood for Love and Chungking Express, two phenomenal masterpieces). However I've only seen 2046 once, and I don't remember what the reference to Norma is - would you please remind me?
    Well, of the four cited, 2046 has the less to do with Opera though it uses Casta Diva to great effect:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq0HCQheT6U

Oh if you haven't yet, watch the short The hand in the film Eros.
    It's the best of the three.

Senior Member Involved Member Herkku's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fellini's E la nave va presents a delightful view of opera. For some reason it has not earned the same following as his most famous films, but it's worth seeing.

In the video clip our beloved opera singers, who have gathered onboard an ocean liner to scatter the ashes of a famous diva onto the waves, are entertaining the working classes in the engine room. A singing contest ensues.

The comments in Russian are extra...

Senior Member Involved Member Herkku's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Other than movies having anything to do with opera or music I would like to mention two that have a special place in my heart.

The Station Agent

Stupeur et tremblements (Fear and Trembling)

Both tell about "little" people trying to cope with their environment or life in general. I'm not sure how much they tell about me. A lot, I guess.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blue Velvet is my favorite Lynch too. I'm doing now a little article on David Lynch and Alan Splet's sound design, so I'm rewatching all of them.
    I like especially Wild at Heart, The Elephant Man, Lost Highway and Mulholland Dr. Oh, and Twin Peaks.

Schigolch
    The first chapters of Twin Peaks were fascinating. Regrettably, it started to fade very quickly after that. The soundtrack of the series was also by Badalamenti:

Senior Member Involved Member jflatter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would just like to mention that I took my eldest son to see the Imax reissue of Raiders of the Lost Ark last weekend. A film I am sure many of us have seen many times. I must say that I really enjoyed it. The film was given a HD clean up and some of the mistakes were corrected. The film felt fresh and John Williams brilliant score shines through. Harrison Ford also looks even younger!

If like me it was a film of your childhood I would recommend.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    After a long time, returned today to the fair lady.

Schigolch
    L’amour à mort is a film directed by Alain Resnais in 1984. Arguably his best movie (I, at least, prefer this one to others like ‘Hiroshima, mon amour’ or 'L'Année dernière à Marienbad'), it deals with a married couple and the death of the husband just a few months after the wedding, but then is resurrected. They need to cope with this fact, with the support of a couple of friends, Protestant ministers and also married.

Hans Werner Henze wrote a splendid soundtrack:

Senior Member Involved Member Tardis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some documentaries I enjoyed and would recommend:
    Hoop Dreams
    Food, Inc.
    Last Train Home
    The Art of the Steal

Schigolch
    Margaret Edson's first play, written at the mature age of 44, was Wit, about a John Donne scholar who is dying of ovarian cancer. The piece won the 1999 Pulitzer Prize for Drama, and was adapted to the screen by Mike Nichols, with Emma Thompson as the protagonist, Vivian Bearing. Nichols and Thompson are jointly credited for the script.

Italian composer Marco Tutino wrote also an opera based on the film, rather than the play, under the title of Vita.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast