Page 42 of 90 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 LastLast
Results 616 to 630 of 1340

Thread: New and upcoming CDs, DVDs, and blu-rays

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #616
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,951
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    Seriously? In 2013? When are they going to release the 78?
    Kids dig vinyl.

  2. #617
    Senior Member Involved Member Nervous Gentleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post


    These two are in my buy basket for 6/25/13 release date, this should complete my Tutto Verdi purchases
    There is a really negative review of this production of "Aida" over at Amazon.com. I read it only yesterday. I recommend checking it out before you part with your hard-earned dollars.

  3. #618
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,299
    Post Thanks / Like

  4. #619
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nervous Gentleman View Post
    There is a really negative review of this production of "Aida" over at Amazon.com. I read it only yesterday. I recommend checking it out before you part with your hard-earned dollars.
    I saw that but I am still a buyer, the reviewer strikes me as hyper critical and prone to exaggeration. If you read his many other opera reviews he is very critical of other Tutto Verdi operas and some of his wildly enthusiastic 5 star review operas I didn't really care for too much.......there are youtubes videos for buyers to do thier own research

    One example he raves about the 1987 Bruson/Zampieri Macbeth DVD, a dull production that I later sold (almost unthinkable since I love Macbeth so much). then the final insult he claims Zampieri vocally is better Lady Macbeth than Callas, blasphemous


  5. #620
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,890
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    One example he raves about the 1987 Bruson/Zampieri Macbeth DVD, a dull production that I later sold (almost unthinkable since I love Macbeth so much). then the final insult he claims Zampieri vocally is better Lady Macbeth than Callas, blasphemous

    How to REALLY get DA's goat, suggest anyone is better than the Divine Maria.

    But seriously, I find it hard to think of Zampieri being vocally superior to anyone much.
    Natalie

  6. #621
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,007
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    I saw that but I am still a buyer, the reviewer strikes me as hyper critical and prone to exaggeration. If you read his many other opera reviews he is very critical of other Tutto Verdi operas and some of his wildly enthusiastic 5 star review operas I didn't really care for too much.......there are youtubes videos for buyers to do thier own research

    One example he raves about the 1987 Bruson/Zampieri Macbeth DVD, a dull production that I later sold (almost unthinkable since I love Macbeth so much). then the final insult he claims Zampieri vocally is better Lady Macbeth than Callas, blasphemous

    Oh well, Amazon reviewers... just slightly better than YouTube reviewers. With a few exceptions, unreliable for the most part, and sometimes with rather ridiculous statements and gross mistakes. So, yes, you're right about not giving too much credit to an Amazon reviewer. If you saw tidbits on YouTube and liked the production, you're probably safe.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  7. #622
    Senior Member Involved Member Nervous Gentleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I find it hard to think of Zampieri being vocally superior to anyone much.
    I really don't understand the antagonism towards Zampieri expressed by many. Granted, I've only ever heard and seen her in the 1990 Bregenz production of "La Wally" [note to self: still need to finish the English subs] but I thought her performance incredibly powerful. Just listen to her rendition in that video of Catalani's famous aria; it's about as effective a rendition as one could hope for.

    As for the divine Callas, while I am as full of admiration for her artistry as anyone else, I must admit (at the risk of immediate excommunication from these pages) that I am sometimes taken with the mischievous fancy that her voice slightly resembles a cross between Clara Cluck and Droopy.

  8. #623
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,890
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I've got to fess up too, I've only heard her in the DVD of La Fanciulla del West. A gallant and well-acted performance, but really I found her voice so ugly and strident I never want to hear her again.
    Natalie

  9. #624
    Schigolch
    Guest
    The first time I listened to Ms. Zampieri live was in the late 1980s, and she was singing Verdi's Attila. The role of Odabella, not that of Attila himself.

    I was impressed first by the voice, such a strident sound... such a metallic timbre... She also cavalierly ignored legato, and any reasonable rendition of Verdian's melodic line. With time, she was enlisted by a group of Spanish fans in what we call the Sisterhood of Quantum Singing. For her, (and for a few others), the notes are not really written in the stave, but are rather immersed in a kind of probability cloud, with the logical results.

    On the positive side, she had a commanding stage presence, she gave everything she had during a performance, and also displayed a strong artistic character. But the problem with her voice and her singing, was really too much to overcome.

  10. #625
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Schigolch View Post
    The first time I listened to Ms. Zampieri live was in the late 1980s, and she was singing Verdi's Attila. The role of Odabella, not that of Attila himself.
    Well done sir

  11. #626
    Staff Writer & Reviewer - Life-time Donor Veteran Member Jephtha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think of myself as 'antagonistic' toward Miss Zampieri. If fact, the first review I ever read of her singing(in the Sinopoli Macbeth; the critic tore her to shreds)made me intensely curious about her. Unfortunately, in that and in every other performance of hers I have heard, her actual vocal production makes me quite nervous. It sounds as if her whole body is very tight and coiled, and as if the tone is being squeezed out through great effort. I appreciate her dramatic sense, and I must add I have never had the good fortune to hear her live, but I can't get around her odd technique. Of course, I love Cristina Deutekom's gargling-yodeling approach to coloratura, which is about as odd a technique as there is, so I guess that is no excuse. Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds!
    How far that little candle throws his beams!
    So shines a good deed in a naughty world.


    The Merchant of Venice, V, i.

  12. #627
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,007
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nervous Gentleman View Post
    As for the divine Callas, while I am as full of admiration for her artistry as anyone else, I must admit (at the risk of immediate excommunication from these pages) that I am sometimes taken with the mischievous fancy that her voice slightly resembles a cross between Clara Cluck and Droopy.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  13. #628
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,299
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nervous Gentleman View Post
    As for the divine Callas, while I am as full of admiration for her artistry as anyone else, I must admit (at the risk of immediate excommunication from these pages) that I am sometimes taken with the mischievous fancy that her voice slightly resembles a cross between Clara Cluck and Droopy.

  14. #629
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,890
    Post Thanks / Like
    Someone needs to hotfoot it over to DA's house and give him a chill pill and a nice lie-down in a quiet room and DON'T LET HIM READ THIS^^^
    Natalie

  15. #630
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Someone needs to hotfoot it over to DA's house and give him a chill pill and a nice lie-down in a quiet room and DON'T LET HIM READ THIS^^^
    No it is perfectly normal to be perplexed and even question why the ardent fans of Callas, her voice is not traditionally beautiful smooth velvet tone, a flawed voice by that measure.....yet that is her main attraction a unique instantly recognizeable voice, distinctive vocal color and timbres that can be unforgettable, dramatic beyond compare with deep chest voice and thrilling powerfully projected high note that is just electrifying

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS