Page 50 of 89 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 LastLast

Thread: New and upcoming CDs, DVDs, and blu-rays

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    Collecting the driftwood now. Looking for stake and rope props from an appropriate production of Il Trovatore now.

(Sorry about the misattribution StLukesGuildOhio, I was confused by the colors and lack of quote.)
    If that doesn't work, you might look for a good production of Don Carlos..

Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    It did not, of course, occur to me that you were serious. Maybe the idea does need a little further thought. The operas are so rich, that each needs a little time to be savored.
    I guess you've never tried to shell a whole bag of pistachios and then cram the contents of the entire bag in your mouth all at once? No?

And again, I return to my sad refrain: I think I might be alone in the Venn intersection of movie marathon participants and Ring Cycle fans, and doing a movie marathon by yourself is just not the same.
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

Member Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.npr.org/2013/08/11/209887...netrebko-verdi

It's Anna Netrebko's Verdi album. Found it on her facebook, available for 1 week only.

I'm impressed.

Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dongiovanni View Post
    http://www.npr.org/2013/08/11/209887...netrebko-verdi

It's Anna Netrebko's Verdi album. Found it on her facebook, available for 1 week only.

I'm impressed.
    Yes! Very nice. Third time it was posted to some thread or other, but that just shows everyone has been impressed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    It did not, of course, occur to me that you were serious. Maybe the idea does need a little further thought. The operas are so rich, that each needs a little time to be savored.
    Isn't that what meal breaks are for?

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    Collecting the driftwood now. Looking for stake and rope props from an appropriate production of Il Trovatore now.

(Sorry about the misattribution StLukesGuildOhio, I was confused by the colors and lack of quote.)
    If you all burn me at the stake for this, it's OK, I'll die for a good cause.
    Signed,
    Alma
    President of the American Association of Parsifal's Libretto Haters
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    If you all burn me at the stake for this, it's OK, I'll die for a good cause.
    Signed,
    Alma
    President of the American Association of Parsifal's Libretto Haters
    No one escapes the Spanish Inquisition! Remember Torquemada's golden rule: those who refuse to recant are burned with slow-burning green wood!

(ok, joking of course )

Post Thanks / Like
    Opera Lafayette Announces Release of 'Le Roi et le fermier': [clicky]

Post Thanks / Like
    CD & DVD Reviews: Rossini's Semiramide: [clicky]

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Natalie

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Great to see the ROH version for future sale, I will buy blu ray if available.......that horsehead comes in handy at summer BBQs

Post Thanks / Like
    I am very excited about this new production of Die Tote Stadt, with Klaus Florian Vogt and Camilla Nylund. The production by Kasper Holten looks good too:

Natalie

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am very excited about this new production of Die Tote Stadt, with Klaus Florian Vogt and Camilla Nylund. The production by Kasper Holten looks good too:

This is good news! I've wanted to find a recording of this opera, but was picky about cast members. Can't get much better than Vogt and Nylund (unless it's Kaufmann and Nylund.) Sorry, couldn't resist . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    This is good news! I've wanted to find a recording of this opera, but was picky about cast members. Can't get much better than Vogt and Nylund (unless it's Kaufmann and Nylund.) Sorry, couldn't resist . . .
    Kaufmann in this role, no way, much as I would love it from the acting and eye candy point of view. The tessitura is simply too consistently high and kind of light - he'd be crooning 50% of the time. In fact it is really hard to find anyone who can cope - except for KFV, of course, who was born to sing this (I have him on CD and I'm very happy with it).
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; September 12th, 2013 at 04:15 AM.
    Natalie

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kaufmann in this role, no way, much as I would love it from the acting and eye candy point of view. The tessitura is simply too consistently high and kind of light - he'd be crooning 50% of the time. In fact it is really hard to find anyone who can cope - except for KFV, of course, who was born to sing this (I have him on CD and I'm very happy with it).
    I'm not familiar enough with the opera to know what the range of Paul's music is. Previous recordings of the opera had the likes of Kollo, James King, Stefan Vinke, and Torsten Kerl in the part, all of whom sang/have sung the heavy Wagner Heldentenor roles. So I figured the Jonas would be able to tackle it. But your description of the music as high and light makes me glad I never purchased the recordings with any of the aforementioned gents. This new one will be exactly right.