Page 87 of 87 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87
Results 1,291 to 1,304 of 1304

Thread: New and upcoming CDs, DVDs, and blu-rays

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Released June 29, 2018.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

2. Likes Amfortas liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Released June 29, 2018.
    This is a well staged and superbly sung Land of Smiles. It is abridged with most of the spoken dialogue removed. The Seefestspiele Morbisch version is complete, but this one is better sung.

4. Likes Florestan, Soave_Fanciulla, Amfortas liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

According to JK’s unofficial web site, the video recording (both DVD and Blu-ray formats) from his concert this past weekend at Berlin’s Waldbühne is supposed to be released near the end of September. He was joined by mezzo Anita Rachvelishvili for a program that included opera excerpts (first half) and Italian folksongs/popular songs (second half).

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Met's Norma (Radvanovsky, DiDonato, Calleja) will be out in early November (Amazon US)

7. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer, Amfortas liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    The Met's Norma (Radvanovsky, DiDonato, Calleja) will be out in early November (Amazon US)
    Yes, I already had it in my sights.

Eventually, I'll run out of room. Do I downsize on CDs and DVDs, or on cats?

9. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    Do I downsize on CDs and DVDs, or on cats?
    I would suggest that in order to give this proper consideration, it is necessary to ascertain the situation. Firstly we need to ask, do you have more cats than CD's?

11. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    I would suggest that in order to give this proper consideration, it is necessary to ascertain the situation. Firstly we need to ask, do you have more cats than CD's?
    Two cats . . . I'd say a few more CDs than that.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how the downsizing would work. So far, I've been no more successful at making the cats smaller than I was with the CDs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I already had it in my sights.

Eventually, I'll run out of room. Do I downsize on CDs and DVDs, or on cats?
    Hmmmm. In my thinking, cats and CDs don't mix. How does the CD player take the fur?
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

14. Likes Amfortas liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...So far, I've been no more successful at making the cats smaller...
    Try using opera glasses.

Then turn the glasses around and make them freakishly big.

Then turn them around again and make them small again.

Depending on how childish you are (/I am) this can amuse you for hours.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I'll stop corrupting this thread and disappointing opera fans looking for new works...

16. Likes Amfortas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why did I have to see this?

Conductor/orchestra: Otto Tausk, St. Gallen Symphony Orchestral; St. Gallen Opera Chorus
    Director: Jan Schmidt-Garre
    Cast: Jacquelyn Wagner (Leonore), Norbert Ernst (Florestan), Roman Trekel (Pizarro), Wojtek Gierlach (Rocco), Tatjana Schneider (Marzelline), Roccardo Botta (Jaquino), Martin Summer (Don Fernando)
    EuroArts 2064858 (1 DVD)

This performance apparently just took place last month, but I'm going to snoop around YouTube and look for "samples" before I decide whether or not to buy. (If this were only an audio recording, I'd be less hesitant.) The two leads are sung by the sort of lyric-dramatic voices I like -- Norbert Ernst actually sings Jaquino in the Salzburg Festival production with JK and Adrianne Pieczonka.

18. Thanks Florestan thanked for this post
    Likes Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Why did I have to see this?

Conductor/orchestra: Otto Tausk, St. Gallen Symphony Orchestral; St. Gallen Opera Chorus
    Director: Jan Schmidt-Garre
    Cast: Jacquelyn Wagner (Leonore), Norbert Ernst (Florestan), Roman Trekel (Pizarro), Wojtek Gierlach (Rocco), Tatjana Schneider (Marzelline), Roccardo Botta (Jaquino), Martin Summer (Don Fernando)
    EuroArts 2064858 (1 DVD)

This performance apparently just took place last month, but I'm going to snoop around YouTube and look for "samples" before I decide whether or not to buy. (If this were only an audio recording, I'd be less hesitant.) The two leads are sung by the sort of lyric-dramatic voices I like -- Norbert Ernst actually sings Jaquino in the Salzburg Festival production with JK and Adrianne Pieczonka.
    Whelp! I guess I will be getting another Fidelio--maybe. Here is a video that was linked at PrestoClassical. Not enough to give me a good feel for the whole production.

20. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I watched that clip and read a review in one of the St. Gallen newspapers. (My bad; the performance actually took place at the St. Gallen Festival back in summer.) I remain undecided. For me, it's not a good sign when the director leaves Leonore in women's attire and place her atop a pedestal throughout much of the opera. Yeah, Herr Schmidt-Garre, we get the symbolism . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    I watched that clip and read a review in one of the St. Gallen newspapers. (My bad; the performance actually took place at the St. Gallen Festival back in summer.) I remain undecided. For me, it's not a good sign when the director leaves Leonore in women's attire and place her atop a pedestal throughout much of the opera. Yeah, Herr Schmidt-Garre, we get the symbolism . . .
    It is a strange production, perhaps worth picking up some day when used prices are low. Curiously a review says (translated by Google), "The final version from 1814 will be played, and thus without the "Gold Aria" of the Rocco, which Beethoven had already deleted in the second version of 1806 and later discontinued." I never heard of the Gold Aria not belonging to the 1814 version. I thought it came out for 1806 and was put back in for 1814.

Here is the review in German, and translated by Google.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd never heard about the "Gold" aria being omitted from the 1814 final version. In fact, it has different text than the one in the Urfassung. But, come to think of it, when Helmuth Rilling conducted concert performances of Fidelio in Stuttgart and Bonn in the summer of 2002, Rocco's aria was omitted. (I have a cassette tape I made from the radio broadcast in 2003 -- Jonas Kaufmann sings his first Florestan, with Dietrich Henschel as Pizarro and Franz Josef Selig as Rocco. Amanda Mace's Leonore is less impressive.)