Page 90 of 90 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90
Results 1,336 to 1,344 of 1344

Thread: New and upcoming CDs, DVDs, and blu-rays

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Cecilia Bartoli has a new solo album that will soon be released, this one devoted to the castrato Farinelli.

I took one look at that cover photo and thought of the Austrian pop singer Conchita Wurst (a.k.a. Thomas Neuwirth).

https://eurovision.tv/participant/conchita-wurst
    Ahhhhh! My eyes hurt!
    "Music is enought for a whole lifetime--but a lifetime is not enough for music." --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

2. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Ah, so the recording of Reicha's Lenore that I purchased a few years ago is now being reissued paired with Beethoven's incidental music to Egmont. Aside from the fact that the two composers were good friends, there doesn't seem to be anything otherwise linking the two works.

4. Likes Florestan, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    DVD Release Date: January 17, 2020
    www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZWBFHXY/ Review from Amazon listing:
    An overpowering and paradoxical perfume of dream and reality floats around La Traviata, as if the life and death of this so-called ""errant"" woman seem more real and more elusive than those of other opera heroines. It is with this perfume, composed of rare flower essences, of alcohols, of prescription drugs, of skins caressed, of seemingly odorless money, that Giuseppe Verdi deeply impregnated his musical material, just at the time when the perfume of the story of the courtesan Marie Duplessis, who died in 1847, six years before the opera was created in Venice, was evaporating. In Traviata You deserve a better future, the audience is invited into Violettas privacy to have a close look at the fire to which she abandons herself among the guests of this musical and phantasmagorical celebration that blends theatre and opera, voices that speak and sing, and where the distinction between the instrumentalists and the singers becomes blurred, where Charles Baudelaire is seated next to Christophe Tarkos, and where the phantoms of this Paris in full industrial boom whose future we are living at present, sing and die.
    "Music is enought for a whole lifetime--but a lifetime is not enough for music." --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

6. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Conductor/orchestra: Yannick Nézet-Séguin, Mahler Chamber Orchestra; Sir Antonio Pappano, London Symphony Orchestra
    Arias from Don Giovanni, Cosě fan tutte, Die Entführung aus dem Serail, Le Nozze di Figaro, La Clemenza di Tito, and Die Zauberflöte, plus three concert arias
    Deutsche Grammophon

At first glance, I thought this was nothing more than a compilation of excerpts from the series of Mozart opera recordings with Nézet-Séguin and Villazón. But the complete recordings, with the exception of Don Giovanni, feature the Chamber Orchestra of Europe. The opera selections on this new CD were recorded at the Baden Baden Festspielhaus in July of the years 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2017, and 2018, with the three concert arias recorded in February, 2012, at the Abbey Road Studios in London.

8. Thanks Ann Lander (sospiro) thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The more I look at the "new" Villazón Mozart disc, the more suspicious I am that this is, in fact, nothing more than excerpts from the complete recordings. Despite the varied name of the orchestra, what else could account for recording dates spaced a year or two apart? And, just as in the recently released Die Zauberflöte recording, the tenor is heard here singing Papageno's arias rather than Tamino's. I guess if one is a fan of Villazón and doesn't already own the complete opera recordings with him, then this CD may be appealing.

10. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to JK’s unofficial web site (http://www.jkaufmann.info/neu.htm), a studio recording of Otello with the tenor and Sir Tony Pappano will be released on 27 March. Operawire references an Instagram photo from the tenor that mentions the recording, and adds that Federica Lombardi and Carlos Álvarez are heard as Desdemona and Iago, respectively.

12. Likes Adrian liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to JK’s unofficial web site (http://www.jkaufmann.info/neu.htm), a studio recording of Otello with the tenor and Sir Tony Pappano will be released on 27 March. Operawire references an Instagram photo from the tenor that mentions the recording, and adds that Federica Lombardi and Carlos Álvarez are heard as Desdemona and Iago, respectively.
    You've beat me to it, just about to post this pic from Instagram I believe .

14. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The more I look at the "new" Villazón Mozart disc, the more suspicious I am that this is, in fact, nothing more than excerpts from the complete recordings. Despite the varied name of the orchestra, what else could account for recording dates spaced a year or two apart? And, just as in the recently released Die Zauberflöte recording, the tenor is heard here singing Papageno's arias rather than Tamino's. I guess if one is a fan of Villazón and doesn't already own the complete opera recordings with him, then this CD may be appealing.
    How odd. If I was a fan I think I'd feel conned.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Post Thanks / Like
    Release 14 Feb 2020!

17. Likes Nemorino, MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post