Thread: Nina Barbone

Bookmark and Share
    Junior Member Newcomer
    Post Thanks / Like

Nina Barbone

Hi, does anyone know if there is a biography available anywhere of Nina Barbone? Specifically, what schools did she attend as a girl?

Many thanks

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hm... fairly obscure mezzo from England, active in the 40's, I think. Why the interest?
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Junior Member Newcomer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Hm... fairly obscure mezzo from England, active in the 40's, I think. Why the interest?
    Thanks. My interest was in part the school she is said to have attended near Liverpool, which I have been researching. She sang on the BBC during the war while she was still as school - see 1944 attachment - so must have shown early talent.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by soonguy View Post
    Thanks. My interest was in part the school she is said to have attended near Liverpool, which I have been researching. She sang on the BBC during the war while she was still as school - see 1944 attachment - so must have shown early talent.
    It seems like that promising future didn't materialize. I couldn't find much more on her beyond that Cherubino.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Junior Member Newcomer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah well, thanks!

Junior Member Newcomer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nina Mimi Barbone was born on 11 July 1920 in Moreton, Cheshire, her father, Emmanuele, was 43, and her mother, Eva, was 29. She married Peter Garret Whittow-Williams in 1946. They had two children during their marriage. She died in November 2004 in Brentwood, Essex, at the age of 84. I think it was Waterloo High school she went to in Liverpool
    . She broadcast from Alexander Palace live TV with the BBC in 1938/9 I think, and then again after the war. She sang on In Town Tonight, another BBC radio show. Professionally she was with Sadlers Wells.
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm6880598/?ref_=tt_cl_t5
    if anyone knows of any recordings I would love to get a copy.. I'm her son.

Junior Member Newcomer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mark

Hope you can find a recording somewhere. I doubt that the BBC recorded much, before the advent of tape, but the BBC genome project - ie their archives - are exceptionally helpful to inquiries such as this and you can contact them at genomefeedback@bbc.co.uk
    In addition, they have all the issues of the Radio Times archived and searchable, so you can search for any reference about your mother.

As you will see in the newspaper piece I posted, she was recorded as being at Waterloo High School. However, I find no record of any school in Waterloo with that title, since Waterloo High School itself closed in 1926. So 'Waterloo High School' may have just been an informal title which the newspaper reporter picked up as being official. Waterloo Park School, as someone just suggested, seems a likely official designation.

I had a quick look on the Newspaper Archive, which is accesible for members of FindmyPast and other genealogy websites, and may well also be available free in your local library. There are over 100 newspaper references to concerts she sang at.

Best wishes

Tony

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow what a fantastic find! Great that you two met here!

(Sorry, no contribution from me for your research)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by markwx2 View Post
    Nina Mimi Barbone was born on 11 July 1920 in Moreton, Cheshire, her father, Emmanuele, was 43, and her mother, Eva, was 29. She married Peter Garret Whittow-Williams in 1946. They had two children during their marriage. She died in November 2004 in Brentwood, Essex, at the age of 84. I think it was Waterloo High school she went to in Liverpool
    . She broadcast from Alexander Palace live TV with the BBC in 1938/9 I think, and then again after the war. She sang on In Town Tonight, another BBC radio show. Professionally she was with Sadlers Wells.
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm6880598/?ref_=tt_cl_t5
    if anyone knows of any recordings I would love to get a copy.. I'm her son.
    Welcome to Opera Lively! I hope you find a recording of your mother.

Junior Member Newcomer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi thanks Tony, yes I seem to remember she referred to her school as Waterloo Park School. We have lots of press clippings, media/press photos, radio times and a trunk full of fan mail but sadly no recordings.. she lent all her 78's to a neighbour in the 60's but sadly for us never got them back.

Mark Whittow-Williams