Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: A Few Travel Photos..

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    A Few Travel Photos..

    Very happy to be back home after a 3 week trip with no opera (I lost my airpods on the first or second day ). Myanmar is an extraordinary country, made clear by a very perceptive tour organizer and India an amazing place, with thanks to a very organized tour operator who helped create a memorable and happy experience. A few of my favorite photos:

    Am sitting and listening to Pristine's recording of Callas' Norma (1955)

    Name:  P1000571.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  85.3 KB.

    Novice monks, Myanmar


    Name:  fullsizeoutput_9d6.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  15.0 KB

    View from Sagaing, Myanmar


    Name:  P1000588.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  85.7 KB

    Fisherman in Amarapura, Myanmar


    Name:  fullsizeoutput_9be.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  6.7 KB

    Balloon ride over Bagan, Myanmar


    Name:  P1000744.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  84.9 KB

    Bagan, Myanmar


    Name:  P100E0823.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  96.1 KB

    Fishermen, Inle Lake, Myanmar


    Since the file is getting big, I will add a few photos of India later on..

    Ok, I give up. Why do my photos keep getting rotated?? Can anybody help?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,438
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you're a fruit man but in windows it seems to upload the correct way automatically but we also have an option in the windows folder to manually rotate the pictures. I'm guessing that in the Apple equivalent, you can see the pictures on the correct orientation but maybe there is also a way to change (the properties?) the picture to either landscape or portrait.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,438
    Post Thanks / Like
    Option B: give your tech clever nephew a call, saying you have a gift from your travels for him to pick up "and by the way, how do you..."

  4. #4
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,027
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Very happy to be back home after a 3 week trip with no opera (I lost my airpods on the first or second day ). Myanmar is an extraordinary country, made clear by a very perceptive tour organizer and India an amazing place, with thanks to a very organized tour operator who helped create a memorable and happy experience. A few of my favorite photos.


    Fantastic photos and so pleased you've had a good time.
    " if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it, and above all become passionate about it."
    Roald Dahl

  5. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
  6. #5
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,027
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pilgrimage!

    Name:  Leam DSC01052.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  92.0 KB
    " if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it, and above all become passionate about it."
    Roald Dahl

  7. Likes Clayton, Hoffmann, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
  8. #6
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,438
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you end up spending way more money that you had thought you might?

  9. #7
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,027
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Did you end up spending way more money that you had thought you might?
    Of course not!!

    Well erm ...

    I might have done.
    " if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it, and above all become passionate about it."
    Roald Dahl

  10. Likes Clayton liked this post
  11. #8
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    2,970
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now I have to get my picture taken in front of Dearborn Music and post it.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

  12. #9
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,854
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Pilgrimage!

    Name:  Leam DSC01052.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  92.0 KB
    Wow, they're a small store! I always depicted them as a big warehouse like Amazon... I mean, of course they probably also have a big warehouse somewhere, but this store facade looks like a mom-and-pop store.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  13. Likes Florestan liked this post
  14. #10
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,027
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Wow, they're a small store! I always depicted them as a big warehouse like Amazon... I mean, of course they probably also have a big warehouse somewhere, but this store facade looks like a mom-and-pop store.
    I'm not exactly sure what a *mom-and-pop* store is but if you mean small, then yes it was! It also sold musical instruments and there was a piano with an invite to play if you wanted to.

    I didn't ask but I'm sure they will have a huge warehouse nearby.
    " if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it, and above all become passionate about it."
    Roald Dahl

  15. #11
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,854
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what a *mom-and-pop* store is but if you mean small, then yes it was! It also sold musical instruments and there was a piano with an invite to play if you wanted to.

    I didn't ask but I'm sure they will have a huge warehouse nearby.
    Mom-and-Pop store refers to a small family-owned business as opposed to a big corporation. For example, people blame Amazon and Walmart for killing small individually-owned commerce, given that the small guys can't compete in price, variety, and ease of delivery with the big corporations, therefore they go out of business.

    Blaming these corporations is actually a concept I don't really endorse, as much as I know that my opinion on this is highly unpopular. I believe that these corporations are a product of evolution in commerce and modern life, and the trends that enable them are irreversible. I think that holding on to the idea of mom-and-pop stores in the 21st century is akin to lamenting that a business based on horse-driven travel disappears when people instead prefer to travel by ultra-fast trains and airplanes.

    Sure, it would be lovely if the big corporations treated their own employees better, with better pay and benefits, and in this, I join those who abhor Amazon and Walmart, but I think the arena to address these ailments is different (the hurt parties should complain to the Department of Labor and get into negotiations with the employer). Regardless of addressing these shortcomings or not, it is also a fact that this day and age, people will go for the price, choice, and fast delivery (now even done by drones, and in many cases, same-day within hours of a placed order) offered by these large corporations, as they will balk at driving 40 minutes to a mom-and-pop store, struggling to find parking, having a limited selection to choose from, and paying a bigger price, instead of doing it all from the convenience of their laptops.

    So, sure, poor mom-and-pop, but it's just the way it is. Things evolve.

    Amazon launched an ad campaign to counter this perception. It shows a small family-run business that makes artisan perfume. It shows that they do have a small brick-and-mortar store, then it closes after business hours. It then shows that they also have an online presence as an Amazon Marketplace member, which then allows them to attend to their customers' orders 24/7, have them delivered worldwide (images of containers and airplanes with the Amazon logo appear), and ultimately the business thrives and grows.

    Sure, Amazon is trying to do some PR here, and they are no saints. But it is true that this small perfume store showed a capacity to evolve and take advantage of a new business environment. Like in nature and according to Darwin, it's a selection of the fittest. If a mom-and-pop store doesn't evolve, yes, it will go the way of the dinosaurs.

    Just as much as I don't travel by horse but rather by airplane, these days I shop online.

    Presto is actually a prime example of the evolution I'm talking about. I'm receiving today a large order of several DVDs and blu-rays from Presto, sent to me across the Atlantic from their headquarters in England. They wouldn't be able to get my business otherwise because I can't from here walk into their small store. Then, they did get organized; likely as we said they do have a large warehouse to take care of online orders and worldwide delivery, so, they were not killed by Amazon. Kudos to them.

    See, it's interesting that your picture shows their facade, the name Presto Music, and right next to it, we see the first letters of their URL (for those who don't know it, it's www.prestoclassical.co.uk )

    Moms and pops who don't do this, go kaput.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); October 6th, 2018 at 02:12 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  16. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  17. #12
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,854
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's this guy Luiz Gazzola who imposed this rule that we don't discuss politics here. Uh-oh, where is he? Please let me know if he comes close. I hope the moderators don't see this post.

    But anyway, it's related to an ongoing and long discussion we always had here (so banning it would affect many posts and threads) about the fate of mom-and-pop, brick-and-mortar vinyl, CD, and DVD record stores, and it's not partisan politics because the root causes transcend the actions of any specific party, so I guess it's OK to post this link here. I found this interview rather interesting, letting us know that the cause of death for the small stores as opposed to the giant retailers, is not exactly the fact that we don't "shop local" enough (which, according to the interviewee, we should do anyway, but if we assume it's the main cause, we are accepting blame as consumers when the real blame is elsewhere), but rather, tax breaks for the big retailers, misuse of eminent domain, and rental practices that dramatically quadruple rent in urban spaces and aim for short-term contracts (one year at a time).

    It is interesting that the picture they picked to illustrate the article is exactly one of a small record store.

    https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/1...-jeremiah-moss
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  18. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
  19. #13
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,857
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    There's this guy Luiz Gazzola who imposed this rule that we don't discuss politics here. Uh-oh, where is he? Please let me know if he comes close. I hope the moderators don't see this post.

    But anyway, it's related to an ongoing and long discussion we always had here (so banning it would affect many posts and threads) about the fate of mom-and-pop, brick-and-mortar vinyl, CD, and DVD record stores, and it's not partisan politics because the root causes transcend the actions of any specific party, so I guess it's OK to post this link here. I found this interview rather interesting, letting us know that the cause of death for the small stores as opposed to the giant retailers, is not exactly the fact that we don't "shop local" enough (which, according to the interviewee, we should do anyway, but if we assume it's the main cause, we are accepting blame as consumers when the real blame is elsewhere), but rather, tax breaks for the big retailers, misuse of eminent domain, and rental practices that dramatically quadruple rent in urban spaces and aim for short-term contracts (one year at a time).

    It is interesting that the picture they picked to illustrate the article is exactly one of a small record store.

    https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/1...-jeremiah-moss
    I've decided not to ban you from your own forum .

    Also as you say, this is economics not politics.
    Natalie

  20. Likes Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Non-Operatic Travel
    By Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) in forum Off-topic discussions
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: August 12th, 2015, 02:20 AM
  2. Travel tips
    By Ann Lander (sospiro) in forum Off-topic discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: December 19th, 2013, 09:30 PM
  3. Opera Travel
    By Hoffmann in forum General Operatic Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 17th, 2013, 12:14 AM
  4. Opera House Area Photos
    By Tardis in forum General Operatic Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 12th, 2013, 09:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS