Thread: Operatic Earworms

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Operatic Earworms

I listened to the Silvio Varviso L'Italiana in Algeri recording with Teresa Berganza a couple of days ago, which had been languishing in my ULP and think it's pretty good:

Name:  L'ItalianainAlgeriVarviso.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  15.5 KB

Nothing quite compares with the Scimone set with Marilyn Horne, Kathleen Battle and Samuel Ramey, but I digress.

It never fails that one of L'Italiana's bass arias keeps echoing in my brain for days afterwards. Rossini's coloratura arias/ensemble pieces seem to have more 'hooks' in them (for me) than any other composer.

I can't be alone in this. Someone else must have this problem - any other earworm issues out there?

2. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    - any other earworm issues out there?
    Oh goodness, yes! Current one is

" … if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it, and above all become passionate about it."
    Roald Dahl

4. Likes MAuer, Hoffmann liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been listing to La Sonnambula for two weeks now. Do I get earworms from it? I prefer to call them ear pets.

To me, earworms are the undesireable bits such as playing in the background at dentist's office.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

6. Likes Hoffmann, MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been listening to Ariadne auf Naxos, and some of the melodies in Zerbinetta’s monologue, “Grossmächtige Prinzessin,” have definitely become earworms.

But I know what Florestan means about the other sort -- it seems one can't enter a store, restaurant, and even professional offices now without being subjected to unwanted "entertainment." At least the dentist's office restricts it to background noise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    But I know what Florestan means about the other sort -- it seems one can't enter a store, restaurant, and even professional offices now without being subjected to unwanted "entertainment." At least the dentist's office restricts it to background noise.
    Yeah, but my dental hygienist sings along it while cleaning my teeth! Ugh!
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Post Thanks / Like
    At least the dentist's office restricts it to background noise.
    My hygienist berates me about my poor/nonexistent flossing habits. As if going to the dentist wasn't painful enough already, my dentist's choice of background music is smooth jazz. Kenny G. anyone?

My now retired - and wonderful - endodontist, on the other hand was (presumably still is) a big opera fan. Her office background music was operatic arias, choruses and overtures. She told me that she didn't care that most people struggle with opera and believed she was educating her patients.

She also commuted from DC to NY for the Met's Ring (prior to the LePage Ring), returning to DC on the early AM flight on mornings following each opera to see patients.

10. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My hygienist berates me about my poor/nonexistent flossing habits. As if going to the dentist wasn't painful enough already, my dentist's choice of background music is smooth jazz. Kenny G. anyone?

My now retired - and wonderful - endodontist, on the other hand was (presumably still is) a big opera fan. Her office background music was operatic arias, choruses and overtures. She told me that she didn't care that most people struggle with opera and believed she was educating her patients.

She also commuted from DC to NY for the Met's Ring (prior to the LePage Ring), returning to DC on the early AM flight on mornings following each opera to see patients.
    I am a horrible flosser too, but when I started using the little brushes that go between the teeth, my gums improved significantly and stopped bleeding during cleanings. I still use floss a couple times a week because it gets some stuff the brushes don't but the brushes are way easier to use and quicker. For floss, I use those tossable plastic jigs with one piece in them for single use. The brushes can be kept for a week or so or use the cheaper plastic/rubberized betweens and toss daily.

My dentist office and chiropractor both play ungodly pop music that is extremely annoying but shows me just how far down the toilet society is. Sadly, Christian contemporary music uses about the same beats as the secular pop (and so does not get my listening time). And that beat is meant to be addictive to those mentally disconnected from the music--most casual pop listeners, the type who run the radio incessantly. I have always been very selective about my music, so never fell into that trap.

Would love classical background instead. Opera would be awesome!

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Admirable attitude! I think Shopping Malls and other such places should play classical music and opera.
    " … if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it, and above all become passionate about it."
    Roald Dahl

13. Likes MAuer, Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps it would even help patients waiting at a medical office to have classical music playing in the background -- something calm and soothing to settle nerves a bit.

15. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Perhaps it would even help patients waiting at a medical office to have classical music playing in the background -- something calm and soothing to settle nerves a bit.
    In my case, though, I kept telling endodontist to 'stop drilling'! I love this part!