Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beczala is einspringing; looks like someone else will now have to einspring for him elsewhere.

Dear Friends!
    As you may have just read, I am taking over the title role in Richard Wagner’s “Lohengrin” at this year’s Bayreuth Festival. I am of course extremely excited to make my Bayreuth debut this year, and to collaborate again with Christian Thielemann and so many wonderful colleagues.
    But with all the excitement, I also want to tell you that this has been a very difficult decision for me. I know I am disappointing many of you who were planning to see me in other cities around the world. Please know that I hate nothing more than disappointing you, dear friends. I can only hope for your understanding that this is such a very special situation and promise to make it up to you in the future! I want to thank all the wonderful cultural institutions who understood this and helped me to get to Bayreuth. And I want to thank you, dear friends, for your love and support, always. See you very soon! Piotr
    Natalie

2. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Clayton, MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Beczala is einspringing; looks like someone else will now have to einspring for him elsewhere.
    What a wonderful opportunity for him and what a challenge! Good luck to him.
    " … if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it, and above all become passionate about it."
    Roald Dahl

4. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The world needs more Lohengrins. And Tannhäusers. A big thumbs up and wishing him well for a big success!

6. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Junior Member Recent member
    Post Thanks / Like
    saw this on Twitter: a few mins ago unless its been posted sorry
    https://meetmeattheopera.com/metropo...season-201819/

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by halochef View Post
    saw this on Twitter: a few mins ago unless its been posted sorry
    https://meetmeattheopera.com/metropo...season-201819/
    Yes, I think it's been posted elsewhere. But the Met seems to be regressing. Only four new productions (while the European houses I've been visiting typically have nine or ten), and a lot of revivals. The Lepage Ring, ugh... Isabel Leonard as Marnie should be good, and it's nice to see Aida Garifullina finally making it at the Met. Pelléas et Mélisande with Isabel Leonard and Paul Appleby should be good too, and S&D with Roberto and Elina is a must. But a lot of this season draws a big yawn from me. I've seen most of these productions already.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

9. Thanks halochef thanked for this post
    Likes halochef liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Yes, I think it's been posted elsewhere. But the Met seems to be regressing. Only four new productions (while the European houses I've been visiting typically have nine or ten), and a lot of revivals. The Lepage Ring, ugh... Isabel Leonard as Marnie should be good, and it's nice to see Aida Garifullina finally making it at the Met. Pelléas et Mélisande with Isabel Leonard and Paul Appleby should be good too, and S&D with Roberto and Elina is a must. But a lot of this season draws a big yawn from me. I've seen most of these productions already.
    Well there you go then. It's a classic example of that ancient and well known saying; one man's yawn is another man's kidney auction. I'd gladly auction one of my kidneys for a see all ticket.

11. Thanks halochef thanked for this post
    Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro), halochef liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Well there you go then. It's a classic example of that ancient and well known saying; one man's yawn is another man's kidney auction. I'd gladly auction one of my kidneys for a see all ticket.
    The problem is, I've seen 20 of these productions already, some more than once, so even if it's a different cast, it gets old. Only four new productions per season is not really what a major opera house should be doing. It's nice for people visiting from abroad who haven't seen these shows yet but for the regulars it becomes a bit stale. Then the Met complains that they can't fill all the seats. Well, yeah. To have sold-out houses you can't just rely on tourists; you have to develop your local audience, and when you repeat the same stuff over and over the local audience gets tired; then you start seeing the empty seats. It becomes then a vicious circle because the company gets less money, operates at a loss, then reduces even more the number of new productions. That's why I said the Met seems to be regressing.

I don't want to sound over-critical, I love the Met. But it's been a problem; over the years things are starting to be less and less enticing. I have reduced my ticket purchases, and I'm sure many have done like me, which is why the Met's ticket sales have been dropping.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

13. Thanks halochef thanked for this post
    Likes halochef, MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    The problem is, I've seen 20 of these productions already, some more than once, so even if it's a different cast, it gets old. Only four new productions per season is not really what a major opera house should be doing. It's nice for people visiting from abroad who haven't seen these shows yet but for the regulars it becomes a bit stale. Then the Met complains that they can't fill all the seats. Well, yeah. To have sold-out houses you can't just rely on tourists; you have to develop your local audience, and when you repeat the same stuff over and over the local audience gets tired; then you start seeing the empty seats. It becomes then a vicious circle because the company gets less money, operates at a loss, then reduces even more the number of new productions. That's why I said the Met seems to be regressing.

I don't want to sound over-critical, I love the Met. But it's been a problem; over the years things are starting to be less and less enticing. I have reduced my ticket purchases, and I'm sure many have done like me, which is why the Met's ticket sales have been dropping.
    Same with the HD broadcasts - a lot of repeats, and the more interesting operas often don't feature.
    Natalie

15. Likes Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Daniele Gatti, chief conductor at Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Amsterdam, asked to leave with immediate effect. I've seen him live and very sad to hear this.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...ons-misconduct
    " … if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it, and above all become passionate about it."
    Roald Dahl

17. Thanks halochef, MAuer thanked for this post
    Likes halochef liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    News from Jonas Kaufmann's unofficial web site: JK will be returning to Australia a year from now for two concert performances of Andrea Chénier. Eva Maria Westbroek and Ludovic Tézier will be his co-stars.

https://opera.org.au/whatson/events/...chenier-sydney

19. Likes Florestan liked this post