Thread: News

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #2041
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,211
    Post Thanks / Like
    Something which may be of interest to our Florestan. Next year, to celebrate Beethoven's 250, Theater an der Wien is staging Fidelio.
    Last edited by Ann Lander (sospiro); January 4th, 2019 at 07:41 PM.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

    FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

  2. Thanks Florestan thanked for this post
    Likes Florestan, MAuer liked this post
  3. #2042
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    3,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Something which may be of interest to our Florestan. Next year, to celebrate Beethoven's 250, Theater an der Wien is staging Fidelio.
    Nice: (Google Translator) "a new production of the 1806 version of the opera Fidelio." Now if only they would make a DVD for public release!
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

  4. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
  5. #2043
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    3,182
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be interested to see who the cast members are come April. Meanwhile, there's still no sign of the audio recording of the 1805 Urfassung conducted by René Jacobs (with Marlis Petersen as Leonore) that was supposed to be released at some point. I suspect Jacobs' verbose substitution for the original dialogue may be the stumbling block.

  6. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Florestan liked this post
  7. #2044
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    3,182
    Post Thanks / Like
    The great German bass-baritone Theo Adam has died.

    https://www.gramophone.co.uk/classic...-adam-has-died

  8. Thanks Ann Lander (sospiro), Florestan thanked for this post
  9. #2045
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,567
    Post Thanks / Like
    For those of you who follow such things a certain well-known tenor is scheduled to sing Paul (at last) in Munich in November, 2019


    https://www.staatsoper.de/en/product...ote-stadt.html

  10. #2046
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    3,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

  11. Likes MAuer liked this post
  12. #2047
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    3,182
    Post Thanks / Like
    In 2021, the Opéra National de Paris will be staging performances of Aida with Anna Netrebko, Jonas Kaufmann, Elīna Garanĉa, and Ludovic Tézier in the leading roles. (Source of this information is an article in a recent issue of Opera Now.) Fingers crossed that all of these singers stay healthy and that one of the performances is recorded for release on DVD/Blu-ray.

  13. Likes Florestan, Nemorino liked this post
  14. #2048
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    231
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reviews are in for Ivo van Hove's Don Giovanni, and it sounds dark and brilliant. This one is coming to the Met and can't get there fast enough.

  15. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  16. #2049
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    3,182
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to a couple of news briefs in the latest issue of Opernwelt, Daniel Barenboim’s contract as General Music Director of the Berlin State Opera has been extended until 2027. Meanwhile, the planned expansion and renovation of Berlin’s Komische Oper house is now set to begin in 2022, the same year Susanne Moser will succeed Barrie Kosky as Intendant(in). Kosky will remain with the Komische Oper through the construction period as house Regisseur, during which time performances will be given in the Schiller Theater. This is the same facility used as a substitute venue during the recent renovation of the Staatsoper’s house on Unter den Linden. I suspect that Berliners remembering the repeated delays in reopening the structure on Unter den Linden and the massive cost overruns involved in that project are hoping work on the Komische Oper isn’t going to be a case of “déjà vu all over again,” as Yogi Berra famously phrased it.

  17. Likes Nemorino, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  18. #2050
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,975
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    According to a couple of news briefs in the latest issue of Opernwelt, Daniel Barenboim’s contract as General Music Director of the Berlin State Opera has been extended until 2027. Meanwhile, the planned expansion and renovation of Berlin’s Komische Oper house is now set to begin in 2022, the same year Susanne Moser will succeed Barrie Kosky as Intendant(in). Kosky will remain with the Komische Oper through the construction period as house Regisseur, during which time performances will be given in the Schiller Theater. This is the same facility used as a substitute venue during the recent renovation of the Staatsoper’s house on Unter den Linden. I suspect that Berliners remembering the repeated delays in reopening the structure on Unter den Linden and the massive cost overruns involved in that project are hoping work on the Komische Oper isn’t going to be a case of “déjà vu all over again,” as Yogi Berra famously phrased it.
    I've been to all three theaters, the Komische, the Schiller, and the Staatsoper's house on Unter den Linden, and by far the most beautiful and comfortable one (not to mention the classiest) is the Komische, so it's hard to understand why the upgrades are needed. Maybe it's the stage part that is inadequate (the stage at the Komische is indeed smallish).
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  19. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  20. #2051
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    3,182
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to an item in the August issue of Opernwelt, Dominique Meyer, currently General Director of the Vienna State Opera, has been selected as the next Intendant of La Scala. He will begin his duties in Milan next summer, and for a time, the house will have two Intendanten, as Alexander Pereira’s contract there won’t expire until June, 2021.
    Since his arrival at La Scala in 2014, Herr Pereira has not distinguished himself by exercising good judgment. In the most recent incident, he arranged for the Saudi Minister of Culture, Prince Badr bin Abdullah, to receive a seat on La Scala’s board of directors in exchange for the Saudis’ €31 million sponsorship of the company. After protests by the regional government, the deal was scrapped and the money returned to the Saudis. While a large majority on the board voted to hire M. Meyer, it seems not everyone is happy to see Pereira leave. Cecilia Bartoli definitely isn’t, as she made clear on her web site, Facebook page, and Twitter, and underscored the message by withdrawing from the role of Cleopatra in La Scala’s new production of Handel’s Giulio Cesare scheduled for this coming autumn.
    Meanwhile, Bogdan Rošcić, president of Sony Classical, has been announced as M. Meyer’s successor at the Wiener Staatsoper. Prior to being hired by Sony, Mr. Rošcić was managing director of the Decca Music Group. When Jonas Kaufmann switched from Decca to Sony, there was speculation that his move had been prompted by Rošcić’s.

  21. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  22. #2052
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,211
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    According to an item in the August issue of Opernwelt, Dominique Meyer, currently General Director of the Vienna State Opera, has been selected as the next Intendant of La Scala. He will begin his duties in Milan next summer, and for a time, the house will have two Intendanten, as Alexander Pereira’s contract there won’t expire until June, 2021.
    Since his arrival at La Scala in 2014, Herr Pereira has not distinguished himself by exercising good judgment. In the most recent incident, he arranged for the Saudi Minister of Culture, Prince Badr bin Abdullah, to receive a seat on La Scala’s board of directors in exchange for the Saudis’ €31 million sponsorship of the company. After protests by the regional government, the deal was scrapped and the money returned to the Saudis. While a large majority on the board voted to hire M. Meyer, it seems not everyone is happy to see Pereira leave. Cecilia Bartoli definitely isn’t, as she made clear on her web site, Facebook page, and Twitter, and underscored the message by withdrawing from the role of Cleopatra in La Scala’s new production of Handel’s Giulio Cesare scheduled for this coming autumn.
    Interesting. The €s would have been very nice but I'm pleased someone has had the courage to say no to the Saudis for a change. Sparks may well fly with two Intendanten!


    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Meanwhile, Bogdan Rošcić, president of Sony Classical, has been announced as M. Meyer’s successor at the Wiener Staatsoper. Prior to being hired by Sony, Mr. Rošcić was managing director of the Decca Music Group. When Jonas Kaufmann switched from Decca to Sony, there was speculation that his move had been prompted by Rošcić’s.
    Expect we'll see even more of JK in Vienna.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

    FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS