Thread: News

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #346
    Banned Top Contributor Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,298
    Post Thanks / Like
    The news is that Beczała signed contract with DG and will release new CD with them perhaps as soon as in may of next year. It's going to be some kind of tribute to Richard Tauber. .

    The other news is that this widely acclaimed baritone geezer will debut at the Met in 2014, in Faust:


  2. #347
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,009
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne of Green Gables View Post
    The news is that Beczała signed contract with DG and will release new CD with them perhaps as soon as in may of next year. It's going to be some kind of tribute to Richard Tauber. .

    The other news is that this widely acclaimed baritone geezer will debut at the Met in 2014, in Faust:

    Wow, not bad at all!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  3. #348
    Schigolch
    Guest
    A star is born in 'Tosca' intermission:

    http://www.sfexaminer.com/entertainm...a-intermission
    Last edited by Schigolch; November 18th, 2012 at 10:29 PM.

  4. #349
    Schigolch
    Guest
    Call wardrobe! The dress code for opera is changing:

    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...g-8326235.html

  5. #350
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,009
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Schigolch View Post
    A star is born in 'Tosca' intermission:

    http://www.sfexaminer.com/entertainm...a-intermission
    Well, being the cover for an Angela Gheorghiu role must be the dream of all young sopranos, since the chances of having to step in, are, like, humongous!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  6. #351
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,009
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Schigolch View Post
    Call wardrobe! The dress code for opera is changing:

    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...g-8326235.html
    Well, that's nice. But largely unnecessary, like some commentators said in the article. Opera Carolina, for example, has a very young audience, on average, much younger than in most opera houses. They have an under-30 program called Bravo! for young professionals, with deeply discounted tickets, parties, theme cocktails... but they don't need to change the dress code or the productions. The youngsters come anyway, and yes, they do like to dress to impress! After all, the parties are an occasion to flirt as well, with all the glamour of going to the opera. And they also start with the even younger crowd, by allowing school kids to attend full dress rehearsals for free - they get some 1,500 kids there each time for these dress rehearsals, and they pay a lot of attention, and enjoy it! So, these initiatives perfectly do what the ENO is trying to do, without all the hype and the extremes... But, if the ENO is getting first timers to attend, then, more power to them.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  7. #352
    Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    823
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Well, that's nice. But largely unnecessary, like some commentators said in the article. Opera Carolina, for example, has a very young audience, on average, much younger than in most opera houses. They have an under-30 program called Bravo! for young professionals, with deeply discounted tickets, parties, theme cocktails... but they don't need to change the dress code or the productions. The youngsters come anyway, and yes, they do like to dress to impress! After all, the parties are an occasion to flirt as well, with all the glamour of going to the opera. And they also start with the even younger crowd, by allowing school kids to attend full dress rehearsals for free - they get some 1,500 kids there each time for these dress rehearsals, and they pay a lot of attention, and enjoy it! So, these initiatives perfectly do what the ENO is trying to do, without all the hype and the extremes... But, if the ENO is getting first timers to attend, then, more power to them.
    This is basically how I feel about this, but if there is an attitude of 'One wears pearls and tuxes to the opera, otherwise people will sneer at you' (which I believe to a certain extent to be true), then I see nothing wrong with an initiative like this. And if it turns out that it works, then great!

  8. #353
    Schigolch
    Guest

  9. #354
    Schigolch
    Guest
    The Top Five Tastiest Feasts in Opera:

    http://www.wqxr.org/#!/blogs/operavo..._content=item0

  10. #355
    Schigolch
    Guest
    An opera for my resistance fighter aunt:

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012...e-fighter-aunt

  11. #356
    Schigolch
    Guest
    ‘Luci Mie Traditrici’ to premiere in Moscow:

    http://themoscownews.com/arts/20121121/190894333.html

  12. #357
    Schigolch
    Guest

  13. #358
    Schigolch
    Guest
    A Failed Aria in Un Ballo in Maschera is No Laughing Matter

    http://www.policymic.com/articles/19...aughing-matter

  14. #359
    Banned Top Contributor Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,298
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't hear the performance but the thought that "whole opera was ruined" because his "ha, ha, ha" wasn't audible seems ridiculous. And isn't it ensamble when he's laughing, not an aria as the author suggests?

    Wait, he/she also writes: "Dmitri Hvorostovky was incredible". And it was Verdi. NOW IT'S GETTING SUSPICIOUS.

  15. #360
    Senior Member Involved Member Tardis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    365
    Post Thanks / Like
    Peter Gelb's great uncle was Jascha Heifetz???

    http://operateen.wordpress.com/2012/...th-peter-gelb/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS