Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    So Alma, are you and the Countess coming for La Trav?
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh wow!

I love this quote:

"My goal is, I'd like to be the music director of either the New York Philharmonic and/or the Met, if that's possible," he says. "If they're looking for someone to replace [James] Levine down the road."

The kid has pizazz!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    So Alma, are you and the Countess coming for La Trav?
    No, I can't. My sister will be visiting precisely that day, arriving at the airport late that afternoon; we will have to be there to pick her up, then we have dinner plans. Even if we were to take her with us (which she would probably love - she does like opera as well), we wouldn't be able to make it.

Which is a shame, because, wow, this is a really pretty soprano! And she can sing! This Hong Kong Opera orchestra, on the other hand...
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); July 7th, 2013 at 04:17 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hugh Maguire, who led the ROH orchestra from '83-'91, dead at 86.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    No, I can't. My sister will be visiting precisely that day, arriving at the airport late that afternoon; we will have to be there to pick her up, then we have dinner plans. Even if we were to take her with us (which she would probably love - she does like opera as well), we wouldn't be able to make it.

Which is a shame, because, wow, this is a really pretty soprano! And she can sing! This Hong Kong Opera orchestra, on the other hand...
    Yes, too bad. Unlike the Rossini we attended and the upcoming Falstaff, this La Trav is a single day only. I guess they just couldn't get the performers for more than that (because certainly the opera is such a staple that it is popular enough to have more than one performance if they could have managed it).

Post Thanks / Like
    La Bellissima has been ill:

Mexico City Concert on July 6 to be Rescheduled
    Published: 3 July 2013

Anna Netrebko and Erwin Schrott's concert scheduled for July 6, 2013 at the Palacio Bellas Artes in Mexico City unfortunately has been canceled. Ms. Netrebko is suffering from a throat infection and has been ordered on vocal rest by her doctor through July 8 while she undergoes a course of medication. Ms. Netrebko regrets disappointing her fans in Mexico City and is working to reschedule the appearance for the near future. More information will be announced shortly.

Post Thanks / Like
    La Bellissima has been ill:
    Well, fortunately this doesn't seem serious. I wish her a prompt recovery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! An actually sympathetic review. I'm shocked!

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    And a considerably more critical one
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jephtha View Post
    I'm especially interested in Der Freischütz. Performances of this opera are so rare outside Germany and Austria.
    Overlooked Operas: Weber's Der Freischütz

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Touché!

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think this review is that sympathetic. It sort of gives her a B for effort, and that's about it. It does talk about the lack of bloom and freshness in her voice, vocal problems, questions the Maestro's reading of the score, etc., and overall gives 3 out of 5 stars.

Reading these reviews I think chances are that the 3 stars got a bit of a boost from critics because after all it's the ROH, but it does look like a rather mediocre production, with an Angela who isn't the same singer any longer.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I'm seeing it on 21 July so I'll let you know who's right!
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh wow!

Well, I don't doubt it was bad - this particular show. It's kind of sad to see a formerly gifted singer self-destroy her career and insist on passé roles.

I don't share these people's profound contempt for the opera itself, though. Sure, it's not Puccini's best, but its light Viennese operetta style is not unpleasant and it does have its moments. The multiple endings are a problem, and the wild twist from light comedy to drama doesn't work, but I've seen much worse. I actually do like La Rondine. It has enough in it to make of it a good show when we have good singers and good stage direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, this review is rather clueless. (For those who haven't noticed, if you click on the word Touché you find another review).

Anytime a reviewer refers - twice - to Madama Butterfly with spelling errors (at one point he mentions Madam Butterfly and at another one, Madame Butterfly, LOL), we know that we're facing a novice. This one took poor Marco Armiliato as the culprit and thought the singing was great, while the more experienced reviewers seem to have diagnosed that the poor vocal delivery was the issue that prevented people from hearing the singers above the orchestra.