Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    I can't wait for Anne Midgette's review!
    Here you go! Anne Midgette:

Review: ‘A Night at the Opera’ at the Library of Congress: [clicky]

I have a enormous proposal to finish for 11am Wednesday and then will be on a plane headed to Shanghai in the wee hours of Thursday morning, but if I have any energy reserves left Wednesday afternoon, I'm going to try to stop by the Library of Congress and see this one myself before I head out. Otherwise if you're interested in catching this too, Hoffmann, perhaps I'll catch this exhibition with you sometime after I get back in 3 weeks--the show doesn't end until January 25th.
    Last edited by tyroneslothrop; August 17th, 2013 at 03:12 PM.
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Justice at the Opera: [clicky]
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It appears that Jonas Kaufmann will beat Natalie Dessay to the (non-operatic) silver screen. He portrays Count Branicki -- which appears to be a speaking role -- in a film version of The Giacomo Variations, due for release in 2014. This "musical drama" is based on the life of Casanova, enriched with lots of selections from the Mozart-da Ponte operas. There are two leading roles for opera singers, but the male one (the young Casanova) is written for a baritone, not a tenor.
    The attached photo comes courtesy of Veronica Ferres, who is also involved with this film. (Sorry it's so tiny.)

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. I wonder what will be the result of this effort. The play itself has a reputation for being incredibly bad, and has gathered almost unanimously negative reviews. It's said to lack any sort of cohesion or consistency in its plot, characters, etc. So, there are singing roles, since the play does incorporate several arias from Mozart's operas, but so Mr. Kaufmann will not be one of the singers, but will actually act in a speaking role?
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Interesting. I wonder what will be the result of this effort. The play itself has a reputation for being incredibly bad, and has gathered almost unanimously negative reviews. It's said to lack any sort of cohesion or consistency in its plot, characters, etc. So, there are singing roles, since the play does incorporate several arias from Mozart's operas, but so Mr. Kaufmann will not be one of the singers, but will actually act in a speaking role?
    That's what it looks like to me. Evidently, the much-married Count Branicki and Casanova both have their eyes on a young actress in this work. Since the opera excerpts are only from the Mozart-da Ponte collaborations, I can't imagine what Kaufmann would sing. At this point, his voice seems rather heavy for both Don Ottavio and Ferrando -- to say nothing of Don Basilio! And I rather doubt he'll pull a Domingo and attempt to sing either Figaro or Count Almaviva. I'll be very curious to see the final result when the film is released next year.

Post Thanks / Like
    More on the Giacomo Variations: not only is Jonas Kaufmann in the cast, but so are Christopher Purves (Senator), Kate Lindsey (Belline), Barbara Hannigan (Sofia), Topi Letipuu (Duke), Miah Persson (Elisa II), Florian Boesch (Giacomo II -- the young Casanova), Daniel Schmutzard (Baritone Lover), and Anna Prohaska (Caterina). The role of the young Casanova is definitely intended as a "singing" part, as is that of a mezzo soprano. But I find it hard to believe that all of these other singers will be appearing in what are strictly spoken-word roles. So I'm guessing that Kaufmann WILL be singing, after all -- just not certain what.

And speaking of the Jonas, he'll be heading toward the southern hemisphere a year from now (August, 2014), where he'll be giving a concert with Opera Australia.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    More on the Giacomo Variations: not only is Jonas Kaufmann in the cast, but so are Christopher Purves (Senator), Kate Lindsey (Belline), Barbara Hannigan (Sofia), Topi Letipuu (Duke), Miah Persson (Elisa II), Florian Boesch (Giacomo II -- the young Casanova), Daniel Schmutzard (Baritone Lover), and Anna Prohaska (Caterina). The role of the young Casanova is definitely intended as a "singing" part, as is that of a mezzo soprano. But I find it hard to believe that all of these other singers will be appearing in what are strictly spoken-word roles. So I'm guessing that Kaufmann WILL be singing, after all -- just not certain what.
    Oh wow, this is a very interesting cast; now I'm getting highly interested. Two of my very favorites, Barbara Hannigan and Miah Persson... and the excellent Christopher Purves who was in Written on Skin with Barbara... and of course Mr. JK is great too.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Detlef Roth jumps in for Iain Paterson - Parsifal Prom

Familiar pic?

(someone in the prom queue tweeted)
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a handsome fellow!

Senior Member Involved Member emiellucifuge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was 3rd in the queue for that prom and had sat down with a book. After about two hours a man handed me a spare ticket to a grand tier box!

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by emiellucifuge View Post
    I was 3rd in the queue for that prom and had sat down with a book. After about two hours a man handed me a spare ticket to a grand tier box!

Now that's what you call a result!!! Brilliant!!

How was it?
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Senior Member Involved Member emiellucifuge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely fantastic! The orchestra played in a very calm, controlled, almost spiritual manner and all the soloists were great. A perfectly moving preparation for the ROH production later in the year.

Post Thanks / Like
    According to a little blurb I spotted in a German magazine (not devoted to opera) mentioned that La Bellissima and Erwin Schrott have supposedly split up. She turned up at the Salzburg Festival without him -- which doesn't strike me as so unusual, since he may have had commitments elsewhere -- but the rumors of a split had evidently been circulating before this occurred.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    According to a little blurb I spotted in a German magazine (not devoted to opera) mentioned that La Bellissima and Erwin Schrott have supposedly split up. She turned up at the Salzburg Festival without him -- which doesn't strike me as so unusual, since he may have had commitments elsewhere -- but the rumors of a split had evidently been circulating before this occurred.
    So... you mean... that there is hope?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    So... you mean... that there is hope?
    She's your cousin, remember?!