Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I wrote a grumpy thing on her facebook:
    My mum always said that once you had accepted an invitation you needed to stick to it, even if you got a better offer subsequently. Cancelling one accepted engagement for another is unfair to the people who bought tickets on the strength of your name. I'm not one of them, but I'm not impressed.
    Was Munich truly a better offer than the Met, or was it more a case of Opolais lending a hand to a company in trouble?

I ask this as a serious question, since I really don't know.
    Last edited by Amfortas; November 4th, 2014 at 02:49 PM.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    Was Munich truly a better offer than the Met, or was it more a case of Opolais lending a hand to a company in trouble?

I ask this as a serious question, since I really don't know.
    I suspect a new production with Kaufmann is better than a rerun of Boheme. It still leaves people like Alma in the lurch.

Of course Trebs was very naughty for pulling out too.
    Last edited by Amfortas; November 4th, 2014 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Fixed my typo
    Natalie

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the "We hear that..." section of November edition of Opera magazine;

John Elliot Gardiner will conduct Orphée et Eurydice at Covent Garden with his own chorus and orchestra September 2015 with JDF in the title role.

Name:  JDF.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  24.3 KB

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect a new production with Kaufmann is better than a rerun of Boheme. It still leaves people like Alma in the lurch.

According to the statement issued by the Bavarian State Opera, La Bellissima had "artistic differences" with director Hans Neuenfels -- he of the Bayreuth lab rats Lohengrin. Since she's appeared in some productions that would probably be considered in the Regietheater genre, I wonder what her beef was with Neuenfels -- how he viewed her character or what he wanted her to do.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    No way! La Bellissima is never naughty (well, not in this sense... cough cough); I'm sure she had good reasons!

Now, seriously, Anna is not the "pulling out at the slightest disagreement/obstacle/other plans" type - her professionalism has been heralded by many. Singers have told us in our interviews that at times directors are so outrageous in their demands that their only resource is to vote with their feet, and walk away.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    No way! La Bellissima is never naughty (well, not in this sense... cough cough); I'm sure she had good reasons!

Now, seriously, Anna is not the "pulling out at the slightest disagreement/obstacle/other plans" type - her professionalism has been heralded by many. Singers have told us in our interviews that at times directors are so outrageous in their demands that their only resource is to vote with their feet, and walk away.
    I can't believe she had not asked who the director was when she signed. She'd know he is outrageous.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't believe she had not asked who the director was when she signed. She'd know he is outrageous.
    True. But it's the mark of an outrageous director to be unpredictable from one staging to the next. I'd be curious to know how much she (or any singer) is told about a specific production concept before signing on to it.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    True. But it's the mark of an outrageous director to be unpredictable from one staging to the next. I'd be curious to know how much she (or any singer) is told about a specific production concept before signing on to it.
    Probably not much. In numerous occasions in my interviews, when asking about future productions I collected shrugs and "no clue" replies; then, since this would not sit well in an interview, neither the question nor the reply made it to the final version of the interview so readers wouldn't have noticed how frequently this happens, including with world-famous singers. So probably poor Anna was taken by surprise with unreasonable demands.

No, seriously, I know I'm biased in favor of Anna (well, she *is* very likable) but I do believe that her track record on this is so good that we need to cut her some slack and assume "innocent until proven guilty" because definitely Anna is not the cancelling type. Had Angela Gheorghiu done the same, we'd probably be well advised to place an interrogation mark there, but Anna is considered to be very professional, as evidenced by things like coming on time to rehearsals and spending the full rehearsal schedule with the company in spite of her huge fame (when sometimes other singers with the same status will balk at joining the rehearsals from the very beginning) and not only coming, but working hard to make the production better and to help other singers as much as she can.

Sometimes I chat with singers about other artists we've interviewed - again, these parts often don't make it to the final version since they often prefer to talk about colleagues off the record, but while sometimes when I mention "oh by the way, I've interviewed your colleague [---] who was with you in that production" I collect just a "oh, OK" with no further comments (and I interpret this as "if you don't have something positive to say, then just don't say anything"), very often when the colleague in question is Anna, people go out of their ways to praise her for being committed to the shows, a great colleague, and very helpful to everybody, including being very generous with the younger and less experienced singers, not to mention being a lot of fun to be around. She is also not considered to be difficult, and is not the Diva type. In summary, there is a general feeling that Anna is not only a great singer, but also a very good person, which is exactly what I keep hearing about her from her colleagues.

And then, there is also the fact that she generally shows up and sings all performances she's been hired to sing... exceptions being only those that are due to clear impediment (like her foot surgery, or delivering her son...), so, if Anna walks away from a production due to artistic differences, I'd assume these were pretty serious and radical, and I'd assume that she tried to work it out, to no avail.

Now, we need to have a very detailed review of that production in which Kristine will be singing instead - hopefully one of us will attend it, but if not, please sospiro or someone else, be in the lookout for online reviews so that we can try and understand what Anna balked at. Now I'm curious.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Now, we need to have a very detailed review of that production in which Kristine will be singing instead - hopefully one of us will attend it, but if not, please sospiro or someone else, be in the lookout for online reviews so that we can try and understand what Anna balked at. Now I'm curious.
    Now if *Kristine* walks out, we know there's a problem! She's usually up for *anything*!

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow we had a fish tank at the dentist office nothing like this. By the way you guys are active with knowledge of Conductors? How would these sopranos fair with say Sinopoli ,Levine , or say Toscannini? I just have a feeling that the Anna chick is innocent as she has been around long enough that if she were too pleased with herself by now it would of come out. I never heard of her demanding extra no preservative juices, personal scandals, duct taping rivals etc. After being on this site and listening to her voice all the kidding you guys do about her all on serious notes point to her being high in morals and very devoted to her profession and has top notch voice. As an ameateur I suspect she'd could handle those famous conductors or as they were so smart they d know how to handle her.did this conductor have "Drama with any other Mama?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigli13 View Post
    Wow we had a fish tank at the dentist office nothing like this. By the way you guys are active with knowledge of Conductors? How would these sopranos fair with say Sinopoli ,Levine , or say Toscannini? I just have a feeling that the Anna chick is innocent as she has been around long enough that if she were too pleased with herself by now it would of come out. I never heard of her demanding extra no preservative juices, personal scandals, duct taping rivals etc. After being on this site and listening to her voice all the kidding you guys do about her all on serious notes point to her being high in morals and very devoted to her profession and has top notch voice. As an ameateur I suspect she'd could handle those famous conductors or as they were so smart they d know how to handle her.did this conductor have "Drama with any other Mama?
    It's not the conductor, it's the stage director.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now if *Kristine* walks out, we know there's a problem! She's usually up for *anything*!

True. And have you seen the Traviata where she comes out of her dress and sings in her underwear? Amazingly sexy. It used to be on YouTube but got taken out.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Out of mild curiosity, what opera was this production of?

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rusalka, I think. I also seem to recall reading in one of my German opera magazines that singers usually do not know who the stage director will be when they agree to sing a role -- and singers on the level of Anna Netrebko often have to commit to a part five or more years in advance. Opolais, of course, sang Manon Lescaut with Kaufmann earlier this year at the ROH, and that production certainly had its share of naughty moments.

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I understand now that makes it more interesting. Did anyone else ever quit because of the stage director? Could the president of the opera house overrule the stage director? Where is the Rudulph Bing person when you need him to work out a compromise?