Thread: Et tu, Plácido?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Et tu, Plácido?

Breaking news, Plácido Domingo has been accused of sexual harassment by 8 female singers and one ballerina.

Oh my!

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-49334226

The Associated Press article is way more complete, and is the source of the issue:

https://www.apnews.com/c2d51d690d004992b8cfba3bad827ae9
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); August 13th, 2019 at 11:48 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of hours ago, San Francisco Opera joined the Philadelphia Orchestra in cancelling a scheduled performance by Plácido Domingo. This San Fran appearance was meant to celebrate Domingo's 50 years singing for the company.

The Met is saying they will wait for the results of LA Opera's investigation before making decisions about Plácido's future performances with the company.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is such disheartening news, especially since he doesn't really deny his behavior -- only says he didn't intend to hurt anyone. I feel so sorry for all of the women he victimized, and sorry for his poor wife, who must feel humiliated as well as betrayed. We'll see what the LA Opera's investigators find, but I suspect there's likely to be more fallout from the AP report, which certainly seems very thorough.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dismissed it at first but then I read the AP report. I feel very sorry for the victims and that includes his wife. A sad way to end such a long and brilliant career.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Junior Member Newcomer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Domingo's ambitions to be a baritone reach further into the past than we thought, as it seems he was playing Don Giovanni already in the 80's.

WOAH WOAH

Six other women also claim the tenor made them feel uncomfortable by making "sexual overtures" towards them, AP reported.
    Tenor, baritone, conductor. Composer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlySpermwhale View Post
    Domingo's ambitions to be a baritone reach further into the past than we thought, as it seems he was playing Don Giovanni already in the 80's.

WOAH WOAH

Tenor, baritone, conductor. Composer.
    Hey, buddy! Nice to see you posting!

Junior Member Newcomer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ikr? But it's not easy to type with huge fins overgrown with algae.

Post Thanks / Like
    Latest development in the sexual harassment allegations against Plácido Domingo:
    https://www.npr.org/2019/09/24/76401...uct-allegation

9. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A UK newspaper's article on the subject.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...omingo-perform

(Vittorio Grigolo has been suspended by the ROH)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49809699
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

11. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if Grigolo is scheduled to appear at the Met this season. The Guardian's writer is correct; this is an issue that opera house managers can't ignore in the hope that it will all somehow go away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    I wonder if Grigolo is scheduled to appear at the Met this season. The Guardian's writer is correct; this is an issue that opera house managers can't ignore in the hope that it will all somehow go away.
    Indeed.

It looks like the managers' decisions are based on whether or not it's affecting audience numbers rather than the victims' feelings.

Domingo the cash cow.

https://jezebel.com/placido-domingo-...era-1838412875

14. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Met has now suspended Grigolo pending the outcome of the ROH investigation.
    https://operawire.com/metropolitan-o...torio-grigolo/

16. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    And another . . .
    While reading reviews in the September-October issue of Opernwelt, I came upon information that the Gleichbehandlungskommission – Equal Treatment Commission – in Innsbruck had confirmed allegations of sexual harassment at the Tirolean Festival in Erl, Austria. More specifics are contained in this (English language) news article:
    https://www.thelocal.at/20180726/aus...assment-claims
    Although the reviewer notes that this decision (still) has no legal effect, in any case Kuhn is no longer in charge of the Festival. This year’s event was in the hands of acting Intendant Andreas Leisner (Kuhn’s former assistant), while the new Intendant, Bernd Loebe, will officially take over with the Winter Festival.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post

(Vittorio Grigolo has been suspended by the ROH)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49809699
    What a terrible picture the article picked for Mr. Grigolo, who is actually a quite handsome fellow, but looks anything but, in this picture. I wonder if it was done on purpose, LOL.

Anyway, I was thinking... I've interviewed most big names in the international business of opera, to the point that I've almost entirely stopped this activity with the "been there, done that" feeling - still several interviews I did in Europe in 2018 were never transcribed; I've been jaded and tired of this....

Part of the reason why I almost completely stopped, is that I ran out of people I'd really like to interview... Jonas Kaufmann was one of the few left, but we got him in 2018.

So, at one point I was thinking of the people I never interviewed...

And I thought, James Levine and Plácido Domingo are two that at the time I'd say I'd have loved to interview but never had an opportunity... Vittorio Grigolo when he took the opera world by storm, was another one who spiked my interest but I never had the chance...

And now I'm thinking, whoa! Maybe it was for the best! These three are precisely the three who have been accused of sexual harassment and other wrongdoings! Sure, innocent until proven guilty and all, but now I'm kind of glad that I never got to these three, given that I find this kind of behavior, quite repulsive!

----------

Incidentally, there are also only a few female singers left that I'd still love to interview: Renée Fleming, Waltraud Meyer, Nina Stemme, Aida Garifullina, and Patricia Petibon are the ones I can think of, right now... and again, never had an opportunity. Hey, ladies, don't disappoint me! If the curse continues, I'd not be surprised if these few singers Opera Lively never got to interview, started some sort of scandal!

(Just kidding. I'm quite sure that whether or not we've interviewed these people, is not the determining factor here, LOL)
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); October 12th, 2019 at 12:05 PM.

19. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope that Domingo will be remembered for his glorious tenor years and not just for his not-so-glorious baritone years and for this scandal.

21. Likes MAuer liked this post