Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2020/2021 Season

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Bavarian State Opera

Probably the biggest news is the Tristan und Isolde with Munich's "dream team" of Kaufmann and Harteros.

https://operawire.com/jonas-kaufmann...020-21-season/
    Some on another site are concerned if this pair is up to it. I don't know enough about it, but these two have a wonderful Lohengrin on DVD.
    "Music is enought for a whole lifetime--but a lifetime is not enough for music." --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can only go with what I heard on the radio broadcast of the second act of Tristan und Isolde with JK, Camilla Nylund, and the Boston Symphony a few years ago, and he seemed to be up to the task. Of course, it was only one act -- he was supposed to sing the very taxing third act with the BSO and Martina Serafin next month, but the pandemic has scrapped that. Isolde has been successfully sung by lyric-dramatic sopranos in the past, and Harteros is a smart lady -- I don't think she'd take on a role if she didn't feel it was right for her voice.

Anyway, hope things work out and we can look forward to a video release at some point.

3. Thanks Florestan thanked for this post
    Likes Florestan, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyway, hope things work out and we can look forward to a video release at some point.
    That would be wonderful! I hope so too.
    "Music is enought for a whole lifetime--but a lifetime is not enough for music." --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can only go with what I heard on the radio broadcast of the second act of Tristan und Isolde with JK, Camilla Nylund, and the Boston Symphony a few years ago, and he seemed to be up to the task. Of course, it was only one act -- he was supposed to sing the very taxing third act with the BSO and Martina Serafin next month, but the pandemic has scrapped that. Isolde has been successfully sung by lyric-dramatic sopranos in the past, and Harteros is a smart lady -- I don't think she'd take on a role if she didn't feel it was right for her voice.

I'm not so sure - JK likely would do fine, I don't think he would take on a role he would be uncomfortable or concerned about.

On the other hand, I saw Anja Harteros sing Elsa in Lohengrin at the Deutsche Oper several years ago (w Klaus Florian Vogt's Lohengrin and Waltraud Meier's Ortrud). Harteros is something of a legend, and I had looked forward to seeing her sing - however, she may have had an off night, but her performance was hardly effortless. Judging by that evening, I'm not sure that Isolde would be a slam dunk for her at this point....

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm concerned and wondering if an unanticipated fallout from the pandemic will further hurt audience - and performer - attendance at all kinds of live events - Outdoor events included: no golf, tennis or baseball are in the immediate forecast so far for this season; even the Olympics have been postponed until 2021. I heard on the news this morning that we will be lucky if baseball is able to resume by sometime in July.

The one thing that would change everything, of course, would be a vaccine, but I'm not sure we can count on that anytime soon.

As eager as I am to see live performances, I'm not sure I would enter a packed opera house with anything less than trepidation.

So, I'm thinking the current situation will have a significant effect, also, on artists willing to perform on stages crowded with choruses and extras in crowded theaters, much less in rehearsals way in advance. I hate to be such a pessimist, but think there are likely to be far-reaching unintended consequences from this nightmare pandemic.

7. Thanks Ann Lander (sospiro) thanked for this post
    Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    I'm concerned and wondering if an unanticipated fallout from the pandemic will further hurt audience - and performer - attendance at all kinds of live events - Outdoor events included: no golf, tennis or baseball are in the immediate forecast so far for this season; even the Olympics have been postponed until 2021. I heard on the news this morning that we will be lucky if baseball is able to resume by sometime in July.

The one thing that would change everything, of course, would be a vaccine, but I'm not sure we can count on that anytime soon.

As eager as I am to see live performances, I'm not sure I would enter a packed opera house with anything less than trepidation.

So, I'm thinking the current situation will have a significant effect, also, on artists willing to perform on stages crowded with choruses and extras in crowded theaters, much less in rehearsals way in advance. I hate to be such a pessimist, but think there are likely to be far-reaching unintended consequences from this nightmare pandemic.
    I feel the same.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Post Thanks / Like
    The latest e-mailing to subscribers from the Cincinnati Opera indicated that plans are still for the summer season to open in mid-June as planned . . . but I also noticed some hedging around this statement. Ohio officials anticipate the state's coronavirus cases to peak around mid-May, but who knows? I, too, would be uneasy entering a building with 2,000+ people present. I'd hoped to attend concerts by Nicole Cabell and Pene Pati this month and in May at Memorial Hall, but those have obviously been cancelled.
    The effect on sports events certainly has been strange. Some Kentucky Derby prep races have been run with the race track closed to the public, and the Derby itself has been pushed back from the first Saturday in May to the first Saturday in September. Even then, I have to wonder if that's wishful thinking.

10. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bayreuther Festspiele 2020 cancelled. No choice really and I expect Salzburg will be cancelled too.

https://www.bayreuther-festspiele.de/en/
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

12. Likes MAuer, Adrian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

14. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    An interesting season. Hope it goes ahead.

16. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Bayreuther Festspiele 2020 cancelled. No choice really and I expect Salzburg will be cancelled too.

https://www.bayreuther-festspiele.de/en/
    You beat me again

18. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

20. Likes Adrian liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope all is well when this season starts, looks fabulous.

Post Thanks / Like
    The April issue of Das Opernglas has some details of the 2020-2021 season at the Opéra national de Paris, but (as usual) I’ve been unable to locate any more information on the company’s web site. So here’s what’s known at this point:

NEW PRODUCTIONS

- Maria Abramović: The Seven Deaths of Maria Callas (Palais Garnier)
    This is a co-production with the Bavarian State Opera, Deutsche Oper Berlin, Maggio Musicale Fiorentino, and Greek National Opera. It’s a sort of pastiche with excerpts from operas by Bellini, Bizet, Donizetti, Verdi, and Puccini
    Conductor: Yoel Gamzou
    Cast: Nadezhda Karyagina, Whitney Morrison, Leah Hawkins, Adela Zaharia, Selene Zanetti, Gabriella Reyes, Hera Hyesang Park
    2, 3, 4, 5 September 2020

- Wagner: Der Ring des Nibelungen
    Conductor: Philippe Jordan
    Director: Calixto Bieito
    Siegfried
    Cast: Andreas Schager, Martina Serafin, Iain Paterson, Gerhard Siegel, Ulrike Lehmkuhl, Jochen Schmeckenbecher, Dimitry Ivaschenko
    10, 14, 18 October 2020
    Götterdämmerung
    Cast: Ricarda Merbeth, Andreas Schager, Anna Gabler, Johannes Martin Kränzle, Ain Anger, Sarah Connolly, Jochen Schmeckenbecher
    13, 17, 21 November 2020
    Two complete Ring cycles will follow on 23, 24, 26, and 28 November 2020 and 30 November, 2, 4, and 6 December 2020
    Cast in Das Rheingold includes Paterson, Schmeckenbecher, Gubanova, Siegel, Schwinghammer, Ivashchenko, Gabler, Lehmkuhl, and Ernst.
    Cast in Die Walküre includes Serafin/Merbeth, Westbroek, J. Kaufmann, Paterson, Gubanova, and Relyea.
    Casts in Siegfried and Götterdämmerung are the same, with Serafin and Merbeth sharing the role of Brünnhilde.

- Verdi: Aida
    Conductor: Michele Mariotti
    Director: Lotte de Beer
    Cast: Radvanovsky/Stikhina/Rowley, Garanča/Dudnikova, J. Kaufmann/Pretti, Tézier/Sgura, Howard, Belosselskiy
    12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27 February; 2, 6, 10, 13, 17, 20, 24, 27 March 2021

- Gounod: Faust
    Conductor: Marcello Viotti
    Director: Tobias Kratzer
    Cast: Bernheim/Costello, Jaho/Hartig, Abdrazakov/Relyea
    16, 19, 22, 25, 28 March; 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 21 April 2021

- Janaćek: Jenůfa (Palais Garnier)
    Conductor: Oksana Lyniv
    Director: Krzysztof Warlikowski
    Cast: Grigorian, Mattila, Ĉernoch, de Barbeyrac, Zaremba
    9, 12, 15, 18, 20, 25, 27, 30 April 2021

- Tchaikovsky: Pique Dame (Palais Garner)
    Conductor: Daniel Barenboim/Oksana Lyniv
    Director: Dmitri Tcherniakov
    Cast: Grigorian, Jovanovich, Lundgren, Urmana, Dupuis
    25, 28, 31 May; 3, 6, 9, 12 June 2021

- Marc-André Dalbavie: La Soulier de Satin
    Conductor: Marc-André Dalbavie
    Director: Stanislas Nordey
    Cast: Hubeaux, Cavallier, Uria-Monzon, Cencic, Beuron, Pisaroni, Bow, Labonnette
    29 May; 5, 13, 19, 26 June 2021

REPERTOIRE PRODUCTIONS

- Donizetti: L’elisir d’amore
    Cast includes Sir Bryn Terfel as Dulcamara
    8, 11, 13, 16, 19, 22, 25, 28 September; 1, 4 October 2020

- Bizet: Carmen
    Cast: Margaine/ Garanča/Abrahamyan, Grigolo/Castronovo, Sierra, Naforniţã, Plachetka/Meachem
    12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 30 September; 3, 6, 9, 17 20, 23 October; 16, 18, 22, 25,, 28, 31 December 2020

- Gluck: Iphigénie en Tauride (Palais Garnier)
    Cast includes Joyce Di Donato in the title role.
    17, 20, 26, 29 September; 2, 8, 11, 13 October 2020

- Rimsky-Korsakov: The Snow Maiden
    Cast includes Aida Garifullina in the title role.
    22, 26 October; 1, 4, 7, 10 November 2020

- Verdi: La Traviata (Palais Garnier)
    Cast: Marková, Antoun, Mattei
    24, 27 November; 1, 3, 7, 10, 14, 17, 20, 23 December 2020

- Mozart: Die Zauberflöte
    Cast: Devieilhe/Minasyan, Fuchs/Karg, Dubois/de Barbeyrac, Esposito/Sampey, Testé
    12, 14, 17, 19, 22, 25, 29, 31 January; 3, 6, 11, 13, 16, 19, 22 February 2021

- Verdi: Il Trovatore
    Cast: Jagde/Eyvazov, Stoyanova/Rebeka, Salsi/Ruciński, Barcellona
    21, 24, 27, 30 January; 2, 7, 10, 14, 17, 20, 23, 26 February; 3 March 2021

- R. Strauss: Capriccio (Palais Garnier)
    Cast: Damrau, Gubanova, Breslik, Keenlyside, Groissböck
    26, 30 January; 2, 5, 9, 12, 17, 21 February 2021

- Puccini: Tosca
    Cast: Kurzak/Agresta, Alagna/Fabiano, Lučić/Tézier
    6, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, 25, 28 May; 4, 8, 11, 14, 18, 22, 25 June 2021

23. Thanks Ann Lander (sospiro) thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

25. Thanks Ann Lander (sospiro) thanked for this post
    Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast