Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How is Everyone Doing (lets chat while weathering Corona)

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's confirmed! Fresh cow dung can stop corona!

Dip both your hands in fresh cow dung before going out. This will ensure that:

• You will not touch your eyes, nose or mouth
    • Nobody will shake hands with you
    • Nobody will come near you outside
    • You will wash your hands thoroughly before you eat

"Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

2. Likes Nemorino, Adrian, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    It's confirmed! Fresh cow dung can stop corona!

Dip both your hands in fresh cow dung before going out. This will ensure that:

• You will not touch your eyes, nose or mouth
    • Nobody will shake hands with you
    • Nobody will come near you outside
    • You will wash your hands thoroughly before you eat

"Music is enought for a whole lifetime--but a lifetime is not enough for music." --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

4. Likes Nemorino, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's all feeling so unreal, only allowed grocery store and chemist for my medicine, even my doctors calling instead of visiting.
    But I do go out in the morning for a early walk, I say sue me if necessary .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    It's all feeling so unreal, only allowed grocery store and chemist for my medicine, even my doctors calling instead of visiting.
    But I do go out in the morning for a early walk, I say sue me if necessary .
    Here in Michigan we can go out and take walks, just not gather. They had to break up a party at a local park:
    https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/pol...its-rouge-park
    "Music is enought for a whole lifetime--but a lifetime is not enough for music." --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

7. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Adrian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This morning I was listing a radio program, there was man who followed what happens around the world. He named some countries then he came to The Falklands, the UK Did not want help from Argentina, they did it them self. So they had to send helpers and goods around the world instead of accepting a helping hand, this is not bashing the U.K but I think it's ridiculous.

Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is everyone still doing ok. Given it has been a fortnight since this thread it does cause some worry. I'm doing a ok. Is everyone else still doing alright?
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

10. Likes Florestan, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have become more or less accustomed to the situation so it is not as weird as it first was, but the real concern is where do we go from here? Surely this thing is not going away any time soon. Will people be wearing masks for the next couple of years? I hope not because I saw some horrible goofy, macabre, and other mask designs that I don't think I would enjoy seeing people wearing all the time.

I am able to get a pretty good load of groceries with online order and curbside pickup. There are a lot of out-of-stock items each time, but the only one that seems to be continuously out of stock is toilet paper! Good thing we had two 18 packs and a few loose rolls when this started.

12. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    Is everyone still doing ok. Given it has been a fortnight since this thread it does cause some worry. I'm doing a ok. Is everyone else still doing alright?
    Pleased to hear you're doing OK Povero Buoso.

I was listening to a mental health professor last night and she said that most of us will be suffering a type of PTSD and that mood swings and anxiety is to be expected. I've not an expert but I do know that some days I'm fine and other days not so.

Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    I have become more or less accustomed to the situation so it is not as weird as it first was, but the real concern is where do we go from here? Surely this thing is not going away any time soon. Will people be wearing masks for the next couple of years? I hope not because I saw some horrible goofy, macabre, and other mask designs that I don't think I would enjoy seeing people wearing all the time.

I am able to get a pretty good load of groceries with online order and curbside pickup. There are a lot of out-of-stock items each time, but the only one that seems to be continuously out of stock is toilet paper! Good thing we had two 18 packs and a few loose rolls when this started.
    That's good that you were able to get most of the provisions you needed Florestan. I can get most things now, apart from hand sanitiser gel. There's still a shortage and I'm not paying hugely inflated prices to buy online.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Post Thanks / Like
    Next week we expect that the government shutting down all "festivals" classic, pop, soccer etc till September.
    A big grocery store have made a shopping hour for 70+ so I go early, now the younger are coming , I ask the manager about it, "We can not refuse customers due according by the law.
    So far for "older people"
    Keep safe everyone.

15. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Pleased to hear you're doing OK Povero Buoso.

I was listening to a mental health professor last night and she said that most of us will be suffering a type of PTSD and that mood swings and anxiety is to be expected. I've not an expert but I do know that some days I'm fine and other days not so.

That's good that you were able to get most of the provisions you needed Florestan. I can get most things now, apart from hand sanitiser gel. There's still a shortage and I'm not paying hugely inflated prices to buy online.
    My daughter does has done counselling of suicidal people and is studying for certification. She said that "social distancing" is a bad term in regard to those who have suicidal tendencies and that something else like "physical distancing" would be much better. Not sure I understand, but then I have never felt suicidal so....

I have not tried to buy hand sanitizer or most cleaning products as we have enough at this time. I did look for my favorite hand dish soap, Seventh Generation free and clear, and it was going for around $10 shipped but I managed to get it from my grocery online order for $3.50. Glad the grocery stores are not inflating prices.

It does seem like we have settled into a routine here whereas in the beginning there was the thought of what if food becomes scarce because the workers all get sick. Looks like that is not going to happen here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    My daughter does has done counselling of suicidal people and is studying for certification. She said that "social distancing" is a bad term in regard to those who have suicidal tendencies and that something else like "physical distancing" would be much better. Not sure I understand, but then I have never felt suicidal so....

I have not tried to buy hand sanitizer or most cleaning products as we have enough at this time. I did look for my favorite hand dish soap, Seventh Generation free and clear, and it was going for around $10 shipped but I managed to get it from my grocery online order for $3.50. Glad the grocery stores are not inflating prices.

It does seem like we have settled into a routine here whereas in the beginning there was the thought of what if food becomes scarce because the workers all get sick. Looks like that is not going to happen here.
    Things have calmed down here as well and there doesn't seem to be any panic buying or stockpiling. Still no hand sanitiser but I think the manufacturers are concentrating on supplying hospitals, care homes and emergency services and supermarkets are at the back of the queue.

To amuse (or could that be terrify?) myself I bought the box set of this BBC series. So prophetic, it's scary!

Survivors is a British post-apocalyptic fiction drama television series created by Terry Nation and produced by Terence Dudley at the BBC, that broadcast from 1975 to 1977. It concerns the plight of a group of people who have survived an apocalyptic plague pandemic, which was accidentally released by a Chinese scientist and quickly spread across the world via air travel. Referred to as "The Death", the plague kills approximately 4,999 out of every 5,000 human beings on the planet within a matter of weeks of being released.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surviv...975_TV_series)

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Not sure to like above post, but it sure is fascinating.

19. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was a big protest in our capitol city a couple weeks ago regarding all the businesses shut down over Corona virus. The governor just extended the stay at home order to May 15th. You can see below from the list of allowed items that the previous restrictions were overbearing, and all this time the liquor stores remain open (essential services I guess, but I think they get around it because they sell snack foods so can categorize broadly under grocery).

What's allowed under Michigan stay home order

Boating.
    Golfing, but without golf carts. [yep, golfing was shut down]
    Lawn cutting services, landscapers and gardening services can operate. [this was shut down, and I enjoyed no chemical lawn services in the neighborhood]
    Plant nurseries can reopen, with social distancing enforced.
    Bike shops, with social distancing enforced.
    Shopping, with face masks required in enclosed public spaces. No fines will be issued to those who do not adhere to the face-covering restriction, but businesses can refuse service.
    Large stores can reopen garden and home improvement sections. [small hardware stores could still sell this stuff]
    Nonessential retailers that had been closed can now reopen to offer curbside pickup or delivery.
    Travel between residences, including outside the state and moving into a new home. People can travel to vacation homes, but are discouraged from doing so.
    Outdoor activities like running, hiking or cycling as long as social distancing guidelines are followed. [don't think this was ever restricted before]
    Care for a family member, dependents, persons with disabilities, the elderly or a family member's pet in another household.
    Pick up nonessential supplies using curbside pickup from a store that is otherwise closed.
    Pick up or return a motor vehicle that needed repairs or maintenance check [surely this was always allowed]
    Attend funerals, with no more than 10 people in attendance. [think this was previously allowed]
    Attend an addiction recovery meeting, provided no more than 10 people are in attendance. [hopefully this was not ever shut down]
    Volunteer or work for an organization that is providing food or other essentials to those who are economically disadvantaged.[this was never shut down either]
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ns/3019223001/

Still can't get a haircut though!
    What's not allowed under Michigan stay home order

Dine-in service at bars and restaurants
    Operation of hair salons, tattoo parlors, and other nonessential services.
    Nonessential health procedures, including veterinary operations or checkups for pets.
    Renting a vacation property, except to provide housing for a health care professionals or volunteer contributing to COVID-19 efforts.

21. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello checking in - in New Zealand we are in our first week of Level 3 Lockdown after 5 weeks of level 4 lockdown. Having the alert levels makes it much easier to work out what you are and aren't allowed to do. Cases currently are in single figures, but it will be interesting to see what happens now that takeaways and more workplaces are open, some people are acting like idiots. My histopathologist husband has set up his microscope upstairs and can be heard muttering about "Basal cell carcinomas" occasionally. Occasionally I get invited in to view sections of mole or uterus. Meanwhile I am trying to teach all my classes online which is a challenge with lower level refugees who are not tech-savvy. Have to get their kids involved. But it's been a fantastic learning opportunity for me. I have quite enjoyed not commuting and my daughter and I are being very good about going for our walks every night (to avoid others)
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Hello checking in - in New Zealand we are in our first week of Level 3 Lockdown after 5 weeks of level 4 lockdown. Having the alert levels makes it much easier to work out what you are and aren't allowed to do. Cases currently are in single figures, but it will be interesting to see what happens now that takeaways and more workplaces are open, some people are acting like idiots. My histopathologist husband has set up his microscope upstairs and can be heard muttering about "Basal cell carcinomas" occasionally. Occasionally I get invited in to view sections of mole or uterus. Meanwhile I am trying to teach all my classes online which is a challenge with lower level refugees who are not tech-savvy. Have to get their kids involved. But it's been a fantastic learning opportunity for me. I have quite enjoyed not commuting and my daughter and I are being very good about going for our walks every night (to avoid others)
    The way that the government and the people of New Zealand has dealt with this is an example to the world.

I'm finding people who wouldn't normally walk for exercise are being drawn to the local beauty spots and these tend to get crowded so I take my exercise around the town centre. What used to be the main street is now a wide pedestrianised area and is mostly deserted so I do a few laps until I get fed up! Hardly scenic but it gets the job done.

24. Likes Florestan liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast