Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How is Everyone Doing (lets chat while weathering Corona)

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    The way that the government and the people of New Zealand has dealt with this is an example to the world.

I'm finding people who wouldn't normally walk for exercise are being drawn to the local beauty spots and these tend to get crowded so I take my exercise around the town centre. What used to be the main street is now a wide pedestrianised area and is mostly deserted so I do a few laps until I get fed up! Hardly scenic but it gets the job done.
    We originally were on a teddy treasure hunt when we walked during the day but now we look for friendly cats (which we don't touch but chat to) I enjoy our evening walks. I find it's a good way to catch up and see how she is getting on with her online learning (missing friends, harder to ask teachers questions and clarify understanding, and harder to get motivated. Auckland currently has a drought so we have been rain-free every night but the garden looks very sad although we are still getting a good crop of quinces, guavas and small limes.
    Natalie

2. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    The way that the government and the people of New Zealand has dealt with this is an example to the world.
    While we in the United States are... a counter-example to the world.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is not really a COVID event, but it relates strongly (double meaning there) because we are limited on where we can go so must spend a lot of time in our house, especially this week which is in the 40s with a low tonight going into the 20s (F). So, My dog took a skunk spray at midnight. First time experience for her and me. I don't think she got a full hit even though she was within a foot or two of it. Being in the 40s and dark outside, I took her in the basement shower and she washed up really good with dog shampoo and smells fine, but just bringing her through the house to the basement bathroom, left a residual odor that I think might take a few days to get out--and that the furnace did a good job of distributing evenly throughout the house! Unfortunately it had me a bit out of sync for sleep, I finally drifted off by 330 am!
    "Music is enought for a whole lifetime--but a lifetime is not enough for music." --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

5. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, is skunk really as horrible as people say?
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Wow, is skunk really as horrible as people say?
    The smell is caused by a substance called mercaptan, a combination of sulfur-based compounds (thiols), which experienced up close [like getting sprayed in the face] is like getting a face full of tear gas and can cause temporary blindness and vomiting.

I did not know the dog got sprayed, but in my panic ran around to the front of the house and because she was not on the walking leash (so potentially could get loose) I went in the front door. That is when I smelled it. The stench was powerful and if you smelled her fur close up it was very nasty. Even after the bath, she smells good but a close up will reveal a little of the skunk smell, especially inside her ears where I didn't wash.

But we regularly get skunk smell in the air outside during the summer when you like to have the windows open, so when it comes we quickly close the windows and reopen them maybe a half hour later. But it is nowhere near like when I brought the dog in with it. House is pretty well cleared, but for a faint odor. Last nights baked vegetables had onion which really permeated the house and helped cover the remnant skunk odor.
    "Music is enought for a whole lifetime--but a lifetime is not enough for music." --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    The smell is caused by a substance called mercaptan, a combination of sulfur-based compounds (thiols), which experienced up close [like getting sprayed in the face] is like getting a face full of tear gas and can cause temporary blindness and vomiting.

I did not know the dog got sprayed, but in my panic ran around to the front of the house and because she was not on the walking leash (so potentially could get loose) I went in the front door. That is when I smelled it. The stench was powerful and if you smelled her fur close up it was very nasty. Even after the bath, she smells good but a close up will reveal a little of the skunk smell, especially inside her ears where I didn't wash.

But we regularly get skunk smell in the air outside during the summer when you like to have the windows open, so when it comes we quickly close the windows and reopen them maybe a half hour later. But it is nowhere near like when I brought the dog in with it. House is pretty well cleared, but for a faint odor. Last nights baked vegetables had onion which really permeated the house and helped cover the remnant skunk odor.
    I'm pleased you were able to get rid of most of the smell but I never realised it was so bad.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

9. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post

The answer: Lots of spaghetti aglio olio peperoncino. The garlic will come out of every pore and you can't smell anything else. I'm very glad I'm only teaching online at the moment or all my students would pass out.
    Natalie

11. Likes Florestan, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gave Cooke another bath today, the dog shampoo fragrance wore off and she had become a bit stinky.

Few years old photo but Photobucket doesn't like me anymore

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3