Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Opera in the times of COVID

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    What will it be like at a performance if the performers are singing through face masks?

It's all so depressing
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't imagine how they could properly breathe if they're singing with masks on.

Meanwhile, I'm reading articles in the latest issues of Opernwelt and Das Opernglas in which the impact of the COVID-19 closings on freelance singers and independent ensembles -- i.e., those individuals who don't belong to the permanent ensemble of state - or city-supported theaters -- is discussed. A good deal of it has to do with German and Austrian law governing self-employed persons and organizations receiving public subsidies. Rather complicated, but I get the impression that "holes" in those laws which have little or no impact during "normal" times are now causing some major headaches. There is also the matter of the economic impact the cancellations of major festivals will have on the cities where those festivals are held.

3. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally, some encouraging news for opera on the COVID-19 front: the Vienna State Opera and Royal Opera House will be reopening this month, though audiences will be limited to 100 persons at a performance, and the duration of performances will be strictly limited. The Bavarian State Opera apparently has already reopened under similar conditions. These will also be concerts, not opera productions of any sort.

https://www.classicfm.com/music-news...ience-members/

https://operawire.com/gerald-finley-...ening-concert/

Back in this neck of the woods, Ohio's governor has announced that many indoor public entertainment venues will be allowed to reopen on 10 June if they can meet all of the safety requirements for preventing the spread of COVID-19. Cinemas are included, but theaters are not.

5. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    We talked about ways of giving back to furloughed musicians months ago, and in case you hadn't seen it and are interested - The Met Orchestra musicians have a relief fund set up.

7. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This article/review really struck home and has given me hope.

https://bachtrack.com/feature-opera-...down-june-2020
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

9. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem with the socially distanced theaters is that the model isn't very sustainable. Given how much an opera production costs, selling tickets to 100 people won't really match the costs. Not to forget, a cast and crew would have to quarantine in place for 14 days and be exhaustively tested and likely remain sequestered for the duration of the run, because singing out loud is much more likely to spread the virus if someone is infected.

If we don't get an effective vaccine, opera will be in big trouble. Both the singers and instrumentalists will be unsafe on the stage and pit, and the audience is made of a lot of senior citizens who are susceptible to the virus. At this point I wouldn't have the guts to attend a performance even in the social distancing model.

Opera is a very expensive art form and even with the full audiences companies already had trouble making ends meet. With one tenth of the audience...

And the global economic crisis will hit governmental grants as well.

I'm not optimistic at all... sorry.

Anyway, maybe I'm gloomy because the virus is so out of control in the USA. Maybe for you guys in Europe and New Zealand things don't look as bleak.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

11. Likes MAuer, Nemorino liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The local organization Matinée Musicale is trying to reschedule concerts for later this year and into next year, at least according to an ad in the latest issue of Cincinnati Magazine. As things stand right now, I doubt Pene Pati's concert on 8 August is going to happen; I have more hope for Nicole Cabell's program on 31 January 2021. Don't know yet about Ryan Speedo Green's concert on 22 November. If there is a vaccine for COVID-19 by then (and I've been vaccinated, of course), I might consider it. Still, that little theater at Memorial Hall is not exactly roomy.
    On a brighter note, a short letter from the Cincinnati Opera indicated that the company exceeded its contribution goals for the Artists Relief Fund, and has been able to help nearly 400 individuals.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2