Page 276 of 568 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 LastLast
Results 4,126 to 4,140 of 8512

Thread: What opera have you been listening to, lately?

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #4126
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,520
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pergolesi: L'Olimpiade
    Raffaella Milanesi (Aristea), Ann-Beth Solvang (Argene), Olga Pasichnyk (Megacle), Jennifer Rivera (Licida), Martin Oro (Alcandro), Jeffrey Francis (Clistene), Markus Brutscher (Aminta)
    Academia Montis Regalis, Alessandro de Marchi
    Recorded live August 2010 Innsbruck Festival of Early Music

    Name:  Olimpiade - Alessandro de Marchi 2010 Innsbruck Festival,Raffaella Milanesi, Ann-Beth Solvang, O.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  94.0 KB

    One of many operas set to Metastasio's libretto for Caldara, this is a great interpretation with many very good numbers. I can not help smiling every time I put this CD on. I love it.

  2. #4127
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,879
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rossini: L'Italiana in Algeri
    Critical edition by Fondazione Rossini, edited by Azio Corghi.
    Marianna Pizzolato (Isabella), Lorenzo Regazzo (Mustafa), Ruth Gonzalez (Elvira), Elsa Giannoulidou (Zulma), Giulio Mastrototaro (Haly), Lawrence Brownlee (Lindoro), Bruno De Simone (Taddeo) & Gianni Fabbrini (harpsichord continuo)
    Virtuosi Brunensis & Transylvania State Philharmonic Choir, Cluj, Alberto Zedda

    I've never really enjoyed L'Italiana that much in the visual productions I've seen - directors often seem to milk the comedy in a rather heavy handed way. The audio version had me laughing and smiling - and this is a well-sung live recording with a top cast, currently available at a bargain price from Presto.





    In the car, some lovely Mozart:

    Mozart: La clemenza di Tito, K621
    Mark Padmore (Tito), Alexandrina Pendatchanska (Vitellia), Bernarda Fink (Sesto), Marie-Claude Chappuis (Annio), Sunhae Im (Servilia) & Sergio Foresti (Publio)
    RIAS Kammerchor & Freiburger Barockorchester, René Jacobs

    Natalie

  3. #4128
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,520
    Post Thanks / Like
    Monteverdi: Il ritorno d'Ulisse in patria
    Fernando Guimarães (Ulisse), Jennifer Rivera (Penelope), Aaron Sheehan (Telemaco), Leah Wool (Minerva), Owen McIntosh (Giove), Abigail Nims (Melanto), Daniel Auchincloss (Eumaeus), Sonja DuToit Tengblad (Juno), Ulysses Thomas (Antinous) & Marc Molomot (Irus)
    Boston Baroque, Martin Pearlman
    Recorded April 2014, Mechanics Hall, Worcester Massachusetts

    Name:  Il Ritorno D'Ulisse in Patria - Martin Pearlman, Boston Baroque 2014.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  33.2 KB

    Of the surviving Monteverdi operas, this one has perhaps the most different interpretations. This is explained by Martin Pearlman in the accompanying booklet by the fact that we have less documentation. The only surviving manuscript is a copy probably made after the death of Monteverdi and it is incomplete; even the instrumentation is not recorded. He explains most of the opera is on just two staves: vocal line plus instrumental bass. There is very little orchestral accompaniment, in total about fifteen minutes of the opera. This is where mainly the variation in interpretation arises. How much orchestration?
    This is Martin Pearlmans version where he says he looks to take a balance between the no orchestration of the original score and some of the more fully orchestrated versions.
    Certainly it sounds fresher but this I put down mostly to the beautiful voice of Rivera which is an intelligent and beautiful Penelope and a well partnered Guimarães as Ulisse. The orchestration doesn't sound all that dramatically different but there is subtlety and delicacy perhaps, which I think I will need to hear more than once to appreciate better. I am looking forward to getting to know this version better.

  4. #4129
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,233
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Monteverdi: Il ritorno d'Ulisse in patria
    Fernando Guimarães (Ulisse), Jennifer Rivera (Penelope), Aaron Sheehan (Telemaco), Leah Wool (Minerva), Owen McIntosh (Giove), Abigail Nims (Melanto), Daniel Auchincloss (Eumaeus), Sonja DuToit Tengblad (Juno), Ulysses Thomas (Antinous) & Marc Molomot (Irus)
    Boston Baroque, Martin Pearlman
    Recorded April 2014, Mechanics Hall, Worcester Massachusetts

    Name:  Il Ritorno D'Ulisse in Patria - Martin Pearlman, Boston Baroque 2014.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  33.2 KB

    Of the surviving Monteverdi operas, this one has perhaps the most different interpretations. This is explained by Martin Pearlman in the accompanying booklet by the fact that we have less documentation. The only surviving manuscript is a copy probably made after the death of Monteverdi and it is incomplete; even the instrumentation is not recorded. He explains most of the opera is on just two staves: vocal line plus instrumental bass. There is very little orchestral accompaniment, in total about fifteen minutes of the opera. This is where mainly the variation in interpretation arises. How much orchestration?
    This is Martin Pearlmans version where he says he looks to take a balance between the no orchestration of the original score and some of the more fully orchestrated versions.
    Certainly it sounds fresher but this I put down mostly to the beautiful voice of Rivera which is an intelligent and beautiful Penelope and a well partnered Guimarães as Ulisse. The orchestration doesn't sound all that dramatically different but there is subtlety and delicacy perhaps, which I think I will need to hear more than once to appreciate better. I am looking forward to getting to know this version better.
    Intriguing, thank you.

    To begin with, I listened to this opera only to familiarise myself with it before I saw it live. At first I wasn't even sure if I liked it but it has totally got under my skin. I have three versions so far, Harnoncourt, Cavina and Jacobs and relish the thought of getting to know another.

    On my list to buy.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

    FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

  5. #4130
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,520
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Intriguing, thank you.

    To begin with, I listened to this opera only to familiarise myself with it before I saw it live. At first I wasn't even sure if I liked it but it has totally got under my skin. I have three versions so far, Harnoncourt, Cavina and Jacobs and relish the thought of getting to know another.

    On my list to buy.
    I kowtow to AVTRP

    Annie's Very Thorough Research Program!

    Though as you said, Monteverdi just does that to you!

    I also recommend the Glen Wilson De Nederlands Opera production but this is a DVD

    Anthony Rolfe Johnson (Ulisse), Graciela Araya (Penelope), Toby Spence (Telemaco), Jaco Huijpen (Antinoo), Christopher Gillett (Pisandro), Diana Montague (Minerva), Brian Asawa (Anfinomo)
    Baroque Ensemble Orchestra, Glen Wilson, stage direction by Pierre Audi

    All the cast and production is very good. It is the minimalist stage production that also produced the very good L'Incoronazione di Poppea; a very sincere and not off his rocker Pierre Audi.

  6. #4131
    Member Recent member Vlad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like
    Einstein on the Beach - Glass
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 5th, 2018 at 10:45 PM.

  7. #4132
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,520
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    Einstein on the Beach - Glass
    ...
    Ah but pray tell; what is in the glass?
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; January 5th, 2018 at 10:45 PM.

  8. #4133
    Member Recent member Vlad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Ah but pray tell; what is in the glass?
    Greenore Irish single grain, earl grey bitters, orange blossom water, turbinado syrup, ice sphere

  9. #4134
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,520
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    Greenore Irish single grain, earl grey bitters, orange blossom water, turbinado syrup, ice sphere
    Yeah, that IS opera in a glass! Sounds very good and I want to try some. You don't live anywhere near Berkhamsted do you?

  10. #4135
    Member Recent member Vlad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Yeah, that IS opera in a glass! Sounds very good and I want to try some. You don't live anywhere near Berkhamsted do you?
    I wish I did! I'm a whisky nerd, and you've got access to many, many single malts I can't get in the US.

  11. #4136
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,233
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post

    I also recommend the Glen Wilson De Nederlands Opera production but this is a DVD

    Anthony Rolfe Johnson (Ulisse), Graciela Araya (Penelope), Toby Spence (Telemaco), Jaco Huijpen (Antinoo), Christopher Gillett (Pisandro), Diana Montague (Minerva), Brian Asawa (Anfinomo)
    Baroque Ensemble Orchestra, Glen Wilson, stage direction by Pierre Audi

    All the cast and production is very good. It is the minimalist stage production that also produced the very good L'Incoronazione di Poppea; a very sincere and not off his rocker Pierre Audi.
    Sounds good. This one I presume?





    I have this and I think it's brilliant.

    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

    FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

  12. #4137
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,520
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    I wish I did! I'm a whisky nerd, and you've got access to many, many single malts I can't get in the US.


    Okay, that does it. Gotta start a Whisky thread. I can drink and talk whisky until the grains come home.

  13. #4138
    Senior Member Involved Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    So. Cal.
    Posts
    499
    Post Thanks / Like
    UGH, All this bore-oque.

    I'll be back after some Wagner, Strauss, Mozart and Mefistofele.

  14. #4139
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,520
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Itullian View Post
    UGH, All this bore-oque.

    I'll be back after some Wagner, Stauss, Mozart and Mefistofele.
    yes, I'm stuck in the seventeenth and eighteenth century and my obsession is making me broke

  15. #4140
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    424
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    yes, I'm stuck in the seventeenth and eighteenth century and my obsession is making me broke

    (nothing to do with my age , your remark is hilarious)

Page 276 of 568 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What vocal music have you been listening to, lately?
    By Hoffmann in forum Other Classical Vocal Music
    Replies: 812
    Last Post: September 29th, 2019, 11:01 AM
  2. Current Symphonic Listening
    By Samurai in forum Non-Operatic, Non-Vocal Classical Music
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: February 29th, 2012, 04:44 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS