Page 430 of 568 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 LastLast
Results 6,436 to 6,450 of 8508

Thread: What opera have you been listening to, lately?

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #6436
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    3,432
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Waltraud is a fairly common name in the German-speaking countries, as are Gudrun (Gutrune), Siegfried, and Günther. Not too many Wotans or Alberichs running around, however.

    I was wrong about Meier singing Waltraute in the Levine Ring -- that's actually Christa Ludwig. As you noted, Frau Meier often performed with Barenboim, and it's in his late 1980s/early 1990s Bayreuth Ring that she sings Waltraute. And, of course, there is a real Siegfried (Jerusalem) singing the offspring of Siegmund and Sieglinde in both of those cycles.
    But Waltraud sings Waltraute in the 1989 Sawallisch set I just got in yesterday's mail, which I just started listening to tonight (see below).
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

  2. #6437
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    3,432
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

  3. #6438
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    438
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rossini time



    Actually, having just watched Verdi's Macbeth and Falstaff, I should consider continuing this apparent Shakespeare trend: Verdi's Otello, Britten's Midsummer Night's Dream, Gonoud's Romeo and Juliet, Bellini's Capuleti and Montecchi, and Thomas' Hamlet. Should be fun!

  4. #6439
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,567
    Post Thanks / Like
    A gorgeous day here in Washington today, so for today's walk:


    Name:  OrlandoFurioso.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  41.0 KB

  5. #6440
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,879
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonata View Post
    Rossini time



    Actually, having just watched Verdi's Macbeth and Falstaff, I should consider continuing this apparent Shakespeare trend: Verdi's Otello, Britten's Midsummer Night's Dream, Gonoud's Romeo and Juliet, Bellini's Capuleti and Montecchi, and Thomas' Hamlet. Should be fun!
    A good project - how about Adès' The Tempest, Nicolai's Die lustigen Weiber von Windsor, & Reimann's Lear.
    Natalie

  6. #6441
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    3,194
    Post Thanks / Like


    Conductor: Emmanuelle Haïm
    Cast: Ian Bostridge (Orfeo), Natalie Dessay (La Musica), Patrizia Ciofi (Euridice), Véronique Gens (Proserpina), Alice Coote (Messaggiera), Sonia Prina (Speranza), Carolyn Sampson (Ninfa), Paul Agnew (Eco/Shepherd), Christopher Maltman (Apollo/Shepherd), Lorenzo Regazzo (Plutone), Mario Luperi (Caronte), Pascal Bertin, Richard Burkhard (Shepherds)

    Got things backwards here, so that I’m familiarizing myself with Monteverdi’s first opera after getting acquainted with his last one (L'Incoronazione di Poppea) and second-to-last one (Il Ritorno d’Ulisse in Patria) previously. Almost four decades separate Poppea (1642) and L’Orfeo (1607), and the stylistic differences between the two are pronounced. The death of Elizabeth I preceded the premiere of L’Orfeo by only four years, and the Renaissance roots of the music seem quite clear in contrast to the early Baroque character of Poppea and Ulisse. What really amazes me is that some of the solo vocal writing, especially in the third and fourth acts, almost sounds to me as though it could have come from the pen of certain 21st century composers. It’s not melodic in the same way we’re accustomed to hearing even in Monteverdi’s own later works, and at times, Orfeo’s music has the sort of vocal acrobatics that really makes me think of modern operas (not the atonal ones). What may also be influencing my perception is the fact that I have Poppea and Ulisse on DVD, whereas this is an audio recording without any visuals to support the drama and which perhaps makes me focus on the music more.
    In any event, this is a fabulous recording with what really amounts to luxury casting in the many small roles. Glad I waited for it.

  7. #6442
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    438
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    A good project - how about Adès' The Tempest, Nicolai's Die lustigen Weiber von Windsor, & Reimann's Lear.
    Thank you for the additional suggestions! I'll look for those too.

    Right now I'm back to Verdi, my favorite. I was able to listen to most of this opera during my morning workout and commute, I hope to finish during my lunch break. The singing on this recording is phenomenal across the board, in my humble opinion.


  8. #6443
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,567
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very windy here today - although sunny and nice. However, didn't sleep well last night so decided a nap was inevitable. Listening to now, this set that somehow had escaped notice:


    Name:  DonCarloNaxos.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  14.9 KB

  9. #6444
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,567
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went out to walk today, but it was still windy and cold. I walked a little over a mile and decided that life is short and turned around and walked home. However, I felt guilty for being a wuss, so found my way downstairs in my building to the gym and the treadmill. Not my favorite thing, but no one was around, so got in an hour (etiquette allows 30 mins max) and managed to walk off a few calories. Today's listen:


    Name:  MaomettoII.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  18.1 KB

  10. #6445
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    3,432
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just arrived today, completing my Goodall cycle.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

  11. #6446
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,567
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Just arrived today, completing my Goodall cycle.
    Ok, Florestan. I am alternately fascinated and appalled by the concept of the Ring in English. Somehow it just doesn't seem right - "ring" true, as it were.

    You've listened to the Ring done both in German and English - What do you think - Does work well in translation? Does the Ring in English improve one's ability to understand the operas over German?

  12. #6447
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    3,432
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Ok, Florestan. I am alternately fascinated and appalled by the concept of the Ring in English. Somehow it just doesn't seem right - "ring" true, as it were.

    You've listened to the Ring done both in German and English - What do you think - Does work well in translation? Does the Ring in English improve one's ability to understand the operas over German?
    I have a lot of operas in English: Fidelio, Barber of Seville, Elixir of Love, Martha, Merry Widow, Mary Stuart, Thieving Magpie, Tosca, Flying Dutchman. Fidelio is terrible (Abscheulicher is translated as "sadistic swine"!). The others are pretty good and in fact I only have the English set for the Thieving Magpie. In particular I really like Martha in English a lot (much humor in this translation--makes me think Gilbert and Sullivan), but even then turn back to a German version for the beauty of the original language performance.

    As for the Ring, the Goodall performance is exceptionally good. I rank it right up there with some of the best Rings on CD. I think it is especially good for me because I am new to the ring (6 weeks in) and being such a long opera (series of operas) it is much easier to know where I am in the English recording, though it is not always easy to understand the words, there does seem to be a bit more clarity of the sung word in Goodall's Ring over many other English recordings and that may be because he uses about the slowest tempos of any Ring cycle (roughtly 17 hours on 16 disks vs typical 15 hours on 14 disks). In Beethoven symphonies I got rid of the slow cycles (Klemperer and Wand) and kept the faster ones such as Monteux and Zinman, but in the Goodall Ring, I do not feel like it is dragging. The bonus is if you love the Ring, you get to love it for 17 hours instead of just 15.

    If you do pursue the Goodall ring, be sure to get it on Chandos as I understand from reviews/comments that it is remastered and sounds much better than the older EMI release. I know Prestoclassical sells the entire cycle but it is about $150 though they recently has it on sale for around $100 and probably will do so again someday.

    The way I got into the Goodall Ring is I found a good used Rheingold for $9 shipped. Now who could resist such a deal? I was going to leave it at that, but liked it so much I found a Valkyrie set for $17 shipped. After listening to both a couple times, I read more reviews that really gave the cycle high praise and then simply ordered the other two making my investment total out to $79. I could have gotten a good used complete cycle for $100 but the only thing I am missing is the main storage box, and my Siegfried is brand new.

    Here is one of the glowing reviews.

    I do also love to hear the Ring in German and have Neuhold, Solti, Krauss, and Sawallisch. But I could see Goodall being my top Ring.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

  13. #6448
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,879
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    I have a lot of operas in English: Fidelio, Barber of Seville, Elixir of Love, Martha, Merry Widow, Mary Stuart, Thieving Magpie, Tosca, Flying Dutchman. Fidelio is terrible (Abscheulicher is translated as "sadistic swine"!). The others are pretty good and in fact I only have the English set for the Thieving Magpie. In particular I really like Martha in English a lot (much humor in this translation--makes me think Gilbert and Sullivan), but even then turn back to a German version for the beauty of the original language performance.

    As for the Ring, the Goodall performance is exceptionally good. I rank it right up there with some of the best Rings on CD. I think it is especially good for me because I am new to the ring (6 weeks in) and being such a long opera (series of operas) it is much easier to know where I am in the English recording, though it is not always easy to understand the words, there does seem to be a bit more clarity of the sung word in Goodall's Ring over many other English recordings and that may be because he uses about the slowest tempos of any Ring cycle (roughtly 17 hours on 16 disks vs typical 15 hours on 14 disks). In Beethoven symphonies I got rid of the slow cycles (Klemperer and Wand) and kept the faster ones such as Monteux and Zinman, but in the Goodall Ring, I do not feel like it is dragging. The bonus is if you love the Ring, you get to love it for 17 hours instead of just 15.

    If you do pursue the Goodall ring, be sure to get it on Chandos as I understand from reviews/comments that it is remastered and sounds much better than the older EMI release. I know Prestoclassical sells the entire cycle but it is about $150 though they recently has it on sale for around $100 and probably will do so again someday.

    The way I got into the Goodall Ring is I found a good used Rheingold for $9 shipped. Now who could resist such a deal? I was going to leave it at that, but liked it so much I found a Valkyrie set for $17 shipped. After listening to both a couple times, I read more reviews that really gave the cycle high praise and then simply ordered the other two making my investment total out to $79. I could have gotten a good used complete cycle for $100 but the only thing I am missing is the main storage box, and my Siegfried is brand new.

    Here is one of the glowing reviews.

    I do also love to hear the Ring in German and have Neuhold, Solti, Krauss, and Sawallisch. But I could see Goodall being my top Ring.
    I am also enjoying the Goodall Ring ( the library has it, yay!) - musically it's good, with a Siegfried with beauty of tone as well as power; and it is excellent to have the words in a very good translation.
    Natalie

  14. #6449
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,951
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonata View Post
    Actually, having just watched Verdi's Macbeth and Falstaff, I should consider continuing this apparent Shakespeare trend: Verdi's Otello, Britten's Midsummer Night's Dream, Gonoud's Romeo and Juliet, Bellini's Capuleti and Montecchi, and Thomas' Hamlet. Should be fun!
    And Reimann's Lear. Just sayin'.

    EDIT: As usual, Soave was way ahead of me.
    Last edited by Amfortas; January 29th, 2017 at 12:01 AM.

  15. #6450
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    3,432
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Page 430 of 568 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What vocal music have you been listening to, lately?
    By Hoffmann in forum Other Classical Vocal Music
    Replies: 811
    Last Post: July 19th, 2019, 05:28 AM
  2. Current Symphonic Listening
    By Samurai in forum Non-Operatic, Non-Vocal Classical Music
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: February 29th, 2012, 04:44 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS