Page 453 of 568 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 LastLast
Results 6,781 to 6,795 of 8508

Thread: What opera have you been listening to, lately?

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #6781
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Brushing up on my Otello. Not my favourite Verdi
    Try Rossini's Otello one of these days! Good alternative. (I love them both)
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  2. #6782
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,221
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Try Rossini's Otello one of these days! Good alternative. (I love them both)
    I have it on CD and actually prefer the Rossini!

  3. #6783
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    3,194
    Post Thanks / Like


    Conductor/orchestra: Lamberto Gardelli, ORF (Austrian Broadcasting) Symphony Orchestra and Chorus
    Cast: José Carreras (Jacopo Foscari), Katia Ricciarelli (Lucrezia Contarini), Piero Cappuccilli (Francesco Foscari), Samuel Ramey (Jacopo Loredano), Vincenzo Bello (Barbarigo), Elizabeth Connell (Pisana), Franz Handlos (Doge’s Servant), Mieczyslaw Antoniak (Officer of the Council of Ten)

    This is an excellent recording, with no weak links anywhere and Carreras and Ricciarelli in superlative form. In addition to Verdi’s fabulous music, this opera also has an emotional and psychological depth that make it easy to understand why I due Foscari seems to be gaining a place in the standard repertoire. Another plus with this set: the enclosed booklet has the complete libretto, including an English translation.

  4. #6784
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,879
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post


    Conductor/orchestra: Lamberto Gardelli, ORF (Austrian Broadcasting) Symphony Orchestra and Chorus
    Cast: José Carreras (Jacopo Foscari), Katia Ricciarelli (Lucrezia Contarini), Piero Cappuccilli (Francesco Foscari), Samuel Ramey (Jacopo Loredano), Vincenzo Bello (Barbarigo), Elizabeth Connell (Pisana), Franz Handlos (Doge’s Servant), Mieczyslaw Antoniak (Officer of the Council of Ten)

    This is an excellent recording, with no weak links anywhere and Carreras and Ricciarelli in superlative form. In addition to Verdi’s fabulous music, this opera also has an emotional and psychological depth that make it easy to understand why I due Foscari seems to be gaining a place in the standard repertoire. Another plus with this set: the enclosed booklet has the complete libretto, including an English translation.
    Yes it is an interesting story.
    Natalie

  5. #6785
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    3,432
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

  6. #6786
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    438
    Post Thanks / Like


    Vivaldi Bajazet

  7. #6787
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    3,432
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonata View Post


    Vivaldi Bajazet
    Wikipedia tells me that Bajazet is also know as Tamerlano, which I have, except mine is Handel and yours is Vivaldi. So they must be different.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

  8. #6788
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,567
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing but I'm assuming bad due to the use of Comic Sans.
    More likely use of comic sands....

  9. #6789
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,879
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Wikipedia tells me that Bajazet is also know as Tamerlano, which I have, except mine is Handel and yours is Vivaldi. So they must be different.
    Bajazet is a the father of the love interest; they have both been captured by the dictator Tamerlano. So it is the same story, different focus.
    Natalie

  10. #6790
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,221
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Did you like it?

    I love this version. I listened to it as part of my homework before I saw it live.

  11. #6791
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    3,432
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Did you like it?

    I love this version. I listened to it as part of my homework before I saw it live.
    I have been struggling to get into this early Baroque. Too much of a Renaissance sound which did not have a beauty that I am accustomed to, but on listening to this and the Orfeo from my Harnoncourt Monteverdi cycle I am warming up to it. My main incentives to get into this are that I have opportunity to see Orfeo in concert next April at Hill Auditorium, and that I am really into Vesselina Kasarova, which has led me to the video production of this opera featuring her (up next in my queue for videos). As I listen more and more, I am finding a beauty to this early Baroque, yet it still has that effect of all sounding the same (which is what my wife said of Handel's Ariodante). But I think I will get past that. The motivation is high and already I am planning to buy tickets as soon as they go on sale in August (right now it is only season ticket sales). Even if I didn't fully warm up to this style, the concert is a must do. I know if I don't go I will regret it.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

  12. #6792
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,221
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    I have been struggling to get into this early Baroque. Too much of a Renaissance sound which did not have a beauty that I am accustomed to, but on listening to this and the Orfeo from my Harnoncourt Monteverdi cycle I am warming up to it. My main incentives to get into this are that I have opportunity to see Orfeo in concert next April at Hill Auditorium, and that I am really into Vesselina Kasarova, which has led me to the video production of this opera featuring her (up next in my queue for videos). As I listen more and more, I am finding a beauty to this early Baroque, yet it still has that effect of all sounding the same (which is what my wife said of Handel's Ariodante). But I think I will get past that. The motivation is high and already I am planning to buy tickets as soon as they go on sale in August (right now it is only season ticket sales). Even if I didn't fully warm up to this style, the concert is a must do. I know if I don't go I will regret it.
    I can identify with everything you say. When I first heard Ulisse, I was disappointed and, like you, I thought it all sounded the same. I had motivation as I was determined to learn it before I saw it live and all the homework paid off. The Harnoncourt DVD looks interesting and I might look for a cheap used copy.

    I'm sure you won't regret the time you spend getting to know Orfeo. I had to smile when I saw the date of your Orfeo in concert! That's the same date that I'm seeing A Midsummer Night's Dream in Vienna. We opera fans love booking stuff way in advance!

  13. #6793
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    3,432
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    I can identify with everything you say. When I first heard Ulisse, I was disappointed and, like you, I thought it all sounded the same. I had motivation as I was determined to learn it before I saw it live and all the homework paid off. The Harnoncourt DVD looks interesting and I might look for a cheap used copy.

    I'm sure you won't regret the time you spend getting to know Orfeo. I had to smile when I saw the date of your Orfeo in concert! That's the same date that I'm seeing A Midsummer Night's Dream in Vienna. We opera fans love booking stuff way in advance!
    Book early or be sorry later! I recommend you get the Monteverdi opera cycle set. It has Orfeo, Ulysse, and Popea (though I won't listen to that immoral story), and a spare disk of some select arias and such. Nice deal I got for $20 USD used VG instead of just Ofreo for $12 shipped. Glad I got the set.

    Midsummer Night's Dream would be nice to see too.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

  14. #6794
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,221
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Book early or be sorry later! I recommend you get the Monteverdi opera cycle set. It has Orfeo, Ulysse, and Popea (though I won't listen to that immoral story), and a spare disk of some select arias and such. Nice deal I got for $20 USD used VG instead of just Ofreo for $12 shipped. Glad I got the set.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll look out for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Midsummer Night's Dream would be nice to see too.
    I'm still struggling with it. It's not because it's Britten, it's because it's Shakespeare! I've always struggled with Shakespeare's text. When the libretto is written in Italian or French (Macbeth, Falstaff etc and Hamlet), I can enjoy it but in it's 'Olde English' form I don't like it at all.

    Oh well, I have a year!!

  15. #6795
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    3,432
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the Monteverdi opera set (and great used pricing):
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IWVDHAO/
    Not much of a booklet though, just a writeup. I don't think even synopsis and definitely no Libretto. Singers listed on back of cardboard disk sleeves.

    Oh, I was thinking Mendelssohn's Midsummer Night's Dream. Never heard Britten's.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Page 453 of 568 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What vocal music have you been listening to, lately?
    By Hoffmann in forum Other Classical Vocal Music
    Replies: 811
    Last Post: July 19th, 2019, 05:28 AM
  2. Current Symphonic Listening
    By Samurai in forum Non-Operatic, Non-Vocal Classical Music
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: February 29th, 2012, 04:44 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS