0 0%
  • Gotterdammerung

2 7.14%
  • Parsifal

4 14.29%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Our Preferred Wagner Opera

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Our Preferred Wagner Opera

This is a very difficult question if one breaks down the Ring in four operas (so that it doesn't win automatically) and allows only one vote per person.
    Like Schigolch did for Puccini, let's see what Wagner opera is the preferred one among our members. Feel free to explain your vote by replying to the thread, in addition to voting (I'm typing this on a keyboard layout that doesn't have accentuation and I won't bother going after the codes).

My vote: Tristan und Isolde, for its dramatic impact, sublime music, and historical importance in terms of musical evolution.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); January 23rd, 2012 at 06:58 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Schigolch
    Tristan

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lohengrin has sometimes been called Wagner's most "Italian" opera, so that likely accounts for my preference.

Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Lohengrin has sometimes been called Wagner's most "Italian" opera, so that likely accounts for my preference.
    Sure it's his most Italian opera, just a bunch of Rossini-like numbers, total rip-off, unlike this absolutely German, heavy romantic music:

[Link deleted by Admin - video no longer available]
    Last edited by Ann Lander (sospiro); January 6th, 2018 at 06:38 PM.

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer "Die Walküre". Feelings of Wotan and Brunnhilde in his farewell, and fantastic music that plays in this scene is, in my mind, the best operatic music ever wrote.

Otherwise, the whole Ring is my preferred operatic work.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Die Walküre for me, too--I find it at once the most exciting and the most moving of Wagner's operas. Followed by Parsifal, more for its strange, decadent fascination than its overt dramatic action, and then Tristan, which falls somewhere in between those two in its effect.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Should be a predictable poll with Tristan und Isolde, and Die Walküre as likely leads. I picked Parsifal.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Die Walküre is indeed my second preferred Wagner opera after Tristan und Isolde. I do think they're the two best.
    If we consider the Ring as one, then it takes first place for me, since like for member Loge, it is my preferred operatic work overall, with Tristan und Isolde second, and Berlioz' Les Troyens third (then some Mozarts and Verdis and Handels are next).
    Back to Wagner, my order of preference (as long as the Ring is not taken as a whole) is this, today (it changes from time to time):
    1. Tristan und Isolde.
    2. Die Walküre
    3. Götterdämmerung
    4. Das Rheingold
    5. Lohengrin
    6. Tannhäuser
    7. Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg
    8. Der Fliegende Holländer
    9. Siegfried
    10. Parsifal
    11. Rienzi

I haven't seen the other two.
    Parsifal is so low in my list because I don't like its libretto at all, although I do love its music.
    This said, being low - even Rienzi - doesn't mean I don't like these operas.
    I basically like all 11. So the ones that are pushed down on the list are so for suffering from the competition of their sisters, it doesn't mean they are not good.

I'd like to see the two that I'm still missing. That I know, there are no DVDs of them. Are they available on YouTube?
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

9. Thanks Parsifal1883 thanked for this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Couchie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tristan und Isolde. I would pick it over the entire Ring. In no other piece of music have I ever found such a fascinatingly inexhaustible source of tormenting delight. In some ways I wish I had never heard it because it's so overwhelming it's reduced my ability to enjoy everything else (kind of annoying to be listening to something and then have "god, I wish I was listening to Tristan right now!" creep into your head!)

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the Ring and Lohengrin best, and of the Ring I like Die Walküre. I feel as though I should like Tristan more than I should - really I'm just waiting for the Liebestod when I listen to it.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Tristan und Isolde's first act is very interesting, Nat. As a matter of fact the entire opera is perfect from beginning to end. It's not just the Liebestod. It is a formidable story, perfectly set to music.

13. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I've made progress. The first time I listened to Tristan, I was horrified and bewildered and ready to give my CD away to anyone who would take it off my hands. I now own 2 CDs and 3 DVDs. But I don't feel as warmly towards it as I do to the Ring or Lohengrin.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Well, I've made progress. The first time I listened to Tristan, I was horrified and bewildered and ready to give my CD away to anyone who would take it off my hands. I now own 2 CDs and 3 DVDs. But I don't feel as warmly towards it as I do to the Ring or Lohengrin.
    Hmm... On second thought, you're right, it is pretty bad, Nat. Please send your 2 CDs and 3 DVDs to me (you have the address) and I'll make sure I get rid of them for you - you know, just being a good friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Alma, you're always SO helpful in cases like this.
    Natalie

Senior Member Involved Member Nekrotzar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    And Tristan und Isolde wins!
    If you would seek salvation, remember this:
    a life in Hell can still aspire to BLISS.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast