Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh dear

Name:  eno.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  89.8 KB
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Oh dear

Name:  eno.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  89.8 KB
    Oh dear. ENO is really floundering.
    Natalie

3. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh dear is right. This smacks of desperation. And frankly, I wonder about any "celebrity" who needs to have his/her ego propped up in this showy, vulgar manner.

5. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Oh dear is right. This smacks of desperation. And frankly, I wonder about any "celebrity" who needs to have his/her ego propped up in this showy, vulgar manner.
    Indeed. These are probably 'Z' list people who have appeared in reality TV shows and who want to bolster their image. I often see well known people at ROH and they tend to scurry about with their heads down and give the impression that being recognised is the last thing they want.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

7. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The thought of being rich and famous would scare me terribly. I'd rather be rich (enough to have a music store-room) and anonymous
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    An opera house legend resigns following allegations of sexual harassment.

Post Thanks / Like

The last line!!!!!
    Natalie

11. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    NEVER STOP! (We might need a new thread )
    Yes, I think we should ask the moderators to move these all to a new thread, Opera and Classical Music Limericks, or something like that. I do like the opera synopsis limericks. I sometimes groan at how long a Wikipedia synopsis is when I am in a hurry to get a quick summary.
    "Music is enought for a whole lifetime--but a lifetime is not enough for music." --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

13. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Yes, I think we should ask the moderators to move these all to a new thread, Opera and Classical Music Limericks, or something like that. I do like the opera synopsis limericks. I sometimes groan at how long a Wikipedia synopsis is when I am in a hurry to get a quick summary.
    I agree! Soave_Fanciulla? Luiz? Can you help?

15. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    I agree! Soave_Fanciulla? Luiz? Can you help?
    Done
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

17. Thanks MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) thanked for this post
    Likes Florestan liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This strange idea popped into my head the other day that there are things about L'amico Fritz (LF) and La Sonnambula (LS) that make me think we could produce an opera with the two joined (LS to follow LF) into a Wagner-lengthed love story. Consider the similarities in the main characters:

Fritz Kobus (LF) and Elvino (LS) are both wealthy landowner bachelors.

Suzel (LF) and Amina (LS) are both pure young maidens.

In both cases the leading ladies end up getting married to the leading men.

LF occurs "probably somewhere in Alsace" (Wikipedia) which is in France and LS occurs in neighboring Switzerland. so they are in the same geographic region more or less. They also occur in similar time periods.

To join them we could do this: After Fritz finally falls for Suzel, they schedule a wedding date. Meanwhile, the excitement of being engaged has Suzel so she cannot sleep properly and she begins sleepwalking. All the events of Sonnambula then occur. The Count of sonnambula could be the Rabbi of L'amico Fritz. Who would be Lisa though? And her beau? I guess we can bring them into the story at the appropriate point. Maybe Beppe has a girl that has just not been responding to him. Of course Lisa in LS was an old flame of Elvino's, but we could have Lisa in this joined pair of operas be an admirer who suddenly catches Fritz' (or Elvino's, which ever name we use for the joined operas) interest after he believes he has been betrayed by Suzel (or Amina). I am sure there are other problems that need to be resolved and will not show up until this is attempted at the libretto level. I might just take a shot at it on the Wikipedia synopsis level though.

But then musically they may not fit together. Would LS' overture become an interlude?
    "Music is enought for a whole lifetime--but a lifetime is not enough for music." --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Three years ago today, I came down with the opera bug. Snapshot of my ever-changing Top 10 Favorites:

Handel - Alcina
    Mozart - Don Giovanni
    Berlioz - Les Troyens
    Verdi - Don Carlos
    Wagner - Twilight of the Gods
    Tchaikovsky - Eugene Onegin
    Debussy - Pelleas et Melisande
    Janacek - The Cunning Little Vixen
    Britten - Peter Grimes
    Poulenc - Dialogues des Carmelites

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    Three years ago today, I came down with the opera bug. Snapshot of my ever-changing Top 10 Favorites:

Handel - Alcina
    Mozart - Don Giovanni
    Berlioz - Les Troyens
    Verdi - Don Carlos
    Wagner - Twilight of the Gods
    Tchaikovsky - Eugene Onegin
    Debussy - Pelleas et Melisande
    Janacek - The Cunning Little Vixen
    Britten - Peter Grimes
    Poulenc - Dialogues des Carmelites
    Good stuff, good stuff! Every single one listed above is a masterpiece.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

21. Likes halochef liked this post
    Member Recent member CaptainVere's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My current top 10:

1. Don Giovanni
    2. Billy Budd
    3. Don Carlo
    4. The Ring Cycle
    5. Il trovatore
    6. Un ballo in maschera
    7. La forza del destino
    8. Tosca
    9. Peter Grimes
    10. Lucia di Lammermoor

Tosca used to be my No.1 when I was younger. Don Giovanni sneakily worked his way up to the top. Billy Budd was an instant favorite (should I say: K.O.), and one I hoard every possible version of. Don Carlo just recently knocked the Ring out of my top 3. Il trovatore was my first ever opera and always somewhere in my top 10. Ballo used to be No.2. Forza worked its way up. Grimes won me over afer watching it with Philip Langridge. Lucia snatched this post after seeing the brilliant ROH production recently.

Some favourites who fell off the toplist: Turandot, Rigoletto, Zauberflöte, Otello, Carmen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVere View Post
    My current top 10:

1. Don Giovanni
    2. Billy Budd
    3. Don Carlo
    4. The Ring Cycle
    5. Il trovatore
    6. Un ballo in maschera
    7. La forza del destino
    8. Tosca
    9. Peter Grimes
    10. Lucia di Lammermoor

Tosca used to be my No.1 when I was younger. Don Giovanni sneakily worked his way up to the top. Billy Budd was an instant favorite (should I say: K.O.), and one I hoard every possible version of. Don Carlo just recently knocked the Ring out of my top 3. Il trovatore was my first ever opera and always somewhere in my top 10. Ballo used to be No.2. Forza worked its way up. Grimes won me over afer watching it with Philip Langridge. Lucia snatched this post after seeing the brilliant ROH production recently.

Some favourites who fell off the toplist: Turandot, Rigoletto, Zauberflöte, Otello, Carmen.
    Great list! Love seeing other people's favourites. My Top Ten change all the time; apart from my favourite which is Simon Boccanegra which will always be my number one.

You liked the Katie Mitchell Lucia? I didn't see it so can't comment but it got a lot of negative press.