Fidelio
    Martha (Flotow)
    Eugene Onegin
    Maria Stuarda
    Il Trovatore
    La Fanciulla del West
    Boris Godunov
    Giulio Cesare

EDIT: Prob should have eleven and include Barber of Seville.
    "Music is enought for a whole lifetime--but a lifetime is not enough for music." --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Member Recent member CaptainVere's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I liked it a lot - it added some interesting twists while keeping it pretty and period (although 19th century rather than late 1600s-ish). I felt like the characters were more relatable and complex than usual, plus the cast was all-around excellent. The stage is split so a lot of action is shown that's usually behind the scenes (like Arturo's murder, which was a mix of gory and nearly comedic - dude just wouldn't die already ). The sets are really beautiful. Also, probably a record holder in "amount of stage blood used".

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    SO hard to choose just ten - so I won't - and like Annie my list changes all the time. These are pretty solid, in no particular order:
    Billy Budd
    Turn of the Screw
    Peter Grimes
    Don Giovanni
    Die Entführung aus dem Serail
    Don Carlos - French 5 Act
    Die Tote Stadt
    La Fanciulla del West
    The Demon
    Eugene Onegin
    Pique Dame
    Otello for the music, but I find it painful to watch
    L'incoronazione di Poppea and the other two -
    Giulio Cesare and pretty much everything Handel ever wrote
    Manon
    Carmen
    Aleko
    Guillaume Tell
    Lohengrin
    Tristan und Isolde
    The Cunning little Vixen
    Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk

And I've left so many out - Vivaldi, Rimsky-Korsakov, other Wagners, other Brittens, other Mozarts....
    Natalie

4. Likes Nemorino, Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not one I've listened to in a while but I do like Fedora. I find that if there's publicity around the staging of a rarity, it often crops up elsewhere so pleased to see it will be staged soon and with, I expect, lots of publicity!

http://operawire.com/jonas-kaufmann-...ject-for-2020/
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

6. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

8. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm watching my second production of Onegin - my first one was the London version with the weird dancer doubles - and NOW I get it. It's the 2007 Met version and it's pure magic. I'm in love. I finally understand the whole passion. It really helps when Tatyana is someone this youthful and radiant, and when Onegin is someone so magnetic and charismatic.

10. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVere View Post
    I'm watching by second production of Onegin - my first one was the London version with the weird dancer doubles - and NOW I get it. It's the 2007 Met version and it's pure magic. I'm in love. I finally understand the whole passion. It really helps when Tatyana is someone this youthful and radiant, and when Onegin is someone so magnetic and charismatic.
    It's a wonderful opera and I want to see it again to override the memory of my last live encounter. I saw what I call the 'younger selves' version and was terribly disappointed. The singers are great actors and it seemed a shame that they had to stand still and sing while another person did the acting/interpretation. The letter scene was particularly annoying as I kept looking at the girl who was writing but she wasn't singing. Tatyana was perched half way up the scenery. I loved Kasper Holten but his productions were bonkers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    It's a wonderful opera and I want to see it again to override the memory of my last live encounter. I saw what I call the 'younger selves' version and was terribly disappointed. The singers are great actors and it seemed a shame that they had to stand still and sing while another person did the acting/interpretation. The letter scene was particularly annoying as I kept looking at the girl who was writing but she wasn't singing. Tatyana was perched half way up the scenery. I loved Kasper Holten but his productions were bonkers!
    Yeah, that was the one I saw first - it didn't help that Stoyanova was old as balls. Simon is excellent, but he's a bit too British and too nice to be convincing as Onegin. Breslik is a perfect Lensky, though. He made me cry.

The Met version captures the spirit of the whole thing better. Renée is simply amazing. Dima was born for this.

13. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that was the one I saw first - it didn't help that Stoyanova was old as balls. Simon is excellent, but he's a bit too British and too nice to be convincing as Onegin. Breslik is a perfect Lensky, though. He made me cry.

The Met version captures the spirit of the whole thing better. Renée is simply amazing. Dima was born for this.
    Absolutely! That was my first Onegin DVD and Renee an Dima together are very special!

For an astounding letter scene, watch this DVD. It is Regie but a great performance nonetheless:
    "Music is enought for a whole lifetime--but a lifetime is not enough for music." --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

15. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Breslik is a perfect Lensky, though. He made me cry.
    Me too.

That last scene, be still my beating heart.
    Natalie

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a great deal. Whole Bellini opera downloads for £0.99 each (that's entire opera in one track) at this Amazon UK page. All you have to do is load the file into a music editor and break it into manageable chunks--or just listen as one track. Alas, it won't sell to me as it wants a bank local to the UK. Maybe if I buy an Amazon gift card it will work?

I puritani
    by Orquesta Estable del Teatro Colón, Argeo Quadri, Leyla Gencer, Gianni Raimondi, Manuel Ausensi, Ferruccio Mazzoli, Luisa Bartoletti, Umberto di Toto, Mario Verazzi
    2:20:00

Il pirata
    by The Metropolitan Opera, Nicola Rescigno, Maria Callas, Pier Miranda Ferraro, Costantino Ego, Chester Watson
    2:01:25

I Capuleti e i Montecchi
    by Orchestra sinfonica nazionale di Roma della RAI, Lorin Maazel, Ivo Vinco, Antonietta Pastori, Vittorio Tatozzi, Fiorenza Cossotto, Renato Gavarini
    1:59:59

La sonnambula
    by Orchestra sinfonica nazionale di Milano della RAI, Bruno Bartoletti, Anna Moffo, Plinio Clabassi, Anna Maria Anelli, Danilo Vega, Gianna Galli, Guido Mazzini
    2:03:00

Norma
    by Orchestra sinfonica nazionale di Roma della RAI, Tullio Serafin, Mario Del Monaco, Maria Callas, Giuseppe Modesti, Ebe Stignani, Rina Cavallari, Athos Cesarini

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Me too.

That last scene, be still my beating heart.

How does Tatiana resist? I'd run away with this Onegin, consequences be damned

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Hey, Jonas, men are made to love and kiss, too!

20. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The wonderful Welsh bass Gwynne Howell is celebrating his 80th birthday today. During his career, he was a stalwart with both the Royal Opera House and English National Opera, with a repertoire that encompassed everything from Verdi and Wagner to Mozart and Handel as well as modern operas. I only had a chance to hear him live once, as Fasolt in a concert performance of Das Rheingold with Solti and the Chicago Symphony.

Here he is as Count Walter in the ROH production of Luisa Miller, with Richard Van Allan as the aptly-named Wurm.

I think he may still occasionally appear at the ROH in very small roles.

22. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Amfortas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    The wonderful Welsh bass Gwynne Howell is celebrating his 80th birthday today. During his career, he was a stalwart with both the Royal Opera House and English National Opera, with a repertoire that encompassed everything from Verdi and Wagner to Mozart and Handel as well as modern operas. I only had a chance to hear him live once, as Fasolt in a concert performance of Das Rheingold with Solti and the Chicago Symphony.

Here he is as Count Walter in the ROH production of Luisa Miller, with Richard Van Allan as the aptly-named Wurm.

I think he may still occasionally appear at the ROH in very small roles.
    Wonderful! Thank you for posting this.