Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely fabulous!

2. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is something going very badly going wrong when opera tickets are being sold at GBP 3,435 per ticket...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a...pera-l076mzhpt

I think even if it was Maria Callas coming back to earth for one night only, I couldn't afford to buy tickets.

4. Likes terrased liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    There is something going very badly going wrong when opera tickets are being sold at GBP 3,435 per ticket...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a...pera-l076mzhpt

I think even if it was Maria Callas coming back to earth for one night only, I couldn't afford to buy tickets.
    Pity, the article is just for subscribers.
    But it's scalpers, a secondary market, not the price set by the opera company.
    Special gala evenings that are mostly fundraising opportunities can have stratospheric prices, but regular tickets sold by the houses themselves would never get to such prices.
    Now, if Maria Callas came back to Earth for one night only, I'd sell my house and go!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

6. Likes terrased, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I didn't realize it was a page for subscribers. I normally read The Guardian (for no other reason than the good arts section) which has free interweb pages but The Times had a big picture (quarter page) of Anna on the front page so I took that paper on the day.

The article reports of tickets for the ROH production of La forza del destino with JK and AN being sold on ticket resale sites for up to 3,435. These are being resold contrary to the terms and conditions of the ROH ticket sales, of which only 100 of the 2,000 plus seats are being sold to the general public. It also reports that the ROH receives 24m annualy in public subsidy, partly to ensure ticket prices are kept low.

I suggest there is more than one factor here; a ticketing system that can be abused, those naughty people that abuse the system and the facilitators purchasing to name a few. Wherever the faults are, there is something very wrong here.

8. Likes Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva), MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Sorry, I didn't realize it was a page for subscribers. I normally read The Guardian (for no other reason than the good arts section) which has free interweb pages but The Times had a big picture (quarter page) of Anna on the front page so I took that paper on the day.

The article reports of tickets for the ROH production of La forza del destino with JK and AN being sold on ticket resale sites for up to 3,435. These are being resold contrary to the terms and conditions of the ROH ticket sales, of which only 100 of the 2,000 plus seats are being sold to the general public. It also reports that the ROH receives 24m annualy in public subsidy, partly to ensure ticket prices are kept low.

I suggest there is more than one factor here; a ticketing system that can be abused, those naughty people that abuse the system and the facilitators purchasing to name a few. Wherever the faults are, there is something very wrong here.
    True. I'm not a fan of the administrative side of the ROH. They are a great opera company, artistically speaking, but their business model has always rubbed me the wrong way.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

10. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    True. I'm not a fan of the administrative side of the ROH. They are a great opera company, artistically speaking, but their business model has always rubbed me the wrong way.
    Not a fan of their admin either. It took them six months to apologise for a member of the box office staff calling me a ticket tout. I had bought two tickets, one for me and one for my friend and as I collected them from the box office, my friend paid me for hers. The woman said re-selling of tickets wasn't allowed and asked if I was a tout. At the time I was speechless but took it up with them later.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't find the thread for upcoming concerts but look at this. I don't have tickets but if you are in the SE Michigan area you may want to pick some up for th is.

Duo Recital
    Eric Owens, bass-baritone
    Lawrence Brownlee, tenor
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

13. Likes Nemorino, Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I knew it might happen one day ...

Ever since I saw a dreadful Rigoletto in English, I swore on everything holy that I would never ever ever see an opera in translation again.

Well it so happens that my favourite bass is going to be singing Il Commendatore in Don Giovanni and it's in English!!! I've always said that I'd be happy to hear him sing the telephone directory and to be fair, DG in English is slightly better than the telephone directory so yours truly has tickets.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

15. Likes MAuer, Florestan liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Ever since I saw a dreadful Rigoletto in English, I swore on everything holy that I would never ever ever see an opera in translation again.
    I wonder how to people who do not speak English like operas that were written to be sung in English. I think that there are operas sung in English translation (Thieving Magpie, Eugene Onegin for example) that work better for me than the ones actually written in English
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Guys!

About a month ago, I discovered a new toy. I have subscribed to Sirius/XM in my car for almost 10 years, and kept the channel on the Met Opera Radio channel for most of that time.

At home, I typically listen to something in my carefully collected iTunes library, but have wondered for a while about Sirius at home. A quick review of the Sirius website suggests spending U.S. $5 to add each new device - which didn't much interest me.

Then, about a month ago, I thought to check whether there might be a Sirius App on my Apple TV (it's true, I have a whole bunch of Apple products..), only to discover that Apple and Sirius have a contractual arrangement that permits one to access one's Sirius account via the App - at no extra charge!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Hi Guys!

About a month ago, I discovered a new toy. I have subscribed to Sirius/XM in my car for almost 10 years, and kept the channel on the Met Opera Radio channel for most of that time.

At home, I typically listen to something in my carefully collected iTunes library, but have wondered for a while about Sirius at home. A quick review of the Sirius website suggests spending U.S. $5 to add each new device - which didn't much interest me.

Then, about a month ago, I thought to check whether there might be a Sirius App on my Apple TV (it's true, I have a whole bunch of Apple products..), only to discover that Apple and Sirius have a contractual arrangement that permits one to access one's Sirius account via the App - at no extra charge!
    Me too, I have SiriusXM in my car and it is often tuned to Met Opera Radio. Yes, they have the same deal with Dish Network, so I have SiriusXM on my TV too, and furthermore, they have a free iPhone app too for subscribers, so I can also listen that way. And then, all SiriusXM subscribers can access from a laptop. There is no need whatsoever to pay $5 more to have an actual second satellite radio at home.

The funny thing is that they keep making these promotions and sending adds to encourage me to buy a second satellite radio for the home... when they also make the programming available at home in three other ways. It looks like they are shooting themselves in the foot with their business model, because if all subscribers can listen in multiple ways without purchasing a new radio and increasing the monthly fee, why would anybody do that? Weird...

19. Likes Hoffmann liked this post