Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    That sounds awful.

Are you completely recovered now?
    Yes. My lungs were recovered after a couple weeks but I lost about 14 pounds and when you lose it that quick it takes muscle. I weighed around 170 for a long time then finally crept up to 180 after a couple years and being on a higher fat (good fat) diet. At 6'1" 170 is a bit thin. Johnny Cash had pneumonia several times in the couple years before he died and in an interview he said, "pneumonia takes the strength out of your legs."
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

2. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Yes. My lungs were recovered after a couple weeks but I lost about 14 pounds and when you lose it that quick it takes muscle. I weighed around 170 for a long time then finally crept up to 180 after a couple years and being on a higher fat (good fat) diet. At 6'1" 170 is a bit thin. Johnny Cash had pneumonia several times in the couple years before he died and in an interview he said, "pneumonia takes the strength out of your legs."
    I didn't know that. I thought it just affected your lungs.

Pleased you're OK now.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't know that. I thought it just affected your lungs.

Pleased you're OK now.
    Guess it depends how much weight you lose but that would be a secondary effect of course. I think the reason I lost so much weight is I just didn't feel like eating much.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

5. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why is it in a live performance, someone in the audience always coughs, but you never hear of or see the musicians or the singers coughing during the performance (exceptions such as Violetta allowed).

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why is it in a live performance, someone in the audience always coughs, but you never hear of or see the musicians or the singers coughing during the performance (exceptions such as Violetta allowed).

I wish I knew!

It almost seems like a nervous reaction rather than an actual bad cough. Another recent annoyance is plastic water bottles being dropped. People should be allowed to bring in water but for goodness sake keep hold of it.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had worse; a pocket of coins. They didn't all crash out together but instead slowly dropped out one by one and each decided to spin around on the floor while challenging motion physics and simple harmonic motion to the limits.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I knew!

It almost seems like a nervous reaction rather than an actual bad cough. Another recent annoyance is plastic water bottles being dropped. People should be allowed to bring in water but for goodness sake keep hold of it.
    At the Hansel and Gretel performance the other night a baby started crying a couple of times. Thankfully, someone took the baby out each time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    I had worse; a pocket of coins. They didn't all crash out together but instead slowly dropped out one by one and each decided to spin around on the floor while challenging motion physics and simple harmonic motion to the limits.

How awful

11. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    At the Hansel and Gretel performance the other night a baby started crying a couple of times. Thankfully, someone took the baby out each time.
    I can understand taking a young child to a performance if that child is well-behaved and not likely to become bored or restless. But a baby??

13. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    I can understand taking a young child to a performance if that child is well-behaved and not likely to become bored or restless. But a baby??
    Yep. Opera is a dangerous place for babies. Look at what happened to the one in Il Trovatore!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

15. Likes Florestan, MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, we don't see the musicians and singers coughing during the performance because, understandably, opera singers run from upper respiratory infections like the devil runs from the cross, given that these infections will affect their livelihood, so, I suppose that whoever is sick, is kind enough to the colleagues and the artists to call in sick instead of showing up coughing and infecting everybody.

Then, you need to think that opera audiences are usually a bit older... the very folks who suffer from chronic medical conditions. Therefore, there is always someone coughing.

I think that if the person has a really bad cough, he/she should be kind enough to other audience members, to stay home. But the occasional cough, I think, comes with the territory of a full house with plenty of senior citizens.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

17. Likes Florestan liked this post