Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    You're not alone.

3. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's for sure! I think I got about three of them right.

5. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    2/10, time to study

- - - Updated - - -

I thought I was sure on six of the answers

7. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I quit partway in figuring if I don't know the language I'll never pass.
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

9. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Danielle de Niese (the only opera link in this post) is in town rehearsing for (and promoting) the musical Man of La Mancha. I have never heard of this work but I have heard the song The Impossible Dream, which I know as the Honda advert song (it was a good advert).
    I read that W. H. Auden was the original lyricist and that his original words for this song started as thus.

Hemmed between the haunted marshes and the
    Mountains of the dead
    To the valley of regret and the bridge of dread

That's quite a change.

11. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I was reading reviews in the latest issue of Das Opernglas, I found out that Muscat’s Royal Opera House celebrated its first co-production (of Delibes’ Lakmé) by – among other things – ordering a special signature fragrance from the British luxury perfumer Roja Dove. Portioned out in 500 bottles, the combination of rose, iris, and lily-of-the-valley was diffused throughout the auditorium via the building’s climate control system on the evening of the premiere. I hope the house management also arranged to have bottled water or throat lozenges distributed to audience members while they were at it, because I can imagine some individuals’ allergies being aggravated by the scent. (The reviewer mentions that the smell was still lingering when he attended the second performance.) On more than one occasion, I’ve had the misfortune of being seated next to a person who had liberally doused him/herself in perfume, with the result that I usually had a sore throat by the end of the evening. Yes, I know a seat neighbor can emit less pleasant odors . . . but I can’t help thinking that the good folks in Muscat could have put that money to much better use.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    I hope the house management also arranged to have bottled water or throat lozenges distributed to audience members while they were at it, because I can imagine some individuals’ allergies being aggravated by the scent.
    Not to mention the possible effect on the singers!

14. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I was reading reviews in the latest issue of Das Opernglas, I found out that Muscat’s Royal Opera House celebrated its first co-production (of Delibes’ Lakmé) by – among other things – ordering a special signature fragrance from the British luxury perfumer Roja Dove. Portioned out in 500 bottles, the combination of rose, iris, and lily-of-the-valley was diffused throughout the auditorium via the building’s climate control system on the evening of the premiere. I hope the house management also arranged to have bottled water or throat lozenges distributed to audience members while they were at it, because I can imagine some individuals’ allergies being aggravated by the scent. (The reviewer mentions that the smell was still lingering when he attended the second performance.) On more than one occasion, I’ve had the misfortune of being seated next to a person who had liberally doused him/herself in perfume, with the result that I usually had a sore throat by the end of the evening. Yes, I know a seat neighbor can emit less pleasant odors . . . but I can’t help thinking that the good folks in Muscat could have put that money to much better use.
    I don't recall getting a sore throat, but perfume has given me headaches!
    "Ah,non credea mirarti si presto estinto, o fiore." --Bellini, La Sonnambula (also written on his tomb).

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would hate this! It would give me a headache and don't wear it for this reason.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

17. Likes Florestan, MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to an item in a recent issue of BBC Music magazine, Olympic gold medalist Samantha Quek was made to leave a performance of Lucia di Lammermoor at the Vienna State Opera because she evidently coughed too much, and had to watch the rest of the opera on screen in a room separate from the auditorium. Staatsoper management says their staff wouldn't evict an audience member for coughing -- but given the experiences some OL members have had at this house, I'm more inclined to believe Ms. Quek's version of events.

Post Thanks / Like
    According to an item in a recent issue of BBC Music magazine, Olympic gold medalist Samantha Quek was made to leave a performance of Lucia di Lammermoor at the Vienna State Opera because she evidently coughed too much, and had to watch the rest of the opera on screen in a room separate from the auditorium. Staatsoper management says their staff wouldn't evict an audience member for coughing -- but given the experiences some OL members have had at this house, I'm more inclined to believe Ms. Quek's version of events.
    I can definitely believe her.

I don't think it's a Viennese trait though. I've been to Theater an der Wien several times and the staff have been helpful and friendly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of Vienna . . . Camilla Nylund, who is currently singing the Empress in Die Frau ohne Schatten at the Vienna State Opera, has been named an Austrian Kammersängerin. A well-deserved honor for this wonderful singer.

21. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jonas Kaufmann is celebrating his 50th birthday today. Kind of hard to believe -- I remember hearing him when he was in his early 30s! He should be at the peak of his career now, and I hope we can look forward to many more years of his performances.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jonas Kaufmann is celebrating his 50th birthday today. Kind of hard to believe -- I remember hearing him when he was in his early 30s! He should be at the peak of his career now, and I hope we can look forward to many more years of his performances.
    If anyone wants to see a wonderful operatic production with a youthful Jonas Kaufmann, this one is highly recommended and has Cecilia Bartoli playing a mad woman to the point that it gets a bit spooky in there.

24. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post