Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    I mentioned in my update posting last night that I have a ticket for Otello at Washington National Opera on 8 November (which I rescheduled so not to miss last night's Game 7 World Series...)
    Baseball over opera??? Just kidding. You're excused, because this was a great World Series! The Washington Nationals sure do have coming-from-behind stamina! Unbelievable! I very much enjoyed the underdogs defeating the powerful Houston Astros and winning the championship for the first time! Congratulations to your city and fans!
    Last edited by Hoffmann; November 10th, 2019 at 07:00 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

2. Likes Florestan, MAuer, Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    That said, I am a great admirer of some of Peter Sellars' additions - his recent Salzburg Clemenza re-imagined with terrorist themes, with the replacement of recits by music from Mozart's Masonic Funeral Music; and his Indian Queen from Teatro Real with themes of conquest, female oppression, and colonisation (admittedly the first is a rather stuffy plot and the second was unfinished, so both lend themselves to adaptation.).
    Oh well, I haven't seen the performance in Berlin, but I'd imagine that Frank Castorf is no Peter Sellars... The latter is one of the best operatic stage directors ever, so, I'll be more willing to forgive him for some excesses.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

4. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never knew Sir Patrick Stewart was such a fan.

"Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    New Orleans Opera is putting on "Tchaikovsky's Joan of Arc"....

Which, I get it... Name recognition and everything, but... "The Maid of ORLEANS"... 😂

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    New Orleans Opera is putting on "Tchaikovsky's Joan of Arc"....

Which, I get it... Name recognition and everything, but... "The Maid of ORLEANS"... 
    I don't like these name adaptations either. I recently reviewed a performance of what the opera company called "Mary Queen of Scots" which I'd rather see referred to by its proper name, Maria Stuarda.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    I never knew Sir Patrick Stewart was such a fan.

Another reason to love him.
    Natalie

9. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    I don't like these name adaptations either. I recently reviewed a performance of what the opera company called "Mary Queen of Scots" which I'd rather see referred to by its proper name, Maria Stuarda.
    I referenced this trend in my review this morning of Otello, but Washington National Opera now cites all of its operas in English. I guess they would be stuck with something like Siegfried, but "Twilight of the Gods" just doesn't do it for me.

Neither do translations into English - the cadences and impression just aren't the same. I guess it's a thing, but meh.

11. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The World Series was one of the really great moments since I've lived in Washington, DC - and, I was able to see both, so it was all good!

13. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I referenced this trend in my review this morning of Otello, but Washington National Opera now cites all of its operas in English. I guess they would be stuck with something like Siegfried, but "Twilight of the Gods" just doesn't do it for me.

Neither do translations into English - the cadences and impression just aren't the same. I guess it's a thing, but meh.
    Dear me -- does this mean Verdi's The Troubadour and a double bill of Mascagni's Rustic Chivalry with Leoncavallo's The Clowns? (Or might the latter get billed as Send in the Clowns?)

15. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Dear me -- does this mean Verdi's The Troubadour and a double bill of Mascagni's Rustic Chivalry with Leoncavallo's The Clowns? (Or might the latter get billed as Send in the Clowns?)
    Nooooo!
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

17. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Something to brighten your day:

Anthropomorphic march from Norma

https://www.classicfm.com/composers/...st-short-film/

19. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Something to brighten your day:

Anthropomorphic march from Norma

https://www.classicfm.com/composers/...st-short-film/
    Thank you! That's beautiful.