Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Met imposes quarantine for artists arriving from China, Iran, South Korea, Japan, Italy, and Hong Kong because of coronavirus.

https://parterre.com/2020/03/03/met-imposes-quarantine/
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

2. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I fear we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg here. I think we have a pandemic on our hands, and we're going to see more event cancellations, travel bans, and quarantines before this virus runs its course.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    I fear we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg here. I think we have a pandemic on our hands, and we're going to see more event cancellations, travel bans, and quarantines before this virus runs its course.
    I think you're right.

I can't decide whether to be worried or to just carry on as normal. Two singers from the La Scala YAP have got it and La Scala will remain closed for the foreseeable future. Presumably these two were healthy prior to catching the virus and I'm curious to know just how ill, previously healthy people are once they've actually been diagnosed.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

5. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A little operatic comic relief:
    "Music is enought for a whole lifetime--but a lifetime is not enough for music." --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

7. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    A little operatic comic relief:
    Brilliant!

9. Likes Florestan, Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    She's back:
    "Music is enought for a whole lifetime--but a lifetime is not enough for music." --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

11. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today is Siegfried Jerusalem's 80th birthday.

13. Likes Florestan, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel uncomfortable about all these online performances which opera houses/concert halls have started to broadcast for free; so much so I've stopped watching. None of the artists who appeared will be paid and although some of the 'big stars' will be OK financially, every single artist in the music business has lost their livelihood.

The venues could have asked for a nominal donation to support the artists which appeared in that particular performance and I don't think many people would have objected.

I don't know if the Met paid the singers who appeared in the livestream but neither the orchestra nor the chorus were paid.

15. Likes MAuer, Florestan liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    I feel uncomfortable about all these online performances which opera houses/concert halls have started to broadcast for free; so much so I've stopped watching. None of the artists who appeared will be paid and although some of the 'big stars' will be OK financially, every single artist in the music business has lost their livelihood.

The venues could have asked for a nominal donation to support the artists which appeared in that particular performance and I don't think many people would have objected.

I don't know if the Met paid the singers who appeared in the livestream but neither the orchestra nor the chorus were paid.
    Opera streaming and DVD sales are never a source of income to most of the people who worked on that production on-stage or back-stage. So why are opera companies now giving so much away "for free", so to speak? I think, to show their donors that they are still doing *something*. Why should they donate, if the opera is boarded up and not providing some kind of content or service? Donation dollars to the arts are scarce during an expensive disaster, so they are trying to say they are providing culture and emotional support to everyone affected and stuck at home.

But I understand where you're coming from - it would be nice if the opera companies could support their artists. I just think they are mostly hanging on for dear life. I've been looking to see if there are any good funds set up for artists that we could donate to. Los Angeles Opera actually has one, but I couldn't find any others specifically for opera singers, musicians or stage workers in the UK or other US markets.

17. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if one knew of an up and coming artist with high potential (or just potential), then a donation could perhaps be individually directed. I don't know, just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    Opera streaming and DVD sales are never a source of income to most of the people who worked on that production on-stage or back-stage. So why are opera companies now giving so much away "for free", so to speak? I think, to show their donors that they are still doing *something*. Why should they donate, if the opera is boarded up and not providing some kind of content or service? Donation dollars to the arts are scarce during an expensive disaster, so they are trying to say they are providing culture and emotional support to everyone affected and stuck at home.

But I understand where you're coming from - it would be nice if the opera companies could support their artists. I just think they are mostly hanging on for dear life. I've been looking to see if there are any good funds set up for artists that we could donate to. Los Angeles Opera actually has one, but I couldn't find any others specifically for opera singers, musicians or stage workers in the UK or other US markets.
    I'm happy to say the Cincinnati Opera has established an Artists Relief Fund in the wake of the 2020 season cancellation. Season subscribers could donate the cost of their tickets to this fund in lieu of receiving refunds or credits toward the 2021 season subscription. I've donated! (And, of course, people can make donations to this fund aside from subscription costs.)

20. Likes Nemorino liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post

It's a very difficult situation and I have to confess I've watched loads of free stuff in the past and not felt guilty. But now that none of the artists or creatives are earning anything, I feel like I'm taking advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    I wonder if one knew of an up and coming artist with high potential (or just potential), then a donation could perhaps be individually directed. I don't know, just a thought.
    That's certainly one solution.

22. Thanks Florestan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In an interview in the June issue of Das Opernglas, Jonas Kaufmann mentions that Shakespeare based his Othello on an actual incident involving a Sicilian General who was active in Venice and had killed his wife. This man’s surname was supposedly Moro, and somehow, he became mistakenly identified as a Moor as a result. However, I think JK himself is mistaken when he says Otello is a Muslim, or at least a non-Christian. When one looks at the text of the “Esultate,” I think it’s fairly plain when Otello proclaims “L’orgoglio musulmano sepolto č in mar; nostra e del ciel č gloria,” exulting that the Muslims are buried in the sea and glory belongs to “us and Heaven” that he’s speaking as a non-Muslim and as a Christian. He may well be a convert to Christianity, but to me this text suggests that Otello identifies himself as both a Venetian and a Christian.

24. Likes Florestan, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    In an interview in the June issue of Das Opernglas, Jonas Kaufmann mentions that Shakespeare based his Othello on an actual incident involving a Sicilian General who was active in Venice and had killed his wife. This man’s surname was supposedly Moro, and somehow, he became mistakenly identified as a Moor as a result. However, I think JK himself is mistaken when he says Otello is a Muslim, or at least a non-Christian. When one looks at the text of the “Esultate,” I think it’s fairly plain when Otello proclaims “L’orgoglio musulmano sepolto č in mar; nostra e del ciel č gloria,” exulting that the Muslims are buried in the sea and glory belongs to “us and Heaven” that he’s speaking as a non-Muslim and as a Christian. He may well be a convert to Christianity, but to me this text suggests that Otello identifies himself as both a Venetian and a Christian.
    Thanks Mary. Very interesting; especially about the name.