Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jephtha View Post
    Indeed! I can't even begin to imagine it. Of course, if he had lived that long, there comes the inevitable question: would other composers have developed differently? For example, would Beethoven have given up in despair round about 1795 or so, thus depriving us of the great works of his middle and late maturity? Would Haydn have composed The Creation, since the inspiration came about due to a suggestion from Baron van Swieten, who would surely have directed his energies toward Mozart had he been alive at the time? Fun to think about!
    Head exploding ever so little here. These are really not things I should be thinking about with a music history exam beginning tomorrow!

Staff Writer & Reviewer - Life-time Donor Veteran Member Jephtha's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    Head exploding ever so little here. These are really not things I should be thinking about with a music history exam beginning tomorrow!
    LOL! Sorry about that, Aksel! I guess it really is fruitless to consider 'what might have been'; it's a bad habit of mine. But, like so many bad habits, lots of fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jephtha View Post
    LOL! Sorry about that, Aksel! I guess it really is fruitless to consider 'what might have been'; it's a bad habit of mine. But, like so many bad habits, lots of fun!
    No worries. I rather love counterfactual history myself. And if nothing else, it can be an interesting exercise.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck!
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Big deal, such exam... to help you as much as I can, I want to remind you, just in case...

REMEMBER SALIERI DIDN'T KILL MOZART AMADEUS STORY IS MADE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Came across the following little quote from La Bellissima in a German magazine:
    "I love my curves. As a grown woman of 41, I don't want to be thin. Everything else is a question of the right dress."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Came across the following little quote from La Bellissima in a German magazine:
    "I love my curves. As a grown woman of 41, I don't want to be thin. Everything else is a question of the right dress."
    That's how you recognize true artist with profound personality, he always talks about amount of fat in his flesh in press interviews. Did she forget momentous quote from another wise woman of opera world, Angela Gheorghiu: pop music is for the body, but opera is for the soul? Indeed, listening to pop music enhances your physical condition, improves circulation of blood, regulates stomach acid, makes good things for face complexion... perhaps Anna Netrebko cares so much for her body that she listens exclusively to pop music in order to create additional curves and for that reason forgets to listen to opera for her soul. Here are the results, she can't say anything interesting or insightful in the interviews. The correct formula: listen for opera for the soul 2 hours a day and pop music 1,5 of hour a week to keep your soul and physical health in proper balance, that is, to have some curves and at the same time remain able to talk about other things.

Staff Writer & Reviewer - Life-time Donor Veteran Member Jephtha's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne of Green Gables View Post
    That's how you recognize true artist with profound personality, he always talks about amount of fat in his flesh in press interviews. Did she forget momentous quote from another wise woman of opera world, Angela Gheorghiu: pop music is for the body, but opera is for the soul? Indeed, listening to pop music enhances your physical condition, improves circulation of blood, regulates stomach acid, makes good things for face complexion... perhaps Anna Netrebko cares so much for her body that she listens exclusively to pop music in order to create additional curves and for that reason forgets to listen to opera for her soul. Here are the results, she can't say anything interesting or insightful in the interviews. The correct formula: listen for opera for the soul 2 hours a day and pop music 1,5 of hour a week to keep your soul and physical health in proper balance, that is, to have some curves and at the same time remain able to talk about other things.
    You have the gift for sarcasm, highly advanced! Thanks for a good laugh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Der Jonas talks about Lohengrin and opera in general. Very interesting.

Opera Lively's Journalist Involved Member Elektra's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just wanted to post it, because it's really interesting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Elektra View Post
    Just wanted to post it, because it's really interesting!
    It is. His thoughts on Lohengrin and the Richard Jones production in general were fascinating!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mixed feeling here. What he says about people's abilities to imagine being lesser than in the past - should we adopt to it? Should opera - high art - adopt to people whose taste was crippled by popular culture? It's making things worse, it's withdrawing from last bastions. These bastions are not ones that deny the truth and keep unchanged in spite of reality, but ones that still hold possibilities for people for being challanged with something they're not often challanged with anymore and by that restore something what has been lost in them.

He certainly has views and understanding on what he does as actor and singer, though I have diffrent approach to some matters he talks about here.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is. His thoughts on Lohengrin and the Richard Jones production in general were fascinating!
    Yes, what is interesting is that he managed to convey everything he talked about (ie Lohengrin's human rather than heroic side, his hopes and aspirations and disappointments) within the production, through his acting and singing. I actually didn't need the explanation, because I had already felt it when I watched the Jones production.
    Natalie

Senior Member Involved Member brianwalker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He has an Irish accent.

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another little item from a German magazine: Rolando Villazon appeared on Carmen Nebel's talk shown on ZDF (one of Germany's major TV networks), and completely charmed viewers -- especially when he drew an impromptu sketch of a couple in the audience. They were delighted, and now have quite a collector's item.