Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, in a way. It is now 4:21 AM and I'm up for 45 minutes already.

Two conclusions in these first three days of almost complete incommunicability: a) the Callas Carmen gets really fine when you have nothing else to compare with and b) cows and horses are much easier to handle than a dozen children actors and actresses.

Schigolch
    I never said all actors are cattle; what I said was all actors should be treated like cattle

Alfred Hitchcock

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is the movie about, Festat?
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is about children labor exploration in rural zones, Alma. The screenplay is very disturbing. It is horrible to think things like these we are shooting actually happen.

My obligation to make 15 tireless playing kids look abused and unhappy is much more, though. I've only worked with children as a cinematographer, now as art director I have to actually deal with them.

PS: Making dirt look natural is much harder than it seems.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    How is it called? Will we see it as a major release?
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a confession to make. I never listened to any opera, I never could force myself to listen to even one minute of this howling. I just wanted to be elite and sophisticated so I started to hang up with opera geezers like you so they would consider me like them, tough enough to listen to something unlistenable for common people... all my views are in fact some googled stuff I copied, changed a little bit and pasted as my contributions, I also knew one guy who likes opera and sometimes I asked him like HEY TELL ME ABOUT SOME RECORDING and I posted here what he told me as my own reviews he also told me that some John Diego Flowers is great so I started to pretend I'm great fan but when I tried to listen it was all some annoying AAAaaaaAaAAazaAAaAaaa mya felicitAaaAAaaa, mya felicitAaaAAaaa, and I couldn't stand it, same goes with classical music in general, when nobody hear I listen to Motorhead and stuff like that it gets me going yeah like that some MOTORHEAD DABARDIBA MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT and awesome riffs, okay, now that guy is gone and I don't feel like googling everything, you would discover it one day anyway so I thought I'll just confess, not everybody has to listen to this stuff it doesn't mean I can't be someone, get married and stuff, okay, I feel guilty but I want to change my life

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder how you'll compose your first opera without listening to it. But hey, Beethoven did just that, so, there is hope.

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Beethoven did listen to operas written by others, including Paer. He was certainly familiar enough with the latter's Leonora to be influenced by it when composing his own version.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    I have a confession to make. I never listened to any opera, I never could force myself to listen to even one minute of this howling. I just wanted to be elite and sophisticated so I started to hang up with opera geezers like you so they would consider me like them, tough enough to listen to something unlistenable for common people... all my views are in fact some googled stuff I copied, changed a little bit and pasted as my contributions, I also knew one guy who likes opera and sometimes I asked him like HEY TELL ME ABOUT SOME RECORDING and I posted here what he told me as my own reviews he also told me that some John Diego Flowers is great so I started to pretend I'm great fan but when I tried to listen it was all some annoying AAAaaaaAaAAazaAAaAaaa mya felicitAaaAAaaa, mya felicitAaaAAaaa, and I couldn't stand it, same goes with classical music in general, when nobody hear I listen to Motorhead and stuff like that it gets me going yeah like that some MOTORHEAD DABARDIBA MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT and awesome riffs, okay, now that guy is gone and I don't feel like googling everything, you would discover it one day anyway so I thought I'll just confess, not everybody has to listen to this stuff it doesn't mean I can't be someone, get married and stuff, okay, I feel guilty but I want to change my life
    I is having a bad week & stuff like this cheers me

Thank you kind sir
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas

Post Thanks / Like
    So I want to buy tickets for this Flórez recital in Rome and I find one site in Italian and it leads elsewhere into other magical site in Italian and I don't know what to do and there's the other site in English and it has diffrent ticket prices (!) and it accepts only payment via credit card and I don't have credit card and they want to fax it, what's that, faxing tickets you buy, maybe I'll make one myself in paint and print it, how about that, I'll write "section: stage, seat: Flórez's head" and what, anyway, I'm confused HELP here is event's page at organizer's site: http://www.santacecilia.it/concerti_...120524&o=20.30

Post Thanks / Like
    Tickets bought online in America are often to be printed at home. The bar code on the ticket is what matters, and they're not upset about faxing it or emailing it to you for your own printing, for the simple reason that the readers at the door will only validate that bar code once, so if you allow someone else to copy or print your ticket you won't both be able to get in so it's not in your interest to do this. So I wouldn't be upset because they want to fax the ticket to you. As for the lack of a credit card, see if they accept PayPal, which you can fund from a checking account. I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, fine, but I have no fax and never paid for anything in advance any other way than simply going to post office, I just filled the blank for bank accounting, gave it - along with the money - to the lady in magical window... THAT'S HOW WE DO IN FERNEM LAND, now I expected usual situation when I order the ticket, they give me bank account number, I pay at the post, they receive and send it, but nothing works like I'm used to, it's astonishing how diffrent the world became since I stopped following... just in case, do we still attach scarfs of our heart's beloveds to our helmets? I don't want to look old-fashioned when I get to Rome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have stores like Staples or FedEx in Poland? In such places you can receive a fax if you don't have a fax machine.
    Yes, we do attach the scarfs to the helmets. Don't forget to bring your helmet to Rome otherwise they won't let you in.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Helmet? Whaddyamean helmet? Who wears a helmet in Italy?
    Natalie

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Helmet? Whaddyamean helmet? Who wears a helmet in Italy?
    Nobody. Don't need to - Italy has lots of hospitals.
    "Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables."

FRANZ SCHALK, attributed, Losing the Plot in Opera: Myths and Secrets of the World's Great Operas